Twist for 270 Weatherby?

I shot the 175TGK out of 700LA .270 Win 27", 1:8, 5R, 0.290 freebore at 2925 with RL26. Shot well but decided just not what I wanted to do. I also spoke to Sierra and they really didn't expect anybody to use it in the .270 Win.

My experience with .277 caliber is I would opt for 1:7 now to handle the longer heavier monos along with 165ABLR, 150ABLR etc. I now lean towards higher SG for monos than normal for cup and core. Since I have zero plans for lighter bullets in this rifle, I like the higher SG for the mono heavies. JMO.

I shot the 175TGK out of 700LA .270 Win 27", 1:8, 5R, 0.290 freebore at 2925 with RL26. Shot well but decided just not what I wanted to do. I also spoke to Sierra and they really didn't expect anybody to use it in the .270 Win.

My experience with .277 caliber is I would opt for 1:7 now to handle the longer heavier monos along with 165ABLR, 150ABLR etc. I now lean towards higher SG for monos than normal for cup and core. Since I have zero plans for lighter bullets in this rifle, I like the higher SG for the mono heavies. JMO.
yes THIS. this is exactly what i did. i wont shoot less that 150 more than likely. 140 has a lot of jump and stupid low pressures.

I’m going 1:8” twist specifically for the 165g ABLR, it’s the optimum weight for the 270Bee. Will be using the 150g ABLR as well, so the extra twist may help with terminal performance. I won’t be hunting, just my Dad for his 80th, my health is ruined from my saddle pulmonary embolism.
My Dad is telling me he wants a Tahr as well now, there is no way I could accompany him up any mountains!

Cheers.
P.S. Thanks to everyone that replied.

I find it short sighted of Sierra to not think about some taking a 175 TGK and shooting it out of a fast twist 270. I also go at least .5 past the recommended twist due to my low elevation, 7.5 twist in a 6.8W. In the end I preffered the 165 ABLR in the 6.8W. And the 160 partition. The 160 shot really well. It also shot 130gr bullets just fine too.

I'm going 1:8" twist specifically for the 165g ABLR, it's the optimum weight for the 270Bee. Will be using the 150g ABLR as well, so the extra twist may help with terminal performance. I won't be hunting, just my Dad for his 80th, my health is ruined from my saddle pulmonary embolism.
My Dad is telling me he wants a Tahr as well now, there is no way I could accompany him up any mountains!

Cheers.
P.S. Thanks to everyone that replied.
Excellent choice! Brother, get well. It sounds like your Dad is bad arse. I hope I can do the similarly when get to 80. Good luck to both, and God bless.

I have a 26” 270 win 1-8 twist. Stability factor at 2,900 fps 2.2. With a Badlands Precision 150 gr Bulldozer 2 monolithic at 3,100 fps the stability factor is 1.51 . The bullet is 1.635 inches long. The 1-8 twist is just enough. Both these bullets have crazy good ballistics. So 1-8 is the sweet spot.

G'day all,
Seeing that my 270 Weatherby has a damaged throat now, long story, I'm wanting to replace the barrel and go with a faster twist for the heavy ABLR.
I have read a few posts here and there and would like your thoughts on a 9" or 8" twist?
Barrel will be an exact copy of what's already on the rifle, which is a switch barrel on a Win Model 70 EW. Barrel has no flutes and is currently 28" long 10" twist.
Thoughts?

Cheers.
Go with 8 and you can shoot 170 Berger’s

You might find with going that fast 1-8 normal factory ammo with lighter bullets your use to shooting will no longer have very good accuracy at that twist. Maybe maybe not - I put a 1-8 twist on 7mm and it will not shoot the lighter bullets worth a darn.

Also not sure how long the ABLR bullets are something to keep in mind would also be bullet length in the mag box. My stw which was rebarelled from a 300 accumark only holds 2 (195 EOL) down one in the pipe. Use to hold 3 and you dont' just slap them in there.

Good luck with the project, love to see the finished results;

My 24" 1:8 270 WSM shoots the 175 TGK great at 2850 FPS over RL-26 with what seem mild pressures (.100" jump). During load work, the bullet didn't display any of the bad behavior previously mentioned in this thread, and ended up shooting a lot better than the 165 ABLR, which I had actually built the rifle around, so to speak.
Have only used it last fall on a MT mule deer at 400 yards. First shot, (right quartering towards me) penetrated >36" and lodged in the left ham (recovered, with 62% weight retention). Buck stumbled a few feet and stopped. Second shot, (broadside) fully penetrated just behind the shoulder, and the buck dropped. Exit shown below.
I have read Browning uses a 1:7.5 twist on their 6.8 WSMs and this is the hunting bullet they load in their 6.8W ammo, but 8" seems fine to me, though I am just a little faster than the 6.8W.

Best of luck and sorry for the troubles life has recently thrown at you.

Rex
IMG_1093e.jpg

Last edited:
1 in 8 twist gives some great optiins for the 270 wby or 270 wsm. When I ran the numbers on the 170 bergers at your approx velocities, the 270 bullets would hang right with the 195 berger 7mm bullets I run at 3140. Pretty sweet for hunting and minimizing the wind. Between the ABLR, 170 Bergers, and Hammers you should find somthing real nice with the 8 twist.

I have used 175 tgk in a 1-8 270 wsm, a 1-7.5 6.8W and another 1-8 6.8W. Super bullet. Very accurate and tough. Significantly beefier jacket than something like eldx. Will shoot through both shoulders and gristle plate of large boar hog and exit. Not common with cup and cores and I shoot different ones all the time. As for shape, Sierra shaped it so would work in a short action which was a goal of the 6.8W. With longer ogive it would not fit in SA OAL without ogive of bullet going inside case mouth. This is also why they did not do a 7mm and why the 7prc is a long action and not a short action. The longest 7mm high bc bullets need a LA for same reason

Lou

G'day all,
Seeing that my 270 Weatherby has a damaged throat now, long story, I'm wanting to replace the barrel and go with a faster twist for the heavy ABLR.
I have read a few posts here and there and would like your thoughts on a 9" or 8" twist?
Barrel will be an exact copy of what's already on the rifle, which is a switch barrel on a Win Model 70 EW. Barrel has no flutes and is currently 28" long 10" twist.
Thoughts?

Cheers.
1 IN 8 on my 28 nosler. similar application. I shoot up to the 195 burgers. my favorite hunting bullet is 143 hammer hunters at 3560.

G'day all,
Thoughts?

Cheers.
Excellent thread and I am so glad that someone brought this up about the 270 Wby Mag. With all the new, sexy calibers you don't see much about the 270 Wby anymore. I have had this exact same problem. I bought a Winchester Model 70 Pre-64 action chambered in 270 Wby Mag back in 1995. It was a tack driver with 130 bullets (Nosler Ballistic Tips and Swift Scirocco's). I got in a bind for reloading components one time and I loaded up some 150 grain bullets. When I tell you the gun wouldn't shoot them, it wouldn't shoot them. I couldn't keep the 150 grain projectiles in a group within 10" of each other. I do not know the twist of the barrel; all I know is it shoots 130 grain projectiles great and will not shoot 150 grain projectiles. My question to the group is this: does anyone know if it is possible for me to re-barrel this Winchester Model 70 Pre-64 action? I would love to re-barrel this gun with a 26" barrel 1 in 8" or 1 in 7.5" twist. Thanks guys