7-300 Norma Mag Improved

Im glad somebody is doing it, I have been thinking about this wildcat for a while. Perfect for seating out really far with lapua AICS mags.
Here's some COAL measurements touching the lands with my reamer. It could maybe go .040 longer freebore for the 195 Berger. But it still shot great out of this reamer where it sits in the case neck.

IMG_3593.jpeg

Even with the eol the bullet is still only approximately .600 thousands in the case. Thats still good for such a long bullet. I am gathering the parts for a 7 wssm now. I will have the 195 eol seated with about .125 of bearing surface in the case.

Put my forming barrel on, then sat down and formed 200 straight rounds of 7-300 NMI brass. 100 pieces for myself, and 100 pieces for a good buddy that's going to have @Barehandlineman11 build him one as well, with two barrels chambered for it right off the bat haha.

Took about 2 hours. Taking little breaks every 50 rounds. I'm committed to this cartridge for the foreseeable future haha.
IMG_3606.jpeg

This brux barrel is torched, after several 50 straight round shot strings down it. Fire cracking as far as the borescope can see hahaha. And these were the first three shots out the barrel still….
IMG_3610.jpeg

Have you ever tried "smoothing the gator scales " with any kind of compounds or lapping paste or Tubb bullets?
Wondering how well it works, and since you definitely have the test subjects hahaha…

This brux barrel is torched, after several 50 straight round shot strings down it. Fire cracking as far as the borescope can see hahaha. And these were the first three shots out the barrel still….
Alex Wheeler posted pix of a barrel like you describe and let people comment for 2 days then told them that barrel just set a new record, so looks are deceiving. Let the target tell you when it's torched.

Going to miss you on the 300nmi side 🥲

I'm at 500rds on my current barrel and it's totally getting turned into a fireforming barrel when I retire it thanks to you, it's a good idea!

Have you ever tried "smoothing the gator scales " with any kind of compounds or lapping paste or Tubb bullets?
Wondering how well it works, and since you definitely have the test subjects hahaha…
I actually have lapping compound, but I've never use it to intentionally smooth the cracking honestly. Would be a very good test indeed!

Alex Wheeler posted pix of a barrel like you describe and let people comment for 2 days then told them that barrel just set a new record, so looks are deceiving. Let the target tell you when it's torched.
Wow, that's pretty cool. Looking at this barrel, you would be surprised if bullets even came out the barrel in one piece lol.

Going to miss you on the 300nmi side 🥲

I'm at 500rds on my current barrel and it's totally getting turned into a fireforming barrel when I retire it thanks to you, it's a good idea!
300 NMI is freaking awesome dude. But legitimately crunching the numbers, the 180 ELDM or 190 A-tip shot at top speeds are ballistically better than anything in the 300 NMI out beyond hunting distances and 20% less recoil. So I'm running it. And they seem to be really good killers.

300 NMI with big 30 cal bullets could have an argument for elk at long distances and weird angles. But broadside with a good shot it'll die with either cartridge/bullet I'm sure.

Went and shot more McGuire 160 Copper Rose.

Just loaded up the same combo that I tested in my old barrel.

90gr. N570 with a COAL of 3.609".

This was only over 6 shots when I took the picture. But looking good.
IMG_3627.jpeg

I shot 2 foulers (clean barrel) out of the group. Then a 5 shot zero.
IMG_3621.jpeg

Then went to 520 yards. The mirage was horrible so I didn't want to shoot any further. Was still chasing a dancing bullseye. But 3 quick shots at 520 yards verified a close BC estimate of about .32 G7. And that's out of a 1-9 twist, which is a hinderance of the BC.
IMG_3632.jpeg

Lot of smackem' at a brisk pace.
I tried some lighter monos today at 500 also, was very pleased.
7PRC/147 apex afterburner

I wonder how the Monos will perform at distance on game, I know they are supposed to be good but makes me so nervous thinking they won't open as they should. I've had good luck with Hammers sub 400 yards, besides Barnes bullets, which I hate, no other experience with the other brands.

I wonder how the Monos will perform at distance on game, I know they are supposed to be good but makes me so nervous thinking they won't open as they should. I've had good luck with Hammers sub 400 yards, besides Barnes bullets, which I hate, no other experience with the other brands.
I think that is always in the back of my mind as well. But I do trust a lot of the info I've seen from them with people using them in the field. I don't think I'd hesitate to shoot a buck, keeping it above 2400fps impact just in case. Which in this instance would be 1000 yards at hunting elevations.

Seems like several types have a fairly soft front section, like the Berger and Eld's.
But the back section keeps on keeping on.
Interesting in theory. Now I need about 10 pigs and 10 doe to stand still, between now and December.