What home made hunting snacks.

Reelamin

Anyone make their own power bars, protein, energy snacks? I made one run with the Kuiu muffins and oat balls. Very filling and stick with you for a long time. Like to hear what you make.

This stuff I make that the kids call "Jimmy Mash". They love it with butter.
Wild rice, brown rice, jade rice, salt, pepper, cumin, cayenne pepper, turtle and fava beans. Sometimes I add this dry cured sausage I know as "sopressa". Because of the turtle beans, it looks like a black mash. By my calculation, it's ~ 18% protein. Best of all, it doesn't make me sleepy.
I'll make a pot of it at the beginning of a trip, will eat it cold for days.
When I go out, I'll bring a tin of it and some jerky in my day pack.
Mornings I'll fry it with an egg, night time I'll wrap it in a gordita, slather it with Secret Aardvark hot sauce, and wash it down with stout (or IPA - depends if the temps are cool enough).

Did you make the "MONSTER ENERGY BALLS" on kuius page? I've been wanting to try those out.
Yes. Freaking awesome and used nut butter instead of peanut butter and coconut oil instead of butter.

Also tried with m-ms and with dried cranberries. Across the board other than women fruit won 100 to 0.

Energy balls with oatmeal and all the ingredients you like add some honey to make it all stick together
My favorite is Frosted Flakes and peanut butter etc , they are delicious and stay good at 70 degrees or freezing temp. They last weeks

Thanks

Buck

Tried making my own recipe for oatmeal energy bars felt like a real pioneer when I put the in my day pack then about 10:00 am decided to have a snack and they were nothing but crumbs ,so I just poured them in my mouth ,taste great ,next time I'll throw a spoon in to .

1 lb. ea All Raw unsalted - Cashew butts, English walnuts, Almonds, pistachios,
1/2 lb raw unsalted- filberts, pumpkin seeds
1/4 lb raw black walnuts
I mix together and fill a ziplocked sandwich bag to desired amount.
pipingrock.com only place I can find the raw hauled unsalted pistachios
enjoy, this lasts me a month

Did the Kuiu muffins again today with zucchini carrots dried cranberries raw blue berries and used monkfruit sweetener instead of maple syrup.
For about 10-10 no go on the blue berries and loved the sweetener. Also preferred apple over zucchini

I do an oat, almond butter, honey mixture as a base and add stuff from there. You can add nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips, or whatever. My kids like to add Nutella but that's a little much for me. You can add ground up flax seed or just about anything. I don't really have a recipe just keep adding stuff until I like the consistency. Usually I will just roll it up into a big bar and pull chunks off when I'm hungry

I do an oat, almond butter, honey mixture as a base and add stuff from there. You can add nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips, or whatever. My kids like to add Nutella but that's a little much for me. You can add ground up flax seed or just about anything. I don't really have a recipe just keep adding stuff until I like the consistency. Usually I will just roll it up into a big bar and pull chunks off when I'm hungry
We made the Kuiu bars and they are too soft. Would be squished to soup in the pack. How do they hold up in the pack for 8-10hrs hunting?

I have used my uncle's jerky recipe for years and it's easy.

1/2 Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 Teriyaki Sauce for the main marinade, then add low sodium soy sauce and a touch of Liquid Smoke more for smell than for taste, make a dry rub seasoned to taste of brown sugar, salt and pepper. Use whatever cut of meat, I use venison, thinly sliced and trimmed of any excess fat.

Marinade in a metal pan by adding a layer a thin layer of the marinade to the bottom, rub your sliced meats and add them on top of the marinade, add more marinade to just cover the added meat, add more rubbed meat and repeat the marinade and layer of meat process until you either fill the pan or run out of meat. Put the filled pan in the freezer and when the marinade gets slushy/crunchy pull it out and put it in the refrigerator, add more marinade to keep the meat covered as required, once thawed to a liquid place back in the freezer, repeating this process for a couple of days.

I use a LEM older 9 tray that belonged to my uncle before he passed away. Before I bought him that, he used a propane powered smoker he modified by completely sealing it off and adding several temperature gauges to it. His preferred temperature was 170* and he used paperclips and steel rods to hang the meat from the rods via the paperclips. I always thought that method produced the best results, but the dehydrator works well once you get the correct time and temp settings, although it has a Jack Link's style texture versus the dried out style of the jerky from Robertson's Hams.

We made the Kuiu bars and they are too soft. Would be squished to soup in the pack. How do they hold up in the pack for 8-10hrs hunting?
Mine? Pretty good in the pack. You can play with ingredients and g
yupp. Play with the ingredients and make them thicker by adding more dry stuff (oats) or thinner with the wet stuff ( honey and nut butters).