What’s the POWDER you love to hate?

Calvin45

@Thebobcat, your 💩 disturbing ways have been truly inspirational to us all.

@Gingerman (or should I say BFD!!!! 🥴) you're up there on the naughty list as well (and I want you to imagine Austin powers telling you to behave!) 🤣

Anyways, now that that godforsaken thread about hated cartridges (that I participated in way too much 😁 and gambled my thumbs over - @Muddyboots, better luck next time) has reached EIGHTY FREAKING PAGES ….

What's a powder or powders you HATE! You wouldn't touch them again , they freaked you out, yuu had a bad experience, they smell funky and bad 🤣, they're temp sensitive, they burn filthy, you just never could get them to do what you wanted, they caused male pattern baldness and bad breath leading to your wife leaving and taking your dog and truck with her like a country song, I DONT CARE!!!!

What's a powder you'd publicly condemn!!!! Do it! 🤣

I ain't saying anything more about 4955 than I did on a seperate thread that did more to expose my stupidity than any shortcomings in that powder (which I still have no use for now)

And I think we all know how @ButterBean feels about StaBall 6.5….

GO!!!!

Hate is a strong word but there have been some powders I've always wanted to work for me but they just didn't. Magpro being one of those. Bring the action.
Is mag pro a ball powder? Never worked with that one but I will say I've had mixed experiences with ball powders in general.

One that shot "just okay" and never could get decent es and sd numbers, just all over the place and erratic, was Winchester 760. Don't hate it but never could develop a truly good load with it

Reloader 26. Over rated, temp sensitive, can never find it. I will gladly take it off you hands, and will even pay Hazmad. Don't want to see anyone in anguish.
Okay for real I was relieved to see you call it
Overrated cuz I really wanna try some someday and this made me feel better…until I saw you were up to just the kind of thing I would be doing!!!

Actually tho is it temp sensitive in your experience?

Yes it is. I shoot it a lot. I know what to expect and plan accordingly. I do not shoot over 75 degrees with it. I work up loads in 35-50 degree so it stays ok until it starts to get warmer than 75. My temps are conservative but I feel good at these temps. When it starts to get 80+, gets a little wonky. Highly technical term.

Yes it is. I shoot it a lot. I know what to expect and plan accordingly. I do not shoot over 75 degrees with it. I work up loads in 35-50 degree so it stays ok until it starts to get warmer than 75. My temps are conservative but I feel good at these temps. When it starts to get 80+, gets a little wonky. Highly technical term.
good to know. Not that I foresee using it any decade soon 🤣

For my .300 win with heavy bullets, now that they went and discontinued 7977 and 8133 (and h1000 and retumbo command a premium I will not pay) I've rediscovered what a huge fan I am of IMR 7828 and Reloader 25. They're not so popular anymore. I'm okay with that 😁

Okay for real I was relieved to see you call it
Overrated cuz I really wanna try some someday and this made me feel better…until I saw you were up to just the kind of thing I would be doing!!!

Actually tho is it temp sensitive in your experience?
I have seen great results with it
•70.2 gr, 2990fps, 190gr Berger hybrid , 24.3" barrel 7mm rem mag
•56.2gr, 3175fps, 135gr Berger 27" barrel, 25-06
•91gr, 2950fps, 300gr SMK, 30" barrel, .338 Edge

I can't say anything about temp sensitive, I live in Phoenix, and really don't shoot in the cold. All of these loads were 15 es or so and under. The .338 Edge load was not mine, but a very reputable gunsmith.