Trying to outshoot 7.62 X 39 with .223

Read the first two and last page.... delayed flight, wish I'd of sat and stared at the wall or maybe gone and laid in the snow.

Recon, you might be on to something.... I got internet talked into buying a Mueller scope some years ago that broke almost immediately. Decided to pack it full of tannerite and shoot it with a 7 rum. It was before I had good camera gear so we didn't get any good footage of it exploding, have always wanted to do it again but don't have any current donors. Might have to see if my buddy can get me a spina off Ali express so we can do a tannerite pack...

Or read enough posts to try and fake it while you push some china crap. Something of the sort. Whatever the end game is, if you can't tell we're not picking up what your putting down.

Then why not just ignore my posts , all of them ?

This is the setup that I use when testing rifles and loads. It's a Caldwell rock front rest and a rear bag. I also use a chronograph
My Rock is several generations older than this one (been using it for about 20 years), but it works as well now as ever. My rear bag looks very similar to this one also.

It does not matter what they say, I already know 40 grain V max and CFE 223 works as well as high end Nosler 40 grain loads.

A 40 grain V-Max would be a good choice if the barrel twist is 1:14.

A 69 grain SMK driven by around 24 to 25 grains of BL(C)-2 or Varget ignited by a CCI 450 in Winchester or Starline brass with an overall length of 2.250" would be an excellent place to start.

I also bought some CFE 223 to try out in the 5.56, when it was pretty much the old powder sitting on the shelf. I've found it much more suitable for ~175 grain 308 Win loads than 5.56.

Last edited:
The CFE 223 really does do what Hodgdon claims. Yesterday I cleaned the rifle after shooting it, I then gave the bore a good dose of wipeout and left it to sit, but I forgot about it and have only just pushed a patch through the bore. There was absolutely no evidence of any copper fouling, none whatsoever.

This bloke is getting what I'm after with a 12 1/2 inch barrel.

What's your opinion about Hodgdon, do they know anything about reloading ?

My opinion is they are an importer

They offer suggestions, like any other component manufacturer, it's up to you to use their suggestions wisely.

Call them up and tell them you solved the 7.62x39mm conundrum, how you solved it and offer them your services, you can reference the outer space thread, should seal the deal on you being offered a board of directors position.

I have 7.62 X39 that will shoot 1/2" groups with at 100 meters with military projectiles. I want to be able to at least match that with a .223 which in theory should not be difficult.

I tried four different bullet weights today , best I got was 1" with 40 grain Hornady V max and 28 grains of CFE 223. I already knew the rifle would shoot 1 moa with 40 grain bullets as that's what I got using 40 grain Nosler Trophy ammo.

This is what I got on todays session.

View attachment 549474

I will try different powder charges with one bullet type per session moving forward.

View attachment 549475
Good thing you won't using something else than AK 47, You might have gotten on the paper target.

The CZ 527 has been discontinued for sometime now. It kind of leave me to believe that the rifle wasn't much of a rifle to start with. Which kind of tells me it wouldn't group to start with. It should be a wall hanger, and a conservation pieces. With a sign underneath it. Saying "Cut hit the broadside of a barn door". 😁

Gday Darrel

They offer suggestions, like any other component manufacturer, it's up to you to use their suggestions wisely.

Call them up and tell them you solved the 7.62x39mm conundrum, how you solved it and offer them your services, you can reference the outer space thread, should seal the deal on you being offered a board of directors position.
Pretty well correct imo also

Hmm
Hodogen imports adi powders
FEAAB087-B01F-4296-B771-C1E42FF641F8.png8DCA3E01-62D6-47A2-886E-22E825F37D6A.png

So guess that classes as military surplus powders these days 😜

A fun read that's for sure 🤪

Cheers

The CFE 223 really does do what Hodgdon claims. Yesterday I cleaned the rifle after shooting it, I then gave the bore a good dose of wipeout and left it to sit, but I forgot about it and have only just pushed a patch through the bore. There was absolutely no evidence of any copper fouling, none whatsoever.

This bloke is getting what I'm after with a 12 1/2 inch barrel.

I'd put a borescope down the barrel before I started claiming that. I've seen plenty of patches come out clean only to go in with a borescope to see that there's still copper.

You obviously know far more about reloading powders than Hogdon then. 🤣 🤣