What scope power magnification/diameter for western big game up to 500 yard shots?

What scope power magnification/diameter for western big game up to 500 yard shots?

• 3-9x40

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • 4-12x40

Votes: 21 9.0%
  • 4-16x42

Votes: 51 21.9%
  • 6-18x44

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • 5-20x50

Votes: 27 11.6%
  • 6-24x50

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • 3-18x50

Votes: 69 29.6%
  • 3-15x44

Votes: 38 16.3%

• Total voters
I'll say this. I would not use my rifle scope as a spotting scope for the reason Lance listed. Binos for scanning, spotting scope if needed for identification and scoring, rifle scope for harvesting. If I choose not to carry the spotting scope then I have to get closer to score with my binos.

Swarovski 2-12x illuminated.
Probably one of the best, brightest hunting scopes I have used. It has taken game while mounted on my 300WM, 30-06 and .308 Win. I'm always moving scopes around on different rifles. This 2-12x 50mm now sits on my M70 375 H&H. Seems like the perfect scope for that rifle if I make it back to Africa again (have hunted cape buffalo/plainsgame in Zim twice previously). Having fun now shooting the 375 H&H at the range with it.

I like to play with my Kestrel 5700 AB, so my hunting rifles currently wear Nighforce NX8's, S&B PM II and Leupold VX-6HD's for dialing. Although the last two seasons I shot two cow elk. One at 285 yards and one at 405 yards. Left the scope on 3x both times and never touched the dial. Both elk down with one shot (thank you Hammer bullets).

Playing around with different rifle, cartridge, load, scope combinations is half the fun. I find joy in the process and search for the best combination.

Lance, I know that you're a much younger and in much better shape than many of us……but, how far do you carry that set-up on a daily basis when hunting?

Even when I was young and in good shape……that's a lot to carry and put miles on during a hunt. memtb
Good news for me, I won't be packing anything like that. The guides should have that and with my disability, there would be minimal walking. It sucks, as I used to pack in with a bow several miles. One hunt, packed in an entire camp 5 miles and hunted from it as a base camp. Those days are long gone. It's okay. You just have to adjust and do what you can to get out hunting.

Good news for me, I won't be packing anything like that. The guides should have that and with my disability, there would be minimal walking. It sucks, as I used to pack in with a bow several miles. One hunt, packed in an entire camp 5 miles and hunted from it as a base camp. Those days are long gone. It's okay. You just have to adjust and do what you can to get out hunting.

Absolutely, I can't even think about some of the backpack hunting trips that I made when much younger, without hurting.

I'm sorry that you're somewhat disabled, but seemingly you have addressed that.

I was just wondering about the terrain, road/trail accessibility, ect. that Lance hunts in, to be able to have access to the long range gear needed for his long range hunting! It seems to be very different that that which many of us hunt.

Certainly, not intended as a "slam" on Lance…..just curious! memtb

I'll say this. I would not use my rifle scope as a spotting scope for the reason Lance listed. Binos for scanning, spotting scope if needed for identification and scoring, rifle scope for harvesting. If I choose not to carry the spotting scope then I have to get closer to score with my binos.

Why? Once you find the game, what is wrong with verifying with a much higher magnification optic?

Why? Once you find the game, what is wrong with verifying with a much higher magnification optic?
Because spotting scopes are used for scanning and target identification. If you spot something but are unsure what it is and bring your rifle up on it you might cover a person. Like Lance was covered with a muzzle.

And a lot of people who use their rifles as spotting scope scan with them. A sure way to cover a hunter, hiker, our other person with a rifle.
This has happened to me more than once, it's inexcusable.
I deer hunted with a co-worker in 2000. I harvested a muley buck. When we met, he said he was watching me from a ridge. I asked him how he told me through his scope. I told him how I felt about it, especially when I offered my extra binocular. That was the first and only time I hunted with him.

I deer hunted with a co-worker in 2000. I harvested a muley buck. When we met, he said he was watching me from a ridge. I asked him how he told me through his scope. I told him how I felt about it, especially when I offered my extra binocular. That was the first and only time I hunted with him.
Sorry to hear that Ed. That makes my blood boil. Especially when a rifle scope won't be nearly as good as a spotting scope. And heck many binos will be better than rifle scope many will mount on their rifles.

I guess not having binos or spotting scope is a dead give a way of a hunter that scans with their rifle.

I guess not having binos or spotting scope is a dead give a way of a hunter that scans with their rifle.
Depends on terrain. I've never hunted deer with binos or a spotter, but I've never killed a buck past 90 yards either. Due to bear hunting I finally started packing binos last year

Last edited: