What scope power magnification/diameter for western big game up to 500 yard shots?

What scope power magnification/diameter for western big game up to 500 yard shots?

• 3-9x40

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • 4-12x40

Votes: 21 9.0%
  • 4-16x42

Votes: 51 21.9%
  • 6-18x44

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • 5-20x50

Votes: 27 11.6%
  • 6-24x50

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • 3-18x50

Votes: 69 29.6%
  • 3-15x44

Votes: 38 16.3%

• Total voters
I have a 3-12 and a 3-15 that I find to be plenty.

In my experience, optical quality trumps magnification, meaning I'd rather have a 3-12 with good glass than a cheap 5-25.
Agree. Put a 3-12x56 Zeiss Victory *T on my Granddaughters 270 win. More than enough scope for a 470yd head on shot on a mule deer. She shot it in the mouth and scrambled it's brain. No meat damage.

Not a fan big objective lenses, though I guess that they have their place. I prefer to keep the objectives a bit smaller, as to keep the scope barrel closer to the action.

Plus large objectives add weight…..not only am I "carry weight" conscience, but (and I may be incorrect) a heavy scope takes more punishment on a high recoil rifle. memtb

Not a fan big objective lenses, though I guess that they have their place. I prefer to keep the objectives a bit smaller, as to keep the scope barrel closer to the action.

Plus large objectives add weight…..not only am I "carry weight" conscience, but (and I may be incorrect) a heavy scope takes more punishment on a high recoil rifle. memtb
The scope on her rifle weighs 18oz. Zeiss makes good stuff.

I got anxious today after reading this thread and went out and shot a couple of rifles, 284 Win with 2-10 and 308 with 2.5-10 scopes.
Left was cold bore at 500 with 284 Win and right was 2 with 308 at 400 and another from 284 Win.

Attachments

• IMG_5052.jpeg
    IMG_5052.jpeg
    318.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5053.jpeg
    IMG_5053.jpeg
    322.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Thanks for all of the inputs. I can see my thought process on longer range optics has not been accurate. I am trying to get rid of the cheaper sale items I have purchased over the last few years and upgrade quality. I have started on my firearms and wanted to do the same with optics, but wanted to go into it with the right mindset.

Of course don't limit yourself with lower powered optics if you feel you want a higher powered scope.
Many hunters on this sight use higher power glass with great success…. Especially ELR shooting or hunting.
I go with lower powers due to weight most of the time. I like to stay under 20 ounces when possible, with the whole optics package including rings and bases. It's sure getting tougher to stay at that weight limit if you want a feature rich scope.

I go with lower powers due to weight most of the time. I like to stay under 20 ounces when possible, with the whole optics package including rings and bases. It's sure getting tougher to stay at that weight limit if you want a feature rich scope.

I can't afford high end scopes on all of my rifles.
What I do care about most is holding zero.
Several of my medium range rifles have BDC reticles and I match them with load development. (Like the two I shot today)

My longer range rifles have dial up scopes.

Last edited:
I purchased a meopta optka5
2.5x10 power. It's kinda of a heavy optic for what it is. I like the clarity of the glass and parallax adj. Down side is the adjustment for elevation is small numbers. It balances out my Kimber Montana 270. The rifle was very whippy and hard to shoot off hand. But just a little more weight on the scope and it's pointing and much easier to control for me off hand. I had a Leopold v3hd 3.5x12 on it. Sometimes you just have to experiment with things to find out what works best for you. If you like hubble telescopes on top of your hunting rifle with all the bells and whistles that's okay nothing wrong with that 😀