What scope power magnification/diameter for western big game up to 500 yard shots?

What scope power magnification/diameter for western big game up to 500 yard shots?

• 3-9x40

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • 4-12x40

Votes: 21 9.0%
  • 4-16x42

Votes: 51 21.9%
  • 6-18x44

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • 5-20x50

Votes: 27 11.6%
  • 6-24x50

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • 3-18x50

Votes: 69 29.6%
  • 3-15x44

Votes: 38 16.3%

• Total voters
The best reason to put a high magnification zoom scope (ex: 4-24x50) is so that you can evaluate an animal or rack before you pull the trigger.
My reason too!
I have had 8 back surgeries and have other health problems so I cannot carry a spotting scope and my bino's are light but adding spotting scope will keep me in the truck.
4 years ago I spotted a heard of elk and my scope prevented me from tracking a heard of cow elk.

500 yards is about the average distance for my big game shots over the past 15+ years for over 60 deer and antelope. All have been shot with variable scopes that fall in the 5x20x50 range with my carry setting at 8-10X for initial FOV purposes, and the faster shots at the shorter distances. Max power setting at the shot are dependent on conditions(foliage, lighting, other game in the vacinity, etc) but a 20x max setting is a sweet spot for me. Given my aging eyes, I'm more particular about glass quality for low-light conditions, and a fast/easy to acquire horizontal reticle scale for wind holds which become more critical as the distances approach 500 yards and beyond.

I can't afford high end scopes on all of my rifles.
What I do care about most is holding zero.
Several of my medium range rifles have BDC reticles and I match them with load development. (Like the two I shot today)

My longer range rifles have dial up scopes.
I think I mentioned much the same in #10.
There are a lot of optics to choose from that'll work for what you're talking about. I like good glass as well, but a scope that tracks reliably, RTZ, and holds zero is more important. It really boils down to features you want and budget.
I have and do violate my 20 ounce goal. It's very hard not to, especially since I've been using a 3-10X42 NF SHV a lot these last few years.

Bucks fight, they break brow tines often. When bucks get 260 lbs and larger, they often have broken brow tines. An out-of-state whitetail tag can be expensive and add travel expenses. When you shoot a large buck with a broken tine, you feel like a fool. Lesson I learned, use enough glass, 5-25x, 8x-32x are normal for me and my whole family on the longer range rifles, 4x-16x on 300 yd guns.

When I shot this weekend I had no issues hitting the shoulder on steel buffalo at 800 yards or the shoulder/ vitals of a steel coyotes on 750 yards (6X). I haven't shot big game at long range but there are areas that it maybe necessary. I have shot two badgers at 496 yards and 659 yards (coldbore first shot hits). I even took a shot at a coyote at 1754 yards (missed by inches). All with a fixed 10X SWFA. Magnification wasn't really my concern, better glass quality would have been nice. At those distances accurate dialing is also a necessity.

Thanks all. I have a couple of high magnification Arkens I am going to sell and put money towards a couple of higher end scopes in the 15x - 16x range. If any one is interested, they will be posted in the FRO SALE section or you can PM me.

I took the 3x15 44mm... with me, it's all about clarity over power, I've used lower power, very high-quality 6x42mm scopes that easily did the job at 500 yards, granted the extra power lets you check out racks, and so on, but that's why I carried good binos. Just my 0.2 Cheers

Thanks all. I have a couple of high magnification Arkens I am going to sell and put money towards a couple of higher end scopes in the 15x - 16x range. If any one is interested, they will be posted in the FRO SALE section or you can PM me.
Now with all I have said let me state there is nothing wrong with better glass with higher magnification. All I am saying for me the glass quality is more important. I'd be a liar if I said I didn't consider say some NF in the higher magnification range. All I'm saying is what MY needs are. It's your money, you gotta get what works for you. Just get better glass. ;)

That's the best reason for quality binos/spotting scope :)

Quality binos are normally 8x-10x and won't get the job done where higher magnification is needed. Carrying around a spotting scope & tripod isn't very practical for many types of hunting.

If you plan to sit on a high ridge and glass all day, it's hard to beat a high-quality spotting scope and a rigid tripod. For me, I'll take a nice 5-25x50 rifle scope for most of the hunting that I do.

I have a 4-20 x 50 Nightforce ATACR on my 6.5 PRC and it is perfect for the shots I take out to 600. I am sure it is plenty for a lot farther than that but 6-700 is where I draw the line. I can practice to 600 at my local range so I know exactly where the bullet hits the mark once I send it. I also have a 3-18 x 50 Swarovski that is fantastic at the range you are looking at.