Typical Range day setup. Pictures please!

Typical setup for me from the bench for load development. Range bag not pictured.

Will get off the bench on the tripod or bipod for steel work at 300-600.

1000005107.jpg
1000004022.jpg
1000005657.jpg

My typical range day set-up will generally mirror the same equipment and shooting positions I expect to use while hunting (or in competition). For load development work I will generally use a bench for convenience/comfort, but the results compared to prone on paper are comparable.
IMG_2099.jpeg
IMG_2268.jpeg
IMG_4652.jpeg

Caldwell makes a decent front rest. Atlas makes a very nice front Bi Pod, while Harris seems to turn my rifle into a po go stick in how it bounces the rifle around, ok for field work, but not for tiny group shooting.

Rear bag, fill with HEAVY sand, you will NEVER regret the choice.

Last edited:
I either use an atlas bipod or Caldwell bag (remember to remove your front sling stud) and lately I've been using a Triad tactical rear bag. I've probably tried a dozen different rear bags and this one has been used the most.

I don't have any pictures and not sure why haha.

My set up for sporters is pretty well identical to this, my front rest is an older version of the "Rock". For the rifles with flat bottom forends I use an SEB Mini-X front rest. I use Protector sandbags, front and rear and I order them prefilled with heavy sand. I want a Garmin!
It's unbelievable how "attached" you get to the Garmin. I would never even consider leaving it or if I did by accident I would turn around and go home. Just as important as having the ammo with you, lol.

I would invest in higher quality rests if I had easy access to a range. I typically just use a decent bipod (Atlas or Harris) and cheaper rear bags when doing load development. I realize that chasing tiny groups could be improved, if I paid more attention to my setup. However, I already need to figure out a better way to transport all my stuff to a range day. Multiple trips to the truck carrying heavy gear takes some of the joy out of a day at the range for me.
I bought a collapsable wagon cart for under $100 that works great. Fits behind my seat on the floor. Now it takes me one trip.

Attachments

• IMG_6632.jpeg
    IMG_6632.jpeg
    329.2 KB · Views: 0