Mushroom hunting

birddog 68

Curious how many here purposely go out mushroom hunting and do you only target specific shrooms? I am a opportunistic mushroom hunter. If I am out turkey hunting and come across some morels the turkey hunting comes to a halt while I collect my share. I recently came across some chanterelle mushrooms when on a hike and commenced to filling my fanny pack. Sheepshead are a great find in this area in the fall.
We enjoy eating all of these and I love to find them!

LOL …. That's exactly how I mushroom hunt in the spring … morels were a little scarce we're I hunt this year … mushroom hunting this time of coincides with putting my cameras out

I hunt morels in the spring, mostly while fishing or turkey hunting. I need to educate myself on other offerings.
I did educate myself on the chanterelle mushrooms this year. I was hiking by them and looked them up and I am glad I did. They are very good! Very expensive to buy since they can't be cultivated and must be foraged.

Morels can be found around dead elm trees. If a guy can see in the woods, find a 75 -80ft tree with no bark, all turned grey from sun, with all it's branches still intact, good chance it's an American Elm tree. Even the smaller dead elm trees are a Morel mushroom hangout. In the Fall, the Chicken of the Woods, around the White Oaks, not bad either.

I need to study up on mushrooms. A neighbor was an avid mushroom hunter and found a bag full Chanterelle in the woods behind my house. He gave me half of the bag. They were awesome. Sadly he is no longer with us. I miss him and the tasty gifts he so kindly shared.

the guys are finding milky mushrooms on our lease .

I was a very young kid when I'd go picking with my Grandpap . Grandpap picked pinkies , and papinkies . after we picked he went through my bucket and kept the good ones .

IMG_0988.jpeg