Was told that NF is over price

Greg Duerr

Was told that NF is over priced and your paying for the Name and that if you want a better scope go Vortex??

Apples to Apples Vortex is better.

That's what I was told......................

Don't have either one so have no idea if that is true or not..................

my other post was by the same guy.

well if you already posted about it why do it again? Let your idiot friend buy a vortex HS LR if he thinks they are the best. I hear the same thing about Swarovski optics "your only paying for the name" I couldnt disagree more. When it comes to optics you get what you pay for. The better the glass gets the more expensive it gets, but price and quality of glass dont follow the same line on the chart. To go from a D rating scope (Tasco) to an D+ (Millet or something in say the 300 dollar range) rating scope might only cost a few hundred dollars but to go from an A rating scope (razor HD, Nightforce) to say an A+ rating scope (S&B, Premier, March) is going to run near a $1000 difference. And just to make sure no one gets confused I am by no mean rating scopes here just simply stating names as examples.

I have friends that shoot 1000 bench, Penn rules here in MT. If you look down firing line the vast majority 90+% are NF. Now this is a bit different because they shoot high mag, but thats whats used. They run lower mag NF on there hunting rigs

I have friends that shoot 1000 bench, Penn rules here in MT. If you look down firing line the vast majority 90+% are NF. Now this is a bit different because they shoot high mag, but thats whats used. They run lower mag NF on there hunting rigs

More like 100%:D Vortex makes nice stuff but NF is the standard by which all others are judged. The clearest scope money can buy is the new NF 15-55x. You can seen your bullet holes at 1000 yards when the conditions are clear...............

Was told that NF is over priced and your paying for the Name and that if you want a better scope go Vortex??

Apples to Apples Vortex is better.

That's what I was told......................

Don't have either one so have no idea if that is true or not..................

my other post was by the same guy.

I heard my wife's shoes are overpriced and Payless brand shoes are the better option. Any guess who would say different?

Ask him how the return for repair or replacement rates compare!! Hint, they are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum!!!

well if you already posted about it why do it again? Let your idiot friend buy a vortex HS LR if he thinks they are the best. I hear the same thing about Swarovski optics "your only paying for the name" I couldnt disagree more. When it comes to optics you get what you pay for. The better the glass gets the more expensive it gets, but price and quality of glass dont follow the same line on the chart. To go from a D rating scope (Tasco) to an D+ (Millet or something in say the 300 dollar range) rating scope might only cost a few hundred dollars but to go from an A rating scope (razor HD, Nightforce) to say an A+ rating scope (S&B, Premier, March) is going to run near a $1000 difference. And just to make sure no one gets confused I am by no mean rating scopes here just simply stating names as examples.

Thanks for the laugh, now excuse while I clean the coffee off my monitor. :D

Not sure what Vortex he had but he payed $600 for 4x-16x Then when he purchased his Cooper, he felt he needed better glass so he got the Vortex Razor HD 5-20 .................I told him that his other vortex was all he needed. He's a Vortex guy and will not buy anything else.............

I have a Leica RF and he cant understand why I did not buy the Vortex..................

I just told him that I really like my Leica and I have a Leupold Var lll 4.5-14 For him Vortex is #1 NF is Ok but over priced and cant compete with Vortex apple for apples and Leupold is just a waste of $$$

and shooting 2.5" groups at 100yds is more than enough for Hunting..........

We do have different views and have learned not to argue about the little stuff...................

what make something over priced? when comparing apples to apples the NF will win does it cost more yes it does. what you must keep in mind is that it has a level of diminishing returns:
-I buy a $250 scope and for $400 I can get a scope that is way better!
-I buy a $600 scope and for $1000 I can get a scope that is better but not buy as much as the first example (spent more in difference but don't get as much in return)
-I buy a scope that is $1200 and for $2400 I get a scope that is a little better (I got the worst return of value at this level, but that doesn't make it overprice or not worth it.

It's like anyone who knows cars: It takes about $2000-3000 to take a good car from 14 seconds too 11 seconds in the quarter mile. Then it will take you 10,000 to get that 11 second car down too a 10 second one.

I can understand saying in your opinion one scope is better if you own both ..........but making that statement just by camparing them in a Catalog Description without ever seeing one, Is just crazy.

So what he says I kind of take with a grain of salt..................

Its like a salesman told me once..................a 25-06 SHOOTING a 120gr bullet is a great Elk Set up but a .243 shooting a 105gr bullet should not even be considered for Antelope....................

Its statements like that that just make life more amusing.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.