Upgrading in quality vs. number of firearms

Like you, I am a retired USAF and am working on my second retirement from the civil service. My firearms inventory has a pretty good mix of full-custom, semi-custom, and quality factory rifles, shotguns, and handguns. Some of the older/cheaper rifles have been repurposed as DIY projects. So, I guess I have not slowed down, maybe a bit.

It's a personal choice; you do not need anyone's approval on whichever route you take. Good luck and have fun with it.
Thank you for your service and appreciate the thoughts. Not looking for approval, just what folks have done that are similar.

I have several heirloom type rifles that will never leave.

I have some nice custom rifles, two are very close in usage/ so I may re-barrel one to reduce that overlap. Then I have a bunch of less expensive rifles but all of which are very accurate. So hard to get rid of those. Lately I have been loading some light for caliber bullets and having lots of fun making new rifles out of older ones.

Someone mentioned a 10 year old silver Honda Civic rifle. I have a couple of those that are dedicated range/practice rifles. They shoot really well and are easy/cheaper to load for with very long barrel life.

I have two or three that I intend to sell as they just never get shot. Not "bad" or super cheap but just not often shot.
That's one of my hang ups right there. All of them are accurate for hunting.

I've been in the upgrade mode line of thinking for the past several years. At one time I prescribed to the "more is better" in my firearms. Now I have no problem letting things go. When I started reloading not too long ago, I found myself adding components of different types like a mad man. Always wanting to try something different. Just like rifles and handguns, it really did not make much sense to keep chasing my tail.
This!

A good friend of mine's father passed away recently. He left behind over 100 guns of various types. My friend, who isn't a hunter or shooter, gave me and another buddy first look before he put them up for auction. I picked up a Savage Model 12 in 204 ruger and a Ruger 22 mag (forget the model as I write this, but nice rifle). Didn't need either of them, but they were in great condition and came with enough ammo for the lifetime of the rifle. There were not any larger bore rifles of interest.

I recently shot the 204 Ruger, and I am confident it was the first rounds through the gun. I know he had guns he shot, but he also had an awful lot that were used little or never.

I have a few that fit this description, but don't have interest in adding to them. The benefit of buying better guns is they are more likely to become the go-to's, and if/ when you shoot them enough to burn out the barrel, you can simply get a new barrel, update the cerakote, and still have a great "new" gun.

Have seen this more than once at local shop, where an old timer brings in a stack of cordwood rigs to trade-up for a brand new rifle. Then the shop owner calls up guys he knows have been looking for just such a cartridge lever gun and all the trade-ins are sold off, everyone's happy. We used to take along few cordwood rigs, that never get used, on hunting trips. Stop in at the Scheels or Cabela and do a bit of horse tradeN, always try to leave on the upNup!

I have had a problem for a while with always buying inexpensive bargains. It is something that 20 years as an enlisted Airman that has been hard to shake. By the time I get all my stuff and upgrade, I could have bought a nice mid-tier rifle. Then, when I find a deal, I buy another one or two budget firearms in the same caliber. So, besides a very few custom rifles and pistols, I have a butt load of $500 and less bolt guns and handguns. Plus, I reload and it is almost hard to keep up with working loads out for all of them. I do fairly well now, and I feel like I want to cull the stable for a few nicer firearms.

Anyone else who wants to or has done the same? Please share your thoughts.
Yep. Started off with budget rifles for the long range game. Everyone had a different opinion and I am a show me kind of a guy. I can process anecdotal information just fine but finding value in a higher end rifle is something I needed to experience. Part of this process is the fact I needed to understand what a custom or higher tier rifle provides, besides a hit to the bank account. I have seen very little difference in performance on paper from some budget to higher end rifles, so in the end, what is the point?

Today I would rather have a few rifles that I shoot then a pile of rifles I do not shoot. That was a combo of eliminating chambering's, stock designs, quality scopes, and fewer reloading components. In the end, I wound up being a little less widely verse in cartridge capabilities, but I am more confident in the ones I chose. I have no regrets in this. I feel like I am more dialed in and truly enjoy the rifles I have. I know what it is like to have a cheap rifle and an expensive one. I also know to keep my mouth shut about the abilities of the rag tag shooter and rifle that show up. You never know......

My dad died and left behind a sizeable collection of good deal quality firearms. I let my brother-in-law and sister keep them. I've avoided being in a similar situation by committing myself to the one safe rule. (Quick access personal defense safes from Vaultek don't count against the rule for me)
This constraint has helped me to ensure that the long guns in my safe are quality items. The downside is that there is nobody in my family that reloads or is enough of a firearm enthusiast to appreciate what is in the safe. I've bought my son and grandson rifles that they can and do use but neither would appreciate a GAP rifle with a NF Beast that only like reloads. I'm not into selling my firearms so my version of freeing up space or passing on an item I don't use is giving it to a younger friend who has the wherewithal to utilize it correctly.

I have had a problem for a while with always buying inexpensive bargains. It is something that 20 years as an enlisted Airman that has been hard to shake. By the time I get all my stuff and upgrade, I could have bought a nice mid-tier rifle. Then, when I find a deal, I buy another one or two budget firearms in the same caliber. So, besides a very few custom rifles and pistols, I have a butt load of $500 and less bolt guns and handguns. Plus, I reload and it is almost hard to keep up with working loads out for all of them. I do fairly well now, and I feel like I want to cull the stable for a few nicer firearms.

Former USAF Security Police dog handler here. I did the same thing. Wound up with a bunch of things I didn't really want or need. For the last 15 years or so I've been doing gun shows here in Kentucky. Gives me something to do and the chance to upgrade my collection. I only trade for things now that appeal to me. Bring them home and try them out. If I like them, they go in one safe. If not they go back to another gun show. Sometimes I shoot one and really like it. Then a year or two down the road I change my mind. The shows give me a chance to try out all kinds of guns. And I will put more than one cheaper gun into a trade if necessary.

I thought it was ironic that last night something was bugging the animals so of course I had to go check what was happening. I didn't grab a fancy custom. I grabbed the ruger American that hangs out for exactly that use. Not at all downplaying more expensive rifles but i definitely believe there is a place for functional rifles from a lower class

Recent Posts