TICKS!!!!

For many years I was an avid bowhunter here on Long Island. We've got all kinds of ticks including deer ticks and lone star ticks. One thing that I did was to remove my outer jumpsuit & boots when coming out of the woods and put them in a big leaf bag. When I got home I put the bag in a stand-up freezer for a few days. No tick can live at zero degrees for very long. We did spray our clothes periodically, but you can't be too careful. As the years rolled by, and winters got milder, the ticks got much worse.

We use to hang the deer in the garage over a white sheet that was sprayed with Permethrin. That sheet would eventually be covered in ticks. My wife was really upset about me bringing home deer that were infested with ticks. I had to little daughters at the time, and she was afraid that I was introducing Lyme laden ticks onto our property.

In the end, it was the ticks that caused me to give up bowhunting.

For many years I was an avid bowhunter here on Long Island. We've got all kinds of ticks including deer ticks and lone star ticks. One thing that I did was to remove my outer jumpsuit & boots when coming out of the woods and put them in a big leaf bag. When I got home I put the bag in a stand-up freezer for a few days. No tick can live at zero degrees for very long. We did spray our clothes periodically, but you can't be too careful. As the years rolled by, and winters got milder, the ticks got much worse.

We use to hang the deer in the garage over a white sheet that was sprayed with Permethrin. That sheet would eventually be covered in ticks. My wife was really upset about me bringing home deer that were infested with ticks. I had to little daughters at the time, and she was afraid that I was introducing Lyme laden ticks onto our property.

In the end, it was the ticks that caused me to give up bowhunting.
Used to love bow hunting, but I have not bow hunted in approximately five years due to ticks and the extreme temperatures. it's hard to keep your scent under control when you're dripping with sweat.

We use this "NEXGARD" for our Cassie and Maximus to control Feas, Ticks, Heart Worm, Hook Worms. Round Worms. Works great from the inside out.
Then the Wondercide Spray on their coats before they go into the fields/woods to prevent the Ticks to get on them.

Speaking of "DEER TICKS" a few years ago we were hunting in NY & PA for deer. My friend helped another friend load a hanging deer into their truck. The deer rested on is shoulder when putting in the truck. About 1/2 hour my friend was itching all over his head and neck. We pulled off the road and I looked at his head. He was covered with about 25 TICKS in his hair and neck. He had to take his shirt off and i had to pick the ticks off of him and comb through his hair.
Ever since then i have been extremely careful field dressing and shinning Deer. Also when I get a Yote that I want to save the hide-after I shoot the yote I put in a sealed garbage bag and load up with flea and tick powder to kill all the nasty insects before I start to skin out.
I know another friend from CT that had medical problems for many years. This was in the 90s to 2000s. Was in the hospital and lots of tests over the years. It was finally figured out that it was LYME Disease. He lived about 30 miles from Lyme, CT. This is where "Tick Lyme Disease" was NAMED! It is BORRELIA BACTERIA

Attachments

• NexGard for Dogs.jpg
    NexGard for Dogs.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 17
They do like to come up with stuff, deer ticks and bad blood mosquitoes, to scare a guy from daily hike thru the woods. Just don't sit around the computer too much and get fat, that'll kill ya lot faster than a tick walking across the Carhartts any day! ThinkN that's why the Carrhart boys made those double knee canvas pants just to , give a guy No-fear hikeN, cause they're dang near scorpion-pruff.

Last edited:
We need to let a flock of guineas loose at range to eat all the ticks. Our neighbors have them and always happy to see them around my place eating the bugs!
I've heard opossums are just absolute TICK EATING MACHINES as well, we don't have them this far north but it's really too bad that you hear of so many people just shooting them for no reason other than they happened to be there. They're apparently not the vectors for disease that mice and rats and things like that are either.

I've heard opossums are just absolute TICK EATING MACHINES as well, we don't have them this far north but it's really too bad that you hear of so many people just shooting them for no reason other than they happened to be there. They're apparently not the vectors for disease that mice and rats and things like that are either.
Possoms, they're mostly just free-lance undertakers that roam the floor of the woods N forests.

They can wreak havoc in a chicken coop!

Last edited:
Oh wow I didn't know that! To be honest I didn't know they were predators of anything that size.

But I suppose it's like raccoons, they're cute and funny and smart and all but dang it they can wreck things and ya gotta do what ya gotta do
One of the main reasons S&W made the Governor, coons and possoms, kind of things that go bump in the night.