What can be done with poachers on game cams??

He won't get prosecuted if the propertys not posted, gun in arms or not. Once he's warned by the land owner, it's the same as being posted. Posting property is necessary if there exists continual trespass. Personally I do not like posting my property. If it's necessary, I will post. Again, the local game law man can and will effectively get the guys mind right if he's not a knucklehead that just wants conflict with landowner and law. Either way, 100% of the time, the issue will resolve one way or the other.

I assume this is in WV? Here in Montana it is assumed trespassing even if not posted AND it is written in the law that it is on the hunter to know where he is.

Hi all,

So if you followed any of my recent posts, you know that we're trying to start buck management on our property of 600 acres in central WV. Well one of the main issues is that we have poachers moving onto our property and killing bucks while we aren't there (property is around 1.5 hrs from where I reside). Well over the past few nights we have pictures of some guy at 3:55 am on our property with a rifle and a night vision scope. We know exactly who it is, confronted him, and he claims he was "hunting coyotes". My question is: is there anything that can be done? Is a picture from a game cam enough to give to a game warden?
Thanks!
Anything can be done? Well if you waterboard him with diesel fuel it's not torcher. Most criminals know the "law" better than the people they violate.
Lack of consequences is why they do it. I have some military brothers in WV that might be able to help. Depends on what you want done about it.

The Department may inspect the following: (a) all boats, markets, stores and other building, except dwellings, and all receptacles, except the clothing actually worn by a person at the time of inspection, where birds, mammals, fish, reptiles, or amphibia may be stored, placed, or held for sale or storage. FGC 1006

This is not even close to being true

Any law enforcement officer can go up to someone's house and knock on the door and ask questions. It's called a knock and talk. Now whether you come to the door and talk to the officer is another thing. Most people actually do come to the door and will talk to the officer. I imagine this guy will be taken by surprise and open the door. And at the very least will have it in the back of his mind next time he tries it again...or if he tries it again.

This is not even close to being true
Well in WV the DNR does NOT need a Warrant to check your coolers in the back of a truck, search your Home and take you rifle for forensic testing, Take game meat for identification DNA vs. poached remains.

They can do all of the above without even a complaint or even probable cause.

I seen the young DNR man, on foot, go after an old guy on an ATV and give him a DUI/ open container.

I'd say at a minimum they have more power than local law enforcement whom barely understand local noise ordinance...

Any law enforcement officer can go up to someone's house and knock on the door and ask questions. It's called a knock and talk. Now whether you come to the door and talk to the officer is another thing. Most people actually do come to the door and will talk to the officer. I imagine this guy will be taken by surprise and open the door. And at the very least will have it in the back of his mind next time he tries it again...or if he tries it again.
Well in WV the DNR does NOT need a Warrant to check your coolers in the back of a truck, search your Home and take you rifle for forensic testing, Take game meat for identification DNA vs. poached remains.

I seen the young DNR man, on foot, go after an old guy on an ATV and give him a DUI/ open container.

I'd say at a minimum they have more power tha. n local law enforcement whom barely. In ohio they cant do any of that

So you are telling me that when someone calls in a complaint about their neighbors that the police can't go to the neighbors house and knock on the door to talk to them? Because I will tell you that they can.

its no different in this situation. The individual knows who it is and told the warden his complaint of possible law breaking so the warden is going to investigate and ask questions. You can do that as a law enforcement officer in any state.

So you are telling me that when someone calls in a complaint about their neighbors that the police can't go to the neighbors house and knock on the door to talk to them? Because I will tell you that they can.

its no different in this situation. The individual knows who it is and told the warden his complaint of possible law breaking so the warden is going to investigate and ask questions. You can do that as a law enforcement officer in any state.
Yep thats what im telling you

I'd say at a minimum they have more power than local law enforcement whom barely understand local noise ordinance...
That's the way I understood it with game wardens.

LRH members participation on this topic is epic!
Any and all action from enforcement agencies is great but the dreaded bullet of the outlaws is US users. Most of the bad boys out there are known by our neighbors, friends and daily contacts. Scum killers play the odds. Sportsmen and Wildlife lovers need to " think out of the box " and turn the odds. Ask more questions, gather more evidence and turn more of the suckers in! This has been a WINNER in Oregon. Our TIP " Turn in a Poacher program now REWARDS THE GOOD GUYS with added PREFERENCE POINTS ! Give it some thought in your state it is works.

Well..in my past in Oregon being a guide...
A game warden us actually hired thru the state police dept...so they are fully funded..and somewhat misleading...
Several years ago the state instituted a "crossover" of policemen....a city cop now has rights to travel outside city limits with purpose...can be nearest cop in emergency or backup for county and state police..a city cop can check you for game inside the city..but has to call a state game warden to cite you..a county sheriff can check you anywhere within his county...and can site you....well...a Hwy patrol most of the time defers to a game cop..because of nature of case......
However.....
A citizens arrest is just as strong if not stronger than any cop...and it has to be ran thru court...
A citizens arrest against an officer will reach court..and someone will pay a hefty price.....
But you have to be willing to prosecute.....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.