What is your preferred scope adjustment calibration?

What is your preferred scope turret adjustment calibration?

• MOA

Votes: 834 80.8%
  • mRad

Votes: 198 19.2%

• Total voters
I voted MOA/MOA.

Canada is a metric country, at least thats what they tell me. We apparently operate in metric, though I dont know too many people that can tell me about how big 38mm is but pretty much anyone over the age of 12 can tell me what 1-1/2" looks like.

I have both, and like both, but I feel that for hunting the system being based on inches is faster for corrections.
When we convert evreybody over to meters instead of yards for everyday use is when mills will become top dog.

The other thing is that most scopes in mills are a little courser than mill adjustments (3.6\10= .36" compared to .25"). This is however changing with the 1/8 mill adjustments.

Whatever the case... make them match!

I use both MOA and MIL. I voted for MIL
I prefer MIL/MIL. I prefer the 1/10 MIL clicks or even a/20 MIL clicks over the 1/4 MOA clicks. Just is a little bit easier for me think, maybe it's the smaller numbers on a ballistics chart with MIL (for example 6.31MILs vs. 21.68MOA). I have a lot of MIL reticles on my scopes so having MIL dials goes well with that.
I do not enjoy the bump in price that often comes with MIL dials.
I enjoy switching scopes between my rigs, so I really like MIL/MIL or MOA vs. ballistic compensated dials.
Just personal preference.

hi its nick dadamo again, on recent scope enquiries the replies and info has been very helpful. However i was given help with working out mils 3.6 @ 100 yards, up tp 600 yards for my 223 rifle as the scope is mil rad scope.

Somewhere on this web site seen bits of info on M.O.A. in 1/8 th clicks. Is there any info on using 1/8th clicks on a Nightforce N P R 2 RETICLE ? IN 1/8th clicks ? i know 8 clicks is equal to one M.O.A.

For instance 1/8 inch @ 100 yards .
1/4 inch @ 200 yards.

Is there a calculation to work out up to 600 yards ?

cheers nick dadamo.:)

For instance 1/8 inch @ 100 yards .
1/4 inch @ 200 yards.

Is there a calculation to work out up to 600 yards ?

cheers nick dadamo.:)

Nick, If I understand you correctly. You mean like x 6? In other words you mean like on a 1/8th moa turret it would be 1 click at 600 yards would be 6/8th or 3/4 inches?

To further this at 500 yards 1 click would be 5/8th inches. at 400 4/8th or 1/2"

Is this what you were asking?

Jeff

Hi to you all, i have 308 in M.O.A. and now have 223 in Mil Rad, not so bad got to learn how to use. Very fortunate that a shooting mate is police marksman, using mil rad scope and has spent time in teaching me.

keeping it simple and plain. best way forward.

anyway All the to you all shoot straight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!gun)

The total truth is it doesn't matter. Both have their application. My current scope is a Night Force NXS in FFP with an MRAD reticle, MLR2.0 to be precise. It suits me to prefer MRAD calibrations. I'm traveling to New Zealand to hunt Thar and Chamois in August; very cold. The long shots will be easier to calculate in my head if I'm using MRAD's. For me that is. I'm Australian and we switched to metric before I was born. Imperial calculus has always been non essential for me.

My scientific calculators [I have one in the shop, one on the desk, one in the reloading room, one on the dining table, and one in the car], all have a degrees / radians switch.

Ever drive around a pi/2 corner?
Ever see a lathe marked in milliradians?

No one does. They do it in degrees.

Ever take the derivative of sin(x) in degrees?

No one does. They do it in radians.

So carpenters, machinists, surveyors, etc use degrees.
So mathematicians use radians.

But electrical engineers use both, all the time.
Which ever is more convenient.
Radians for complicated math derivations.
Degrees for communicating verbally about phase shift.
The glide slope antenna I worked on was with degrees.

Gear designers [mechanical engineers] and motor control designers [electrical engineers] use both all the time.

Each has their advantages.

But in scopes, they are about the same.... as long as the reticle matches the turret.

Why do I have so many IOR and Leupold scopes with moa [degrees] turrets and milliradian reticles?

If you dial elevation, it doesn't matter except; IPHY & MOA adjustments are typically finer than MIL adjustments.
If you laser range, the reticle doesn't matter, as long as it's fine enough at power to center your aim within the target. Your reticle could be a single 1/16 IPHY dot.

I actually do not have a favorite, my target rifle has a Vortex PST with mrad and my hunting rifles all have moa. I would imagine that most do not know that 1 mrad is 3.6 moa. The biggest problem could be shifting from moa to mrad and vs vs, nothing that a strong cup of java can't fix :).

Well moa its what i am use too i guess, it is what my leupold mark4 uses... I do wonder though if I would enjoy mill though... since my scope adjust in 1 min angles i some times wonder what 1/4 or 1/8 would feel like shooting out to 1000 yards?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.