True Hog Killer!

Old Rooster

Just heard from a old time friend back in Louisiana that found a gem of a Hog Killer!
He and I have been killing hogs since we were teenagers so he knows a good hog killing combination when he see's one.
Close to 90 yards he shot a 240-260 pounder that had escaped traps for a long time.He used buckshot a 12 gauge load made of Tungsten buckshot like this:
He said he was leaving his 30-30 home from now on as this is his dedicated hog killing combination.

Shotguns are used for hog hunting around the world. Some prefer slugs to buck, especially at 90 yards. Wonder how many pellets actually hit and where.
At 90 yards I would say it's more like a crapshoot and all luck with very little consistency using buckshot. I say this, but I did not use the heavy shot but I have a shot at an unnamed game animal using buckshot at 90 to 100 yards in a freshly planted field and could see the pellets where they hit. That's why I say it's mostly luck.

Last edited:
Shotguns are used for hog hunting around the world. Some prefer slugs to buck, especially at 90 yards. Wonder how many pellets actually hit and where.
one pellet hit the hog but the one pellet went through the hog and did not recover the 00 buckshot pellet.
When I asked where did the pellet hit the boar he said neck.He went to cut the throat but it was pretty well bled out.
Yep,luck shot but I doubt a lead 00 buckshot would have done much damage at all!
Tungsten is far too expensive for regular use but man it shoots!

Unless I am forced to use a shotgun slug by regulations there is no way that would be my first choice. A shotgun with buckshot would never be a choice at any range. A 45-70 with a Hornady 350 grain RN at 1600 fps is a far more competent performer and far cheaper to load for. It is also a lot better option at 100 yards and over.

Unless I am forced to use a shotgun slug by regulations there is no way that would be my first choice. A shotgun with buckshot would never be a choice at any range. A 45-70 with a Hornady 350 grain RN at 1600 fps is a far more competent performer and far cheaper to load for. It is also a lot better option at 100 yards and over.
Dean2 have you ever used Tungsten?It out performs anything in the shotgun.I shot geese at farther ranges than I ever thought possible.

Dean2 have you ever used Tungsten?It out performs anything in the shotgun.I shot geese at farther ranges than I ever thought possible.
I have used tungsten shot, and tungsten slugs. They both penetrate great and carry well due to its density but they are a ridiculous price. Up here the shot is $16a round and the slugs are $22 a round. I can load 20 45-70 for the price of one slug.

I agree but man they penetrate!We shot geese at 50-60 yards on the wing with #7 pellets and they died so fast.
I'm hoping Tungsten will come down more than it has so the average guy can use it.

Edit to add:I forgot your up north.Yea you folks pay a lot more than us and we think it's too high priced down here!
I thought of building a system that melts Tungsten but found out it melts at around 1600 degree's temp.Thats too much for home made system.

Edit to add;Wrong melting point numbers.Melting point for raw tungsten is 6,191 degree's F

Last edited: