Was told that NF is over price

Marble, my LR gun with scope and 9"-13" Harris Bipod, and loaded magazine tips the scales at 12.5#. But, a light gun is harder to shoot long distance. With the Eberlestock backpack, I really don't notice the weight. I'm 5'-7" and should weigh around 180#, but I'm carrying more around my middle than the gun weighs...... I think where the gun sits weight wise is a good trade-off between shootability and carrying weight. One of these days I should throw the stock on a scale to see what it weighs. I probably could shave some weight off of the rifle by going with a lighter stock, but I'm not 110% sure of that. It's got a Manners MCS-GAT stock with a Defensive Edge adjustable cheekpiece.

I shot a cow elk last year at slightly over 700 yds, and with the scope dialed back to (I think) around 16x, I saw the bullet impact the elk. I really like how well Kirby's painkiller muzzlebrake works. :D

12.5 lbs is too heavy for me. I'm 6-01, 195. I could probably carry it no problem, but a bipod is not in my future. I do not like the bulk, nor will it fit in the scabbard on my horse.

The STW is second hand to me. I plan on getting the best scope I can afford, spending $20 on the stock by bedding it, I'm really thinking about an aftermarket barrel and have the action trued at the same time. If it doesn't shoot as well as I need it to, I will get a custom stock.

I have thought about getting a bipod I can switch from rifle to rifle. My wife and son would be able to use it. They lack the strength and experience in setting up a good shooting platform. Last year I laid in this position for an hour. The bull finally stepped out and I shot him at 400 yards. The bullet went in the left side, went through both lungs, hit a rib on right side, made a 90 degree turn, went through 4 ribs, hit the liver and knicked the stomach, then went between two ribs and streaked another 6 inches between the hide and the ribs, finally coming to a rest. It was the magic bullet.

ResizedImage951395179651137_zpsuwinxrqq.jpg

If you have a swivel stud in the forend of your rifle stock, the Harris Bipods attach to that relatively quickly. If it is a long shot, you might have time to attach one for them. Just make sure that they practice with it, as the gun may or may not hit a different POI with it on or off. You'll have to shoot both ways to verify if it does or doesn't. Congrats on the elk!! What does your STW weigh now with the full magazine and the scope that is on it?
Here's what the rifle looks like:
7mmAM.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.