What bullets for 1000 yards

I have read all 7 pages of this post and have come to the conclusion that all bullets are the same you can use a
target for hunting and hunting bullet for punching paper. In this post it looks like more shooter are using target
bullets for hunting for me I shoot the heaviest bullet with the best BC I can get for that round.

I have read all 7 pages of this post and have come to the conclusion that all bullets are the same you can use a
target for hunting and hunting bullet for punching paper. In this post it looks like more shooter are using target
bullets for hunting for me I shoot the heaviest bullet with the best BC I can get for that round.
No Sir, all bullets are not the same. I determine the type and weight bullet based on the distance I will shoot an animal and how large the animal is. I must take into consideration at what speed and distances my chosen bullet will totally expand and at the very least call that my max distance. There are many and varied other aspects to consider before releasing a round at a distance that I can never call back once I trip the switch, I feel certain that you are aware of all these and are only being facetious with your remarks. JMHO , Sir

No Sir, all bullets are not the same. I determine the type and weight bullet based on the distance I will shoot an animal and how large the animal is. I must take into consideration at what speed and distances my chosen bullet will totally expand and at the very least call that my max distance. There are many and varied other aspects to consider before releasing a round at a distance that I can never call back once I trip the switch, I feel certain that you are aware of all these and are only being facetious with your remarks. JMHO , Sir
For every person that says a certain bullet doesn't work for hunting there's another that says they work great. I've basically stopped worrying about it and just do your best to place a good shot.

My only exception to this is lathe turned solids that are not hollow points. I don't know if they will ever cause sufficient damage/ energy transfer

Yes Sir you are correct I started hunting big game at the age of 14 with a Remington 700 243. I'm 73 and still hunting I always look
at the size of game I'm hunting and the distance I'm be shooting and decide what weight of bullet I need. As for all bullets are the same one bullet company might have a thin jacket on there match bullet and a heavy jacket on it hunting bullet, all the bullet makers
have there own ideas with hollow point, soft point and ballistic point. I used to shoot all hollow points now I'm using one hollow and
the rest are ballistic.

Well, I'm back! They did a major overhaul on my shoulder which took two hours. I can now pick up my 7x300 which weighs in at 13 lbs with a 7x35 Nightforce. This years goal will be to drop a deer at 1200 yds plus. Then two months ago I had a basil cell removed from the right side of my nose that was cancerous. Surgery was successful but lost all feeling on that side of my nose. I feel like I'm some kind of magnet for surgery. Hope all you guys had a great season.
Sendero72
You joined the club!😅

Since the concept of LONG RANGE Shooting and Hunting have gained such incredible popularity, I would love to see the bullet companies conduct a Long Range Test of their own products and publish the results. Example :270 Bullets in the 150 to 170 grn weight range ;7mm in the 175 to 190 weight range ; 30 Cal. in the 200 to 220 weight range. Show us the Muzzle velocity , the Velocity at the gelatin block 800 and 1000 yards away , the retrieved bullets , and the percentage of weight retained, and the amount of penetration!! I think that would a least be interesting, if not actually helpful. I would love to see some thing like this on the box, "Best Expansion above 1400 fps" just as an example!!

Since the concept of LONG RANGE Shooting and Hunting have gained such incredible popularity, I would love to see the bullet companies conduct a Long Range Test of their own products and publish the results. Example :270 Bullets in the 150 to 170 grn weight range ;7mm in the 175 to 190 weight range ; 30 Cal. in the 200 to 220 weight range. Show us the Muzzle velocity , the Velocity at the gelatin block 800 and 1000 yards away , the retrieved bullets , and the percentage of weight retained, and the amount of penetration!! I think that would a least be interesting, if not actually helpful. I would love to see some thing like this on the box, "Best Expansion above 1400 fps" just as an example!!
Bryan Litz "Applied Ballistic for Long Range Shooting".

Yes Sendero, I have read the book and watched the CD Videos. Truly Educational!!! My suggestion was merely that if the Bullet companies themselves did a standard test, the average shooter and hand loader looking to making a Long Range Game load might find it helpful to be able to go directly to the one or two bullets that ( Nosler makes or Hornady makes ) are designed to do what he needs done. We all enjoy these posts and we get great information from Long Range Hunters guys who have tried 8 different bullets and have settled on the 'Best One", For Elk, or Mule Deer , for their caliber , in their opinion " . I just thought that if the results of a test were stated, that could be helpful. Maybe not!! When Im sitting around trying to dream up a 1000 yard load, for my 300 Weatherby Mag, and its about 3 in the morning, Ill just call up Muddy Boots and ask him questions. and see if I can borrow his blue truck with the Dopler on it. He doesn't mind!!

Yes Sendero, I have read the book and watched the CD Videos. Truly Educational!!! My suggestion was merely that if the Bullet companies themselves did a standard test, the average shooter and hand loader looking to making a Long Range Game load might find it helpful to be able to go directly to the one or two bullets that ( Nosler makes or Hornady makes ) are designed to do what he needs done. We all enjoy these posts and we get great information from Long Range Hunters guys who have tried 8 different bullets and have settled on the 'Best One", For Elk, or Mule Deer , for their caliber , in their opinion " . I just thought that if the results of a test were stated, that could be helpful. Maybe not!! When Im sitting around trying to dream up a 1000 yard load, for my 300 Weatherby Mag, and its about 3 in the morning, Ill just call up Muddy Boots and ask him questions. and see if I can borrow his blue truck with the Dopler on it. He doesn't mind!!
That sounds great. Nothing like having a Doppler on your truck! That's impressive. Let us know how it goes. Thanks.

Lenny I'll mention this and I feel sure Jimmy. Sendero 72 will agree. You can get a lot to that end by reading Nathan Foster's work. The man is in a class by himself when it comes to terminal performance on game at close range and distance.

Nate shoots feral goats for practice and feeds them to his dogs. His longest shot is over 1400 yds which is a pretty good shot. He shoots the 7x300 win mag which is the reason I moved from the 7 mag to the 7x 300 win mag. It's an excellent long range round.

Nate shoots feral goats for practice and feeds them to his dogs. His longest shot is over 1400 yds which is a pretty good shot. He shoots the 7x300 win mag which is the reason I moved from the 7 mag to the 7x 300 win mag. It's an excellent long range round.
Like I said before. One day when I grow up I'm gonna get a big gun like you!
Even with a brake in 7 mag the recoil bothers my neck where I have the titanium plate, screws, and disc. Not to mention the concussion. If I built a 7 x 300 it would have to weigh about 20 pounds and have a barrel around 30 inches.