Upgrading in quality vs. number of firearms

My dad said you go thur different stages of gun collecting You start collecting because you like them all then you figure out what you really like in the caliber you want then sell some of the factory guns to find the customs in the caliber you want to spend the time on load development. 5 or 6 full customs. Why less cleaning and maintenance

I've had the same thought and have a change of heart. Originally planned on upgraded rifles, but decided to go on hunts and trips instead. My guns shoot very good and can kill probably anything on the planet. The money is now for making memories, not upgrading.

I'm with you there - while I'm sure I'll pick up a rifle or two along the way, putting money towards hunts is a direction I'm pursuing.

I recently booked a Dall sheep hunt in the NWT for 2026 and can't wait.

I have had a problem for a while with always buying inexpensive bargains. It is something that 20 years as an enlisted Airman that has been hard to shake. By the time I get all my stuff and upgrade, I could have bought a nice mid-tier rifle. Then, when I find a deal, I buy another one or two budget firearms in the same caliber. So, besides a very few custom rifles and pistols, I have a butt load of $500 and less bolt guns and handguns. Plus, I reload and it is almost hard to keep up with working loads out for all of them. I do fairly well now, and I feel like I want to cull the stable for a few nicer firearms.

Anyone else who wants to or has done the same? Please share your thoughts.
Well, I agree have only purchased a few what I thought were inexpensive Rifles. RUGER American camo and several used guns. I now have a custom gun and a CA mesa that now has an MPR stock and several builds now all are much more expensive than my old Savage 110 that has been heavily customized. I learned over time if I buy a gun such as the Ruger American, I always buy a new trigger, now my investment is higher, will purchase firelapping bullets, cheek riser. I wasn't going to do this anymore but my wife told me why don't you get a new toy, for my birthday last year. So I went to my local Sheels for the gun on sale in 7mm PRC, do I regret the purchase, a little bit. As I have always wanted a Weatherby 7mm magnum. This was my first 7mm. If I can get the Ruger to shoot per my expectations I will probably keep it. But higher quality out of the box is always a big plus. Another out of the box rifle that shot well out of the box is my Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor. I also believe that upgraded optics are probably more important than the gun. But have been unloading some guns when buying new. But enjoy taking visitors shooting if they are interested, and it is nice when the guns are all dialed in and how happy they are with the range experience.

The older I get, the less I am interested in having a bunch of money tied up in guns that I literally never shoot; heirloom or otherwise sentimental items excluded.

I can better use that money for other stuff either in accessories or items for the house, hunting trips, etc.

Since I've fallen into the trap of specialized cartridges on many of my builds, and my son has expressed zero interest in reloading, I see myself using those for their intended purposes and selling to go back to more traditional time tested cartridges.

Well, mind change again. I am going to upgrade. Not just to get a new rifle or to spend more, but I wrote down all the things I wanted in a deer rifle. I sold several firearms yesterday. Luckily, I got just about what I guessed I should.

My primary deer cartridge is 6.5 Creedmoor. I want an adjustable LOP (I am only 5'6", so 13.5 is about as long as I can go, with 13.25 being the sweet spot), more vertical grip, threaded, heavier fluted contour barrel, 7lbs or under, 20" barrel (I hunt mostly ground blinds). I looked around and was having trouble getting a check on it all. I was about to post a thread, but found it. I am going to upgrade to a Bergara B-14 Squared Crest. If this turns out to be accurate, I will sell my CVA.

I spent some time putting rifles up to my shoulder for stability and fit. I kept going back to my 7MM-08 with the KRG Bravo stock. It just feels like an extension of my body. So, I will be upgrading the few calibers I shoot to similar rifles.

Well, mind change again. I am going to upgrade. Not just to get a new rifle or to spend more, but I wrote down all the things I wanted in a deer rifle. I sold several firearms yesterday. Luckily, I got just about what I guessed I should.

My primary deer cartridge is 6.5 Creedmoor. I want an adjustable LOP (I am only 5'6", so 13.5 is about as long as I can go, with 13.25 being the sweet spot), more vertical grip, threaded, heavier fluted contour barrel, 7lbs or under, 20" barrel (I hunt mostly ground blinds). I looked around and was having trouble getting a check on it all. I was about to post a thread, but found it. I am going to upgrade to a Bergara B-14 Squared Crest. If this turns out to be accurate, I will sell my CVA.

I spent some time putting rifles up to my shoulder for stability and fit. I kept going back to my 7MM-08 with the KRG Bravo stock. It just feels like an extension of my body. So, I will be upgrading the few calibers I shoot to similar rifles.
The good news is this is all about getting what you want. If you change your mind later, there is nothing really standing in your way. Give us a report after you put some rounds down range.

