What is your preferred scope reticle calibration?

What is your preferred scope reticle calibration?

• MOA

Votes: 835 80.8%
  • mRad

Votes: 199 19.2%

• Total voters
thanks for the reply, now for a daft question if 1 mil is 3.6inches @ 100 yards can one say 200 yards is 6.12 inches or am i way off ?

next daft question my wife has bought me a mildot master for my sightron scope what is the thought of such a product.

anyone got any ideas ?

I must also apologise i have given the wrong load data for 223 69 sierra boat tails it is n140, viht 25g and not 26.5 sorry for this mistake.
anyway i be of now been hard day and i am bushed .

thanks for the reply, now for a daft question if 1 mil is 3.6inches @ 100 yards can one say 200 yards is 6.12 inches or am i way off ?

next daft question my wife has bought me a mildot master for my sightron scope what is the thought of such a product.

anyone got any ideas ?

I must also apologise i have given the wrong load data for 223 69 sierra boat tails it is n140, viht 25g and not 26.5 sorry for this mistake.
anyway i be of now been hard day and i am bushed .
you are a little off. Remember its just like moa but a different measure. since one mil is 3.6 inches at 100 yards 3.6x2=7.2 so one mil is 7.2 inches at 200 yards.

The mildot master is a good piece of kit. once you get the hang of it, it will serve you well.

hi again its nick in uk, manchester. If you had a nightforce 12-42 x 56 N P R 2 reticle and is zero @100 yards .how would you use this scope ? the turret clicks are one eighths clicks . this rifle at present is for range work weighting 14 lbs . lightbulb

hi again its nick in uk, manchester. If you had a nightforce 12-42 x 56 N P R 2 reticle and is zero @100 yards .how would you use this scope ? the turret clicks are one eighths clicks . this rifle at present is for range work weighting 14 lbs . lightbulb
If memory serves me correctly, that is a bench rest scope. A heavy 14 pound target rifle is what Nightforce designed this scope for. that particular scope has 1/8th moa clicks. so instead of 1/4 moa clicks like most moa scopes this one has much finer adjustments. each click will move the bullet 1/8th of an inch at 100 yards 1/4 of an inch at 200 yards and so on. 8 clicks equals one moa. If memory serves me correctly this scope has a very fine cross hair that will not obscure the x ring when cranked way up to 42 power. for a target range, this is a very good thing.

Mil is actually unitless

Paw Bear is 100% correct. the term mil can be applied to anything you desire. Unfortunately, many people like to use slang terms more than I care for. It can often be confusing just as it has been for the original post.
I worked for 46 years as a machinist, toolmaker, instrument maker, tool & cutter grinder and 25 of these years were as a working shop supervisor in a research facility at the University of Illinois.
I grew to hate that term mil, simply because almost everyone that uses it seems to believe it has only one application and they are the absolute authority on what's correct. In a previous post someone mentioned it isn't a linear measurement.
Well, they've never talked to as many mechanical engineers as I have (which is in the hundreds) because I've met only a handful that didn't use the term to mean anything other than 1/1000 of an inch or .001 inches. I've also dealt with hundreds of students looking to have something fabricated. 30-40% of them were foreign. Metric was their way of measuring. At least 50% of the foreign students were also well versed in mechanical engineering. They used the term to mean millimeter, which is 1/1000 of a millimeter or .03939 inches, which approaches 40 times the accepted US .001 inches.
Although not as often, 3rd in line from my experiences, I've heard a student or professor use "mil" when they're referring to a millionth of an inch.
I'd like to further point out that decimal degrees is as fast as anything else used for calculating.
I was however surprised to read that it also had something to do with dividing a circle into something other than units different that 1/1000th. I'm 71 and still learning. This term "mil" seems to include 5 times more than I first suspected.
Since I'm darned sure I don't know everything and I'm not the absolute authority on all the ways the term mil (lowercase BTW) is acceptably used, I darned certain what my experience is & I've had 46 years of it. I've often wished the term "mil" didn't exist because of the confusion it seems to cause.

A few of you need to swallow their pride. For myself, I've been humbled more than I care for in my life.

No Sir. RF is for (Range Finder), I laser the distance and dial in moa.

Jeff

Thank you sir, I appreciate it. The older I get the more new technical jargon there is. Sometimes I need some help separating the old from the new. The number of abbreviated terms is sometimes a little overwhelming so I ask.
I saw something at the beginning of this thread "mRad" vs. "MOA" (I know what MOA is) but it made me think about Radians.

Thanks again

TracySes23,

as you were explaining on how confusing it can be.

