What scope power magnification/diameter for western big game up to 500 yard shots?

What scope power magnification/diameter for western big game up to 500 yard shots?

• 3-9x40

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • 4-12x40

Votes: 21 9.0%
  • 4-16x42

Votes: 51 21.9%
  • 6-18x44

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • 5-20x50

Votes: 27 11.6%
  • 6-24x50

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • 3-18x50

Votes: 69 29.6%
  • 3-15x44

Votes: 38 16.3%

• Total voters
I run a Leupold 3-18x 50mm and a Nightforce 4-32x 50mm. Practice on steel out to 600 yards. Usually end up shooting an animal around +/-100 yards on the lowest power setting. I guess it is always good to be prepared for the longer shot ("if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball"), however depending on what/where you are hunting the lowest power 2x, 3x, etc. can usually get it done.

I like a higher high, with a lower low. Thank goodness we have those options these days.
More detailed view when needed, wider field when backed out.
I'm 20/20 also.

Nothing less than 20x for Me these days. 25 and 32x are nicer! Not getting younger
After spending quite a bit of time shooting out to 1560 yards, I'm going the opposite direction. I feel like for me 18-20x on the top end is absolute max.

I much preferred shooting 8x to 800, 10x to 1000 and I found myself shooting 12-13x out to 1560.

Even on a mild recoiling 260AI at 13#, I found it easier to spot shots (and misses/splash) at lower magnification. The wider FOV at lower power helped a lot.

I have an ATACR 5-25 that I would love to trade for a 4-20.

Now another good question to go with the original OP's question.

Have you actually taken game at 500 yds or more?

I have, how about you all?

Nope, only to 440 on a Pronghorn…….my 3.5-10 Leupold was plenty.

Perhaps Prairie Dogs @ 500+ would require a bit more on the high end…..but then, that's not big game! memtb

Longest shot for me on game was a doe pronghorn at 495 yards.
Have shot a few elk at 400-450 yards. I have also missed at that distance also.
I much prefer to have shots inside 200 however that's not always possible. I practice on milk jugs out to 1200 yrs but will never shoot at a animal that far. 500 is my limit and that's only prone off of bi-pod in good conditions.

For big game my two main scopes are 3.5-10x40 Leo's with M1's on top. For out to 500 I can easily pick my spot on a critter with them! Only place I could envision wanting more would be in the brush in Sonora for Coues but I don't guide down there anymore and I haven't hunted down there forever......
This would be my preference but wasn't listed. I've found most of the higher powers kinda heavy for my western hunting. I've also had mirage issues with higher than 12 power when it's been hot. I'd rather put my money into higher quality than higher magnification. And extremely long shots in low light are to be avoided.

I have taken game out west to 500 yards and beyond (I live in Wyoming). I would say a scope with a top end power of 14x or 16x should be fine.

You don't need a 50mm objective…that will just add unnecessary weight, which is important if you're chasing animals in vertical country…which is prevalent out west.

For western big game out to 500 yards I'm not that concerned with magnification, glass quality is a bigger issue for me. Even with my fixed 6X SWFA I shot a .223 out to 800 yards and was hitting a small rock. And that fixed 6X doesn't have alot of magnification or good glass quality. For me good glass quality for target identification, FOV so I can get on target faster, light gathering, and weight are the issues for western big game hunting. With a recent shoulder injury on my support arm side I don't need a big heavy scope or rifle anymore.