I sold all my factory guns except one to build customs and would do it all over again. I haven't figured out how to shoot more than one at a time nor add more hours to the day to shoot more.

Fair point, but a router.

Shot starlings in soy for a few days visiting the grand parents. Week later I'm literally at the opposite end of America trying to save pelts on remote alaska fox's. Two weeks later up near artic whacking Ptarmigan. Spring time squirrels in Oregon and Idaho the next month, with a few windy sage coyotes the same trip. Never mind my daily carry in bear country or the litany of game from sitka black tail clear up to interior moose...

Could even break down the squirrels to farms of different sizes and locations. Depending on farmhouse locations everything from rimfire to the hot 6mms could be appropriate. In some smaller locals the 17 wsm is as hot as is practical with houses around. Others it's 223 and 22500 country with wind and no people.

Admittedly I've shot everything from sage rats to Moose with my 300 wsm, but it's a bit hard on pelts and kinda spendy on starlings....

Have a decent mix that ebbs and flows.

On the side subject of elk not knowing what hit them a 300 or 5000$ rifle. That's very true, but the trigger pulling is a small part of the experience. The extra cost goes into user experience. It's true of trucks, couches, rifles, everything really.

Years ago I slept on the floor, had camp cots and mill crates for furniture. Shot a budget rifle with a blister pack scope while wearing a cotton hoody and bulk pack socks.... plent of animals died and were eaten to that combo.

But I worked hard and made sacrifices young. Headed to 40 here shortly, elk don't know my feet are warmer, my rain gear is awesome, my optics are premium or my gun is more than my first three cars.... but my aging body does.

Fair point, but a router.

Shot starlings in soy for a few days visiting the grand parents. Week later I'm literally at the opposite end of America trying to save pelts on remote alaska fox's. Two weeks later up near artic whacking Ptarmigan. Spring time squirrels in Oregon and Idaho the next month, with a few windy sage coyotes the same trip. Never mind my daily carry in bear country or the litany of game from sitka black tail clear up to interior moose...

Could even break down the squirrels to farms of different sizes and locations. Depending on farmhouse locations everything from rimfire to the hot 6mms could be appropriate. In some smaller locals the 17 wsm is as hot as is practical with houses around. Others it's 223 and 22500 country with wind and no people.

Admittedly I've shot everything from sage rats to Moose with my 300 wsm, but it's a bit hard on pelts and kinda spendy on starlings....

Have a decent mix that ebbs and flows.

On the side subject of elk not knowing what hit them a 300 or 5000$ rifle. That's very true, but the trigger pulling is a small part of the experience. The extra cost goes into user experience. It's true of trucks, couches, rifles, everything really.

Years ago I slept on the floor, had camp cots and mill crates for furniture. Shot a budget rifle with a blister pack scope while wearing a cotton hoody and bulk pack socks.... plent of animals died and were eaten to that combo.

But I worked hard and made sacrifices young. Headed to 40 here shortly, elk don't know my feet are warmer, my rain gear is awesome, my optics are premium or my gun is more than my first three cars.... but my aging body does.
"But I worked hard and made sacrifices young. Headed to 40 here shortly, elk don't know my feet are warmer, my rain gear is awesome, my optics are premium or my gun is more than my first three cars.... but my aging body does."

I am on the other side of 50 and I can say, it does not get any better.

This thread did exactly what I wanted. Made me think of what I have, why I have it and what I really want. And it isn't about the money, but the features I like do come with more money. I am sure that without this great conversation, I very well would have walked into another mistake. Had a rifle or two sitting in the checkout that I did not push the button on until my light bulb came on this morning.

I'm with you there - while I'm sure I'll pick up a rifle or two along the way, putting money towards hunts is a direction I'm pursuing.

I recently booked a Dall sheep hunt in the NWT for 2026 and can't wait.
Boy, that's a long wait. But gives you time to prepare. Took me 2 trips to Alaska and 22 days of hard hunting. In the end well worth all the preparation and all the dinero.
Good Luck!

Boy, that's a long wait. But gives you time to prepare. Took me 2 trips to Alaska and 22 days of hard hunting. In the end well worth all the preparation and all the dinero.
Good Luck!
Forgot to attach pic.
(made Boone & Crockett)

Attachments

• IMG_3281.JPG
    IMG_3281.JPG
    613.4 KB · Views: 40
Now got me thinking about my little HOWA 308. I think when I sell a few more, I am going to upgrade to a 20" Criterion fluted barrel and a carbon fiber stock from Stocky's.

Recent Posts