What scope power magnification/diameter for western big game up to 500 yard shots?

What scope power magnification/diameter for western big game up to 500 yard shots?

• 3-9x40

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • 4-12x40

Votes: 21 9.0%
  • 4-16x42

Votes: 51 21.9%
  • 6-18x44

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • 5-20x50

Votes: 27 11.6%
  • 6-24x50

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • 3-18x50

Votes: 69 29.6%
  • 3-15x44

Votes: 38 16.3%

• Total voters
Put me in the category of wanting more magnification. I have 7-35 ATACRs on my hunting rifles. Having more zoom can be beneficial. I keep the scope on about 18X and can zoom either way quickly.

I use 10X or 12X binos for glassing

I personally like either my 8 X 32 x 56 Sightrons or 5 x 20 x56 Nightforce for extended ranges. For 500 or less the 5 x 20 x 56 is plenty. I've just always liked 56mm obj. lenses for my hunting because I need the twilight performance. They are heavier than some of you would prefer I'm sure but quite necessary where I do most of my hunting.

Sorry to hear that Ed. That makes my blood boil. Especially when a rifle scope won't be nearly as good as a spotting scope. And heck many binos will be better than rifle scope many will mount on their rifles.

I have used up to 15X ninos. They don't compete with 25X or 30X rifle scope for resolution at long range.

I have used up to 15X ninos. They don't compete with 25X or 30X rifle scope for resolution at long range.
NL Pure's will smoke any rifle scope known to man, personal experience proves it. High mag simply tricks the brain into thinking it's "better", never mind the difference between using both eyes vs one. If rifle scopes were better than binoculars for resolution at any range we'd all have rifle scopes mounted to our tripods instead of binoculars.

NL Pure's will smoke any rifle scope known to man, personal experience proves it. High mag simply tricks the brain into thinking it's "better", never mind the difference between using both eyes vs one. If rifle scopes were better than binoculars for resolution at any range we'd all have rifle scopes mounted to our tripods instead of binoculars.
100 percent nailed it.

I guess since the criteria of this post was shots out to 500 yards on game I originally stated high magnification isn't my main concern. I'd rather have a mid powered scope with excellent resolution, low light gathering, accurate color, and reliable turrets. I scan well past 500 yards with 10X Minox binos and am happy with those. Out past 1k it still works for me. Heck I spotted a pack of coyotes sunning themselves a mile away this past summer with those binos. And took a shot at them with a fixed 10X scope. My binos are far clearer, brighter, and have better resolution than my riflescope. But the binos were no match for scoring an antelope I spotted over a mile away. So out came the spotting scope. That's where a spotter will save you miles of hiking. And you won't risk covering someone with your muzzle.

Last edited:
I don't know about anyone else but if I see someone pointing and looking at me thru their rifle scope I'm just going to immediately think they have bad intentions and will automatically start to return the threat behind cover.
Every tool has its purpose they should be used as intended bad things happen if they are not.
I have had bullets snapping passed my head and body because some dip $#@&
Was shooting at an abandoned trailer with no back stop. We almost got into a gun fight.

Never be careless about gun safety even if you think no one's around.

About 5 years ago some target shooters shot a kid in the head while target practicing because they never checked what was behind their target. They we're shooting in the direction of a dirt road.
Shot the kid with the parents driving on a Sunday cruze.

Don't do stupid things and stupid stuff won't happen.

I tent to prefer 3-15ish range for everything. Some guys really like a 20x, my issue with that is I like to hunt on full power and 20x makes it really hard to find something quickly in the scope. 15x is doable and is plenty of magnification for long shots.

The only advantage to a high power scope is if you are shooting short range precision 22LR or some other discipline shooting tiny dots. Otherwise they are only unnecessary cost, weight, loss of resolution, loss of light transmission and unusable due to mirage.

Yeah, but you are not going to sit and glass for 8-10+ hours with a riflescope. Guaranteed.

Plus, I have had people "glass" ME with a riflescope, and I was not freaking happy about it.
FTR, I wasn't advocating "glassing" with a rifle scope. What I am saying is I use my 12x binos for locating. If I need to take a better look at a specific animal, I will use my scope.

I will guarantee if you glass that long with a spotter, you're gonna be cross-eyed afterwards.