The "mRad" would have to be referring to milliradian or mil... :)

To all:

I like this quote:

A mil is a mil. My reticle is my ruler, i dont care what it translates to. If i need to add .3 right or up thats what i do

I have used both, I like both as long as the reticle and the turrets are both the
same as has already been mentioned, but MOA is the "ruler" with more precise
tic marks!

As we know:

∏ = 3.14159265 radians
∏ = 180°
1 radian = 180/3.14159265 = 57.295780°
1 milliradian = 57.295780°/1000 = 0.0572957795°
1 milliradian = 0°03'26.265"

1 moa = 0°01'00" minute of angle

For a clear comparison, the 0°03'26.265" is what causes the 3.6" @ 100 yards and
3 feet @ 1000 yards.

Forgive my mumbling! :)

Paw Bear is 100% correct. the term mil can be applied to anything you desire. Unfortunately, many people like to use slang terms more than I care for. It can often be confusing just as it has been for the original post.
I worked for 46 years as a machinist, toolmaker, instrument maker, tool & cutter grinder and 25 of these years were as a working shop supervisor in a research facility at the University of Illinois.
I grew to hate that term mil, simply because almost everyone that uses it seems to believe it has only one application and they are the absolute authority on what's correct. In a previous post someone mentioned it isn't a linear measurement.
Well, they've never talked to as many mechanical engineers as I have (which is in the hundreds) because I've met only a handful that didn't use the term to mean anything other than 1/1000 of an inch or .001 inches. I've also dealt with hundreds of students looking to have something fabricated. 30-40% of them were foreign. Metric was their way of measuring. At least 50% of the foreign students were also well versed in mechanical engineering. They used the term to mean millimeter, which is 1/1000 of a millimeter or .03939 inches, which approaches 40 times the accepted US .001 inches.
Although not as often, 3rd in line from my experiences, I've heard a student or professor use "mil" when they're referring to a millionth of an inch.
I'd like to further point out that decimal degrees is as fast as anything else used for calculating.
I was however surprised to read that it also had something to do with dividing a circle into something other than units different that 1/1000th. I'm 71 and still learning. This term "mil" seems to include 5 times more than I first suspected.
Since I'm darned sure I don't know everything and I'm not the absolute authority on all the ways the term mil (lowercase BTW) is acceptably used, I darned certain what my experience is & I've had 46 years of it. I've often wished the term "mil" didn't exist because of the confusion it seems to cause.

A few of you need to swallow their pride. For myself, I've been humbled more than I care for in my life.
in the context of this conversation, the term mil is short for milradian. not the same thing is 1/1000th of an inch and has nothing to do with decimals. many people thing that mils in this context is metric because they are not hearing the complete word which is milradian. there are 7200 miradians in a circle if my memory serves me correct. its an angular unit of measure that comes from artillery field. when looking through a mildot scope. one mil subtends 3.6 inches at 100 yards 36 inches at 1000 yards I use to be able to quote the mil relation formula from memory but that was a long time ago. if your turrets match your mildot reticle each "click" is 1/10th of a milradian

TracySes23,

as you were explaining on how confusing it can be.

The "mRad" would have to be referring to milliradian or mil... :)

To all:

I like this quote:

I have used both, I like both as long as the reticle and the turrets are both the
same as has already been mentioned, but MOA is the "ruler" with more precise
tic marks!

As we know:

∏ = 3.14159265 radians
∏ = 180°
1 radian = 180/3.14159265 = 57.295780°
1 milliradian = 57.295780°/1000 = 0.0572957795°
1 milliradian = 0°03'26.265"

1 moa = 0°01'00" minute of angle

For a clear comparison, the 0°03'26.265" is what causes the 3.6" @ 100 yards and
3 feet @ 1000 yards.

Forgive my mumbling! :)

I don't know about you Eaglet, but I'm 71 and the older I get the more I mumble.:) I catch my wife looking at me like I'm losing it sometimes.

I suspect engineers use Radians more than most. Working in & supervising in machine shops for 46 years, I used trig tables & the Pythagorean theorem which would suffice for 90% of my needs. I loved it when scientific calculators came out which had everything I needed in one place. No more looking for my trig tables.

in the context of this conversation, the term mil is short for milradian. not the same thing is 1/1000th of an inch and has nothing to do with decimals. many people thing that mils in this context is metric because they are not hearing the complete word which is milradian. there are 7200 miradians in a circle if my memory serves me correct. its an angular unit of measure that comes from artillery field. when looking through a mildot scope. one mil subtends 3.6 inches at 100 yards 36 inches at 1000 yards I use to be able to quote the mil relation formula from memory but that was a long time ago. if your turrets match your mildot reticle each "click" is 1/10th of a milradian
I must correct my last statement. there are only 6400 milradians in a circle. Not 7200

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.