What to mix with ground venison?

Pork of various types will add to and compliment the flavor of Elk. I have made burger with ends and pieces.

Up the fat level with some pork a little egg and I personally skip the bread crumbs.

my ground meat , I add 1 pound of bacon to 10 pound of venison . it seems to add enough fat to hold the burger together , and adds a little bacon flavor . the last couple years I go to the local butcher and get his shredded bacon , it's a lot easier to work with than store bought sliced bacon .

For burgers, 75 % ground venison 25% cheap (fatty) ground beef. If you can get just the beef fat, I use 10% ground beef fat with 90% ground venison. For sausage, 50/50 pork butt roast (ground of course).

Another vote for beef fat. I go higher in percentage to some on here. I add about 20-25%.

I mix beef suet with mine 20 beef /80 venison then it depends what I'm going to make if I add pork too and if I do add pork it's pork sausage for meat loaf or meat balls. That would be about 1/2 lb. pork sausage to 2 lbs. venison beef mixture. For burgers I just add onion soup mix and a little red wine to venison beef mixture.

this is a good hamburger recipe , we use the ground venison with .

from the back of the Lipton onion soup and dip mix box .

best ever juicy burger

1/2 cup Hellmans real mayonnaise
2 lbs ground burger
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1 packet Liptons onion soup mix

mix all together and make your burgers .

My preferred styles
Ground venison burgers /10% beef suet
Venison Meat loaf / 25% or more pork
Sausage /20%-30% fatty pork butts ...........Happy Grilling!

Forgot, I really like to keep the venison fat off of the back end when it has that thick white look.

Last edited:
Salt and pepper. Why take a natural low fat healthy food you gathered up on your own and water it down with hormones and steroids? If you let your burger thaw out on it's own instead of putting it in the microwave it will stay together if you are carful. If not real cheese is the glue of life and makes a dandy cheese burger. I guess I just like my elk, deer, bear and other food straight up.
Dave

For burgers, 75 % ground venison 25% cheap (fatty) ground beef. If you can get just the beef fat, I use 10% ground beef fat with 90% ground venison. For sausage, 50/50 pork butt roast (ground of course).
Also, I've always felt it kept better if no fat is added until you are ready to cook it. Freeze your meat without adding anything. Fat is the first thing to go bad in a freezer. We trim every little bit of fat and membrane off meat before freezing.

I buy a big packer(fatty) brisket and grind it in with my deer and elk burger. Gives great flavor and enough fat to hold it together. I add at about 10-20% ratio, higher % for deer.

Just did some ABT's with hot venison sausage mixed with the cream cheese. They were great We don't add fat to ground venison and when we need binders (rarely) use bisquick, and or eggs,

Looks like i will be trying some new recipes this fall.

I love the taste of almost all game and don't like to mix pure fat with it, so I use pork roast and beef roast, (They have some fat marbled in the meat). I like my meat lean even though its not as easy to cook.

My preference is to use wild pork and even turkey blended in with the venison. For elk burgers, the usual eggs and seasoning is all I add.

Lots of good recipes to try.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.