Trying to Find/Choose the Right Caliber for Me

...neither ! Why drive yourself nuts worrying about ammo, casings and cartridge longevity for any cartridge for such a minimal gain ? A plain Jane ho-hum 7mm rem mag has and will stand the test of time and I guarantee will do anything either of those two can do with very little worry...life's too short for 100 fps.

I used the .270 Wby once and found it very impressive. Because .270 bullets (cup and core) are designed for the lighter .270 Winchester, they worked tremendously well on deer sized game. Lots of DRT's.
For heavier game, the Nosler 150 abd 160 grain Partitions are perfect. In todays market you can add the Barnes TTSX and LRX bullets.
I would urge learning how to handload. You will never be without ammo again. Cheap cases can be made from necking down and forming 7mm Remington cases. Buy, resize, load. Its that easy.
Handloaders have been using 7mm Rem brass necked down to form .257 Wby brass for decades. I first tried it back in the '70's.

For me, if I spring for a Mark V it's going to be in a Weatherby caliber so in your case I would take the .270 Weatherby. I have been looking hard at a Mark V for chasing pronghorns and it will be chambered in .257 Weatherby. I'm a handloader so ammo cost or availability is not an issue. Since you are a hunter and not shooting large amounts of ammo, don't worry about barrel life, just keep the barrel cool and it will last a long time.

Personally, I'd choose the 270 WBY Mag.

I went from not owning a Weatherby to owning 3 within a year.
One was purchased to be a safe queen.

I would advise learning how to reload. Makes ammo much more affordable (we are talking about Weatherby cartridges here) and accessable.
Starting out you are best advised NOT to be forming cases.
Hang in there and Weatherby cases will be available if they aren't right now.

Another thought....
I was a mechanic when I bought my reloading bench and press. They are tools to me. So I deducted them on my taxes.
Wish I could deduct components and firearms.

I'll be the oddball here. I would pick the 7 prc. Either will absolutely do anything you need them to do. Ammo availability and choices will be much greater. Ammo cost will be much less. If you're willing. We can do a custom batch of ammo for the 270, it will simply cost more and take more time.
If you do go with the 270, and it likes a particular factory load, I would buy a case or two of it and then not worry about it.
For bullet selection, 7mm will be vastly superior. As a loader, I much prefer the case design of the prc.

Good Morning!
I will try and make this short, as I know that their are a lot of threads regarding this and probably some pretty good answers to those questions. But anyway, I shoot left handed so my options are more limited & I am looking at getting a Weatherby Mark V as my kind of "do it all" rifle for out west hunting. I am a huge 7mm Rem Mag guy, so based off of that and that Weatherby does not have any rifles in 7mm Rem Mag in left hand. And after some research, I have narrowed my two choices to 7mm PRC or .270 Weatherby Mag. I haven't ever shot either caliber before. I have a family member who has shot and hunted with a .270 wby mag for years & years and just loves the caliber. I have shot a .300 PRC and 6.5 PRC, so I am somewhat familiar with PRCs. I would prefer to go with the .270 wby mag to be honest, but the only thing holding me back is that how expensive and hard to find the ammo is for that caliber and I don't reload. 7mm prc is less expensive and easier to find. Also, I was somewhat concerned about "barrel life" and how much difference in that is there between the .270 wby mag and 7mm prc. I am probably over thinking it by this point, but I have a hunt in October, and need to make a decision soon and I just want to make the correct one since this is the rifle I will probably be sticking with for years and hunts to come.

All info and wisdom is greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much!!
If you like the 7mm Rem Mag they why don't you just buy a Tikka T3x Superlite (Model TF1T27RL103MT) in 7MM Rem Mag? They are readily available, relatively inexpensive, great triggers, synthetic stock stainless 22 in fluted barrel and supremely accurate.

If you like the 7mm Rem Mag they why don't you just buy a Tikka T3x Superlite (Model TF1T27RL103MT) in 7MM Rem Mag? They are readily available, relatively inexpensive, great triggers, synthetic stock stainless 22 in fluted barrel and supremely accurate.
Very good point! I have always been more of a Mark V guy, myself. But the T3X are great rifles! Thank you for your reply!

Good Morning!
I will try and make this short, as I know that their are a lot of threads regarding this and probably some pretty good answers to those questions. But anyway, I shoot left handed so my options are more limited & I am looking at getting a Weatherby Mark V as my kind of "do it all" rifle for out west hunting. I am a huge 7mm Rem Mag guy, so based off of that and that Weatherby does not have any rifles in 7mm Rem Mag in left hand. And after some research, I have narrowed my two choices to 7mm PRC or .270 Weatherby Mag. I haven't ever shot either caliber before. I have a family member who has shot and hunted with a .270 wby mag for years & years and just loves the caliber. I have shot a .300 PRC and 6.5 PRC, so I am somewhat familiar with PRCs. I would prefer to go with the .270 wby mag to be honest, but the only thing holding me back is that how expensive and hard to find the ammo is for that caliber and I don't reload. 7mm prc is less expensive and easier to find. Also, I was somewhat concerned about "barrel life" and how much difference in that is there between the .270 wby mag and 7mm prc. I am probably over thinking it by this point, but I have a hunt in October, and need to make a decision soon and I just want to make the correct one since this is the rifle I will probably be sticking with for years and hunts to come.

All info and wisdom is greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much!!
7mm WSM