What to mix with ground venison?

bobinpa

Hi guys. In the past I've mixed pork with my ground deer meat and it has been good or maybe good enough...... so what else can I do? I've heard that I can also use beef fat, beef tallow or pork fat. I guess I am looking for a way to make my venison stick together without actually adding another meat to it. What do you guys suggest?
Thanks in advance, Bob

when I make venison meatballs I just add egg for my binder. all my venison is pure ground, I don't add any fat when grinding . if I am going to make burgers I do add ground pork. Not sure what you are making I also make elk ABT's and use Philadelphia creme cheese for my filling that usually is also a good binder. Dam now I am going to have to fire up the smoker for some Elk ABT's

when I make venison meatballs I just add egg for my binder. all my venison is pure ground, I don't add any fat when grinding . if I am going to make burgers I do add ground pork. Not sure what you are making I also make elk ABT's and use Philadelphia creme cheese for my filling that usually is also a good binder. Dam now I am going to have to fire up the smoker for some Elk ABT's
Tell me about Elk ABT's? I use the creme cheese and bacon etc... but what do you do with the Elk?

morning, 50% deer, 30% bull meat, and 20% pork. the beef adds
talo. the pork adds good taste. the seasoning is a persons preference.
I take my own meat. let the meat market do the mixing and
1lb. packages. each person has their preferences. GBOT TUM

Tell me about Elk ABT's? I use the creme cheese and bacon etc... but what do you do with the Elk?
brown up the elk drain the tiny bit of fat off while still hot mix in Philadelphia creme cheese
sometimes I will season meat with ac leggs pork seasoning
I cut bacon stripes into 3rds,
pack the halved jalapeño with elk mixture put a 3rd slice over top with toothpick holding in put in smoker 2 to 4 hours.

Back in the day when I took several meat processing classes in college, we as a class did blind taste tests with different wild game using pork and beef suet in burger, sausage, etc. Pork fat won hands down. Our professor advised it went like that year to year. Haven't messed with beef fat since.

I have been adding hickory smoked bacon to elk for many years...not only does it smell good while being cooked in whichever device you want to cook with....but it adds just a hint of aroma and taste to the burger, stir fry, spaghetti or whatever else you are planning....
1# of smoked bacon to 10# of cleaned meat.....I clean the meat of most every tendon or anything else I don't want to chew...makes for much better finished product.....

I use bacon ends and pieces when I make sausage. I've never tried adding anything other than egg and breadcrumbs to burger as we grind it when we need it. Otherwise it stays large cuts in the freezer. Cubed meat for stews and chilis.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.