vanguard rifles

ann brezinski

looking at a 300 weatherby vanguare rifle.its new.i understand its a 26 inch barrel .is it still made by Howa and does weatherby check them out before shipping them to thier dealers.

Yes they are Howa, don't know if Weatherby checks them or not, but Howas are known to be very good rifles. I've had a couple, have one now in .308 HB. Family and friends have them now as well. All theirs are 300s and all well below MOA shooters. Mine was just over a .5moa shooter, my uncle's is about the same, my cousin has one that is .25 moa (and less) and an ex girlfriend had one that was a sub .5 moa and would shoot 3 shot .5moa 200yd groups and would do that with 165 and 180 factory Wby pills at the same time. Good luck Ann. Enjoy and if it doesn't have a break, get one.

I owned one of their sub-MOA models (300wsm). Unfortunately, it did not shoot lights out but it shot pretty well ... most ammo that I tried was 1-1.25 MOA at 100 yds, a few options could do 0.75 and others 1.5.

I am not sensitive to recoil but that rifle - specifically the classic weatherby monte carlo stock - beat me up enough that I did not enjoy spending a day at the range rotating it through the lineup. Hence, I never invested in reloading for it.

I would definitely consider a 300wby Vanguard, but only with a straight stock.

Haven't owned or shot a long action Howa, but I've owned two mini actions. Both were scary accurate. Didn't like the stock, but that is easily fixed. But I sold both when I acquired a CZ527. Howa's are nice, but the mini actions weren't in the same league as CZ's.

the only vanguard I've owned was a nice rifle that shot well and the action was decently nice, fed, ejected, functioned well. Not as bind resistant as a tikka but not bad either.

Good rifles, hate the weatherby stock shape

I've got one in .300 Win Mag that shoot factory ammo under 1 MOA. Haven't felt the need to start loading for it because it's so dang consistent.

Recent Posts