What to mix with ground venison?

We buy fatty roasts when on sale before season, then throw them in the freezer. On grind day, we cut up the roasts and bacon and grind it in with the venison and antelope.

Pork fat, hands down, preferably kidney fat/leaf lard if available.

Also, if by "good enough" you mean your meat in the past still had an unpleasant flavor, then I would suggest making sure you: 1) check your carcass handling/cooling/aging and butchering practices, all of which can largely eliminate gaminess, and 2)don't grind junk, just meat.

No offense if that's not what you meant, and you already have a handle on that, btw.

Haha, this reminds me of times at my table and family gathered around when we have a discussion about me eating beef and pork fat off the roast. I don't know but seems to me all the flavor is in the fat.

You might call me a weirdo here but still. My taste in food is quite out of the ordinary and not sure that many people would like to see what I eat, but hey let's give it a show, shall we? What do I like with pork? Pork belly with Caviar. Is something I tried a while back and ever since that day I was hooked. I choose this weird combo because where I live to get your hands on some Caviar is hard. I did manage somehow thanks to https://osetrus.com/ Did cost a bit, but it's only because I live in a very "unpopular" part of the U.K. Anyhow, how I made the dish isn't really all that hard. Writing it down would be way too long, much explaining is needed. You can just look it up, simply. Sadly, I di not find a video review on the dish, not really a big surprise as it's not that popular. Did come across an interesting video on the different pork bellies

It's a shame that there is not much known on this dish as it is quite unique and good for you. Hopefully, I was able to show some light on it and make you informed of it's "presence" on the menu.

I like 70% venision / 30% thick cut bacon. Perfect amount of fat for binding and cooking.
I did this this year. Used "Ends and pieces" of bacon you can buy in bulk at the grocery store. Made some hamburgers when it was fresh and grilled them with just salt and pepper. They were great! Made up a bunch of it, (We shot 5 deer this year) and vacuum packed it. After sitting in the freezer since November, the bacon taste overpowers the deer. I've always just ground up my meat and if I mixed it with anything, done it right before cooking. I thought this would be a better way and less trouble when we use it. I've tried it with beef in the past, and it didn't keep well that way. The only way you can mix deer with anything and have it keep well seems to be making it into sausage with a pork mix. I'm going to go back to just grinding it up, and mix it with cheap (70%) hamburger meat before cooking when I need it to stick together.

when I make venison meatballs I just add egg for my binder. all my venison is pure ground, I don't add any fat when grinding . if I am going to make burgers I do add ground pork. Not sure what you are making I also make elk ABT's and use Philadelphia creme cheese for my filling that usually is also a good binder. Dam now I am going to have to fire up the smoker for some Elk ABT's

ABT's... albatross, bacon & tomato?

https://www.acronymfinder.com/ABT.html

Last edited:
Back in the day when I took several meat processing classes in college, we as a class did blind taste tests with different wild game using pork and beef suet in burger, sausage, etc. Pork fat won hands down. Our professor advised it went like that year to year. Haven't messed with beef fat since.

What's a good percentage mix for burgers/ground venison/elk?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.