What makes the 6.5 PRC special?

The 30-378 is also almost .2" longer than the Lapua and .421" longer than the Norma.
2.724" 338 Lapua
2.913" 30-378
2.492" 338 Norma
That is where your capacity differance is coming from.
Take the 300 win mag at a case length of 2.620" and from what I can find looking on the web has a case capacity of 89-93 gr. H2o.
The 28 nosler has a case length of 2.590" (.030" shorter and smaller neck diameter)
And has a h20 capacity of around 100 grains.
The thirty Nosler and the 7mm Weatherby are only separated by. 007" and the nosler has it by almost 8 grains h20.
Same as the STW vs 28 Nosler debate. Their basically the same case capacity but the Stw is .260" longer to match the capacity of the Nosler because of the differance in case design between a belted and none belted.
Apples to apples the non-belted will always have a capacity advantage.

I'll tell you why I chose it:
1. I can get good factory ammo (I don't have the time to take up reloading too).
2. Favorable accuracy.
3. It gives me more velocity than my Creedmoor, making it a reasonable mid-range caliber for coyotes to deer to bear to elk.
4. Reasonable recoil.
5. It'll fit in my short action.

Would I love 6.5x55 AI, 260AI or similar? Sure. But those are the exclusive provenance of the reloader. Unlike many who have the time or resources to devote to reloading, there are those of us who want to shoot well but don't have those luxuries.

So despite all of the threads maligning it, or suggesting that offers nothing that the 6.5-284 or others don't, and despite the "crappy brass", it's a good option for me.

Great Answer ! All TRUE and even if the brass is Crappy your not reloading so you could care less !

The 30-378 is also almost .2" longer than the Lapua and .421" longer than the Norma.
2.724" 338 Lapua
2.913" 30-378
2.492" 338 Norma
That is where your capacity differance is coming from.
Take the 300 win mag at a case length of 2.620" and from what I can find looking on the web has a case capacity of 89-93 gr. H2o.
The 28 nosler has a case length of 2.590" (.030" shorter and smaller neck diameter)
And has a h20 capacity of around 100 grains.
The thirty Nosler and the 7mm Weatherby are only separated by. 007" and the nosler has it by almost 8 grains h20.
Same as the STW vs 28 Nosler debate. Their basically the same case capacity but the Stw is .260" longer to match the capacity of the Nosler because of the differance in case design between a belted and none belted.
Apples to apples the non-belted will always have a capacity advantage.
Yes, but you only said same base/rim diameter... You never said anything about length. This is proving my point that I stated several pages back, when I stated that case length and cartridge shape/design played more of a part in capacity than base/rim diameter, and whether it had a belt or not.

Everyone goes on about it being a "Short " action Well I looked it up and the difference between Long and Short is about a half an inch? Are you kidding me 16 pages over 1/2
an inch...Really ? I own 2 belted mags..And I'm sure that my 7MM RM or 300 WM
will kill anything just as dead and just as far as a 6.5 PRC..Heck my 6.5 X 284 will take anything
a 6.5 PRC will! The 6.5 PRC is not a big deal to me ..just sales hype!
Creedmoor sales must be slipping? Look at all the used 6.5 rifles for sale, that should say a lot!

https://ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/short-action-rifle-versus-long-action/

Last edited:
Everyone goes on about it being a "Short " action Well I looked it up and the difference between Long and Short is about a half an inch? Are you kidding me 16 pages over 1/2
an inch...Really ? I own 2 belted mags..And I'm sure that my 7MM RM or 300 WM
will kill anything just as dead and just as far as a 6.5 PRC..Heck my 6.5 X 284 will take anything
a 6.5 PRC will! The 6.5 PRC is not a big deal to me ..just sales hype!
Creedmoor sales must be slipping? Look at all the used 6.5 rifles for sale, that should say a lot!

https://ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/short-action-rifle-versus-long-action/
I highly doubt used 6.5 rifle sales has anything to do with the slipping sales of the CM. It's probably more to do with the amount of them out there. According to gun broker theres more used 308 rifles for sale than 6.5 creedmoor. Guess that means 308 is on its way out then door? Hardly!

Nope..not at all.The .308 has been here how many years? 20X's or more than the
Creedmoor? Stands to reason doesn't it? I looked it up .308 = 1952
6.5CM = 2007 that's 55 years? There should be a lot more 308's.

Last edited:
When the 6.5 PRC has more stable brass support I might consider it because by then Mr. Sherman May have had time to improve it.
Then it will be special.:D

Thank you for your answer and that is my problem with the belt. It is not needed therefore to me is useless. And their is one undeniable advantage to a belt less cartridge. More powder capacity for the same length of case. Don't take this as I'm a belted case hater. I have one and wouldn't mind having another one.........or two.

Relevance of the history lesson?
Obviously they were designed from different parent cases. The fact is that for the same rim diameter and the same length( as base to body shoulder and base to neck shoulder) a beltless case has more capacity compaired to a belted case.

The 30-378 has a larger rim diameter. Not myth. FACT! Reread my post. If you have two cases with the same rim diameter, the same measurement from base to body shoulder junction, same measurement from base to neck shoulder junction and the same length. The beltless case has more capacity.

Yes, but you only said same base/rim diameter... You never said anything about length. This is proving my point that I stated several pages back, when I stated that case length and cartridge shape/design played more of a part in capacity than base/rim diameter, and whether it had a belt or not.
Said it three times. Very clearly I thought.

an inch...Really ?

The difference is closer to 1 inch than 1/2 inch. The action screw hole spacing difference is .850".

I do not have a -284, and have a hard time finding the coal of factory ammo, but the spec says 3.228 vs prc at 2.95.

I do have proof that a prc will fit into an aics accurate wsm mag with dbm, And know 3.2 absolutely will not.

Umhumm, I asked a simple question and seems to have turned into a schit storm. At this point I will continue to read and stick to my 260AI. But, I have gleaned some valuable info and learned that a simple question, at times, is not simply answered. Oh well! MTG

Umhumm, I asked a simple question and seems to have turned into a schit storm. At this point I will continue to read and stick to my 260AI. But, I have gleaned some valuable info and learned that a simple question, at times, is not simply answered. Oh well! MTG
From someone who built a prc, no way in hell I would be changing to a prc if I already had a 260ai that hammered.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts