Trying to outshoot 7.62 X 39 with .223

Just the first place I looked and out of 95 loads listed for 223/556 69gr, not a single one with CFE223.

The majority of these guys have it figured out, you can either save your self some heartache and listen or waste powder and components. FTR, 1lb of CFE223 at 24grs is roughly 291 loaded rounds of ammo. One of these guys recommended a 64gr Nosler Bonded Solid Based load and first rattle out of the trap it produced a nice little 5rd cloverleaf group. 5rds and I was done as far as that rifle is concerned.

If you are not interested in listening, put this on in the background

IMG_3235.jpeg
IMG_3236.jpeg
IMG_3237.jpeg

I got my load info online, it was supposed to be good for a 1 inch at 200.
I'm almost ashamed to say that I read through this thread but I did.
This quote above is just crazy. So a load that you got online is supposed to be good for basically a 1/2" group at 100 yards without any knowledge of the rifle or shooter?
wanting a good repeatable .223 load. The last thing I need is a bipod and a rear bag, that kind of shooting does not interest me, I don't think it's practical.
And you want a repeatable 1/2" 223 load without any support on the back of your rifle?
All I can say is Good Luck.

I'm almost ashamed to say that I read through this thread but I did.
This quote above is just crazy. So a load that you got online is supposed to be good for basically a 1/2" group at 100 yards without any knowledge of the rifle or shooter?

And you want a repeatable 1/2" 223 load without any support on the back of your rifle?
All I can say is Good Luck.
1 inch at 200 was what he said he was getting. I had no reason to doubt him, so I tried his pet load for myself. Now I will try some more.

I want a repeatable 1/2" 223 load, the same as I'm getting with my 7.62 X 39 WK 181's without support on the back.

Just the first place I looked and out of 95 loads listed for 223/556 69gr, not a single one with CFE223.

The majority of these guys have it figured out, you can either save your self some heartache and listen or waste powder and components. FTR, 1lb of CFE223 at 24grs is roughly 291 loaded rounds of ammo. One of these guys recommended a 64gr Nosler Bonded Solid Based load and first rattle out of the trap it produced a nice little 5rd cloverleaf group. 5rds and I was done as far as that rifle is concerned.

I'm not especially concerned about getting a perfect 69 grain load, as I'm already half way there with a 40 grain load. I will work up loads for the four bullet weight available to me before deciding which one to stick with.

I have a couple of loading manuals that do not mention CFE 223, that's because CFE 223 is a relatively new powder on the market. I bought it instead BLC-2.

Copper Fouling Eraser 223 I have suspicion that Hodgdon think it might be a good powder for 223.

What's your opinion about Hodgdon, do they know anything about reloading ?

I'm not especially concerned about getting a perfect 69 grain load, as I'm already half way there with a 40 grain load. I will work up loads for the four bullet weight available to me before deciding which one to stick with.

I have a couple of loading manuals that do not mention CFE 223, that's because CFE 223 is a relatively new powder on the market. I bought it instead BLC-2.

Copper Fouling Eraser 223 I have suspicion that Hodgdon think it might be a good powder for 223.

Sir, with due respect, your post appear to be somewhat suspect. You attempt to come off as someone with very little reloading knowledge seeking the experience of the folks here on this forum. However, you divulge some in depth information that a more experienced shooter would know hence the red flag moment.

So, my summation is your not requesting load data or loads, but an attempt to entertain your unusual ego….best known as Trolling. If this is the case, please go somewhere else to get your kicks and not waste our time.

Last edited:
Yeah they may have developed it for the 223, at first but that doesn't mean it's the best for that. There are plenty of other powders that do better. In fact the CFE223 is an ideal powder for something like a 6.5 Grendel and even larger cartridges. Just like H380, isn't always the best powder for 22-250.

What did the Hogdon reloading site say about your twist rate, 40 gr bullets & your choice of powder ?

The last thing I need is a bipod and a rear bag, that kind of shooting does not interest me, I don't think it's practical.
I would say if you're seriously trying to develop loads and want to shoot 1/2" groups that's the first thing you need to get. If not a bipod then something for a front support and use your current sandbag as your rear support. The whole point is to take the shooter out of the equation as much as possible. There's nothing impractical about using a bipod and rear bag at all, especially when your goal is precision and accuracy. This is the setup that I use when testing rifles and loads. It's a Caldwell rock front rest and a rear bag. I also use a chronograph
IMG_4568.jpeg

I would say if you're seriously trying to develop loads and want to shoot 1/2" groups that's the first thing you need to get. If not a bipod then something for a front support and use your current sandbag as your rear support. The whole point is to take the shooter out of the equation as much as possible. There's nothing impractical about using a bipod and rear bag at all, especially when your goal is precision and accuracy. This is the setup that I use when testing rifles and loads. It's a Caldwell rock front rest and a rear bag. I also use a chronograph View attachment 549804
I have another sand bag I can use to stabilize the rear. I will try it next session.

Sir, with due respect, your post appear to be somewhat suspect. You attempt to come off as someone with very little reloading knowledge seeking the experience of the folks here on this forum. However, you divulge some in depth information that a more experienced shooter would know hence the red flag moment.

So, my summation is your not requesting load data or loads, but an attempt to entertain your unusual ego….best known as Trolling. If this is the case, please go somewhere else to get your kicks and not waste our time.

What in depth information ?

I have been shooting for many years, I never claimed I was a total beginner.