Number of Rifle grooves? 4 vs 5 vs 6

My opinions vary depending on bore size and manufacturer as well as intended use. Best to ask you gunsmith if he has a preference with the manufacturer you want to use.
What would you recommend for Br.
308-win shooting 185 Juggernaut

30/7PRC shooting 185 Juggernaut
And twist rate. Thanks
Brux. Or. Kreiger

Last edited:
My opinions vary depending on bore size and manufacturer as well as intended use. Best to ask you gunsmith if he has a preference with the manufacturer you want to use.
What would you recommend for a .20 cal. Most likely my next is. going to be a. 20 GT or 20 CM again

I have a 5 Benchmark carbon barrel 300 Ultra Mag 24" 9 twist hand load 215 Berger
Here's a picture from a week ago 93 degrees 1448 elevation
3043 fps. 200 yards
IMG_2085.jpeg

Odd numbers not 2 across from each other!
This is NOT always the best choice. 3 groove Ballard type rifling in .224" cal rips target jackets apart…
Aske me how I know.

The rifling type also needs to be to be taken into account. Equidistant rifling, also known as Ballard rifling, has grooves and lands the same width. Non-equidistant rifling has thin lands and wide grooves, this makes a difference to forces on bullet jackets.

Cheers.

Edited:
From my experience and knowledge gleaned from those more experienced and knowleable than I, this is the best answer. Just make sure your smith has the experience and knowledge to give a qualified answer.

Last edited: