Thompson Center rifle benefit raffle for Ian's widow

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Guys

I was approached at SHOT by Thompson Center. They want to donate 2 ICON Precision Hunter rifles to be raffled on our site as a benefit for Ian's widow. Of course, Ian worked with them in the development of this rifle.TC wants to know which cartridge would sell best. The gun is described here.

http://www.tcarms.com/media/assets/pressReleases/0010Icon/pdf/TC_Precision_Hunter.pdf

Icon™ - Thompson/Center
==================

It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife at the Shot Show and I hope all is well. I am checking in to see if you decided on calibers for the raffle rifles for Ian's family . The T/C Precision Hunter currently is chambered in 223, 204, 243, 22/250, 308. If we go with 204 or 223 we will have to wait for magazines, the mold is still being made. Give it some thought and let me know. We could do something in 6.5 like the new 260 Creedmore.
(Len's note, at the show I think he said we could do it in most any short action cartridge but I wouldn't want to wait for mags, time is of the essence)

Best Regards
Mark

=====================

Ian was always shooting a 308 or his weird 325WSM. I do not know why he liked the 325 being as it is a goofy caliber but he did. :D So I would suggest that the 308 would be appropriate.

We are all entitled to our goofyness!!! It is what makes us who we are.

Jim, I am adding a second question here.

How much should we sell tickets for in order to maximize revenue?

The first thing that came to mind when you said Ian and caliber was, like BB said, 308. I'd think that one in 308 and one in 22-250 would cover the big game as well as varmint hunting.

However, I'd say that no matter what caliber they are in, it would be a privilege to contribute to the raffle and an honor to own one if a person was lucky enough to win one.

I'm glad to see that something like this is being done. Just let us know where to send the money.

Wonderful idea.
308 and 22-250 sounds great to me or two different big game cartridges:
308 Win for sure
??? -Whatever would bring the most revenue for her.
Ernie

Len:

Will there be any other site conducting a raffle like this with guns donated by TC or is LRH the only one?

If LRH is the only one, our members could spread the word on other sites and LRH would get a lot more tickets sold as well as possibly ending up with new members, or would this be a LRH members only thing?

I've seen gun raffles go for anywhere from $10 up to $100 and more, but hitting the sweet spot for maximizing sales for the cause we're talking about should be the goal.

If you went $10 and sold too few tickets someone gets a great deal but Mrs. McMurchy doesn't get the benefit of a large volume of sales.

Go with $50 and a lot of guys would possibly think it was too much even though the guns value should be taken into consideration.

$20 might work and you could possible go $20 each or 6 for $100.00 or something similar if you used a different base amount. You could also make this also apply to amounts of increments of $100.00. $100 would get you 6, $200 would get you 13, $300 would get you 20..........something like that. Entice people with free tickets by getting them to spring for larger amounts.

Just some thought of a rambling mind.:rolleyes:

When Ian and I shot together 90% of the time we shot .308's. It was by far his favorite caliber. He also liked the 300 Winchester Mag, 300 WSM and 325 WSM. However, I'm sure if he were limited to one caliber and was forced to choose, the .308 would be his first choice. Seems like a very fitting caliber for the this raffle.

Troy, 2 guns. I don't know whether to do both at once or...

Snipers Hide is going a GA precision build raffle.

Len,

I think that a 223 and 308 would be good choices. Though a 22-250 may get better participation.

Dick gave some good tho'ts regarding ticket pricing. 20-25 bucks would seem about right for the majority of people on here.

I would suggest two separate raffles. It just seems more logical.

Should I enter and win either one of the raffles I'd not take delivery so as it could be raffled again.

Two separate raffles , adjust the second raffle conditions according t what is learned with the first .

223 and 308 , far more people shoot those and that gives a greater number that would be interested .

10 bucks ...max........at that price you will attract a far greater number to participate . 12 chances for a 100 , 20 chances for 150 , 30 chances for 200 .
And everything in between according to that price spread or thereabouts .

There are far more folks willing to spend ten bucks than there are for any amount above that . The value of having such a large pool of potential ticket buyers is that the many will overcome the few and by a large margin I suspect .

Please forgive me if come acros too strongly but I think the true potential of such a fund raising is going unnoticed .

What i mean is this , Every sponsor on this site should be approached to contribute what they can / will towards these two auctions . Creating a package of goodies for each rifle auction will increase the willingness for each of the regular joes that frequent this site to ante up to win such a prize . If 90 % of the folks that come here contribute 10 or more bucks for a chance a rich pot that will far out do a much smaller % that purchase a large number of tickets .

The level of participation for any sponsor need not be burdensome to have a great effect on the overall " pot of gold " . Also the advertisers here are not the only ones that can participate and have a great effect on the end result . Individuals can offer what ever they may have that would be desirable by a potential ticket purchaser .

I dont mean junk or throwaway stuff either . And it doesnt have to be a sacrificial amount either ...................... a box of bullets , a box of brass , primers , powder, ......................need I go on ? we all know what is good stuff ..

Finally , I am with Roy as far as the raffle winner goes ........if I win it then we can raffle it all over again .

If we really want to have a huge impact in Ians wife and familys life there are these things and more that can be done ......thinking caps on , get ready get set , go!

jimmba

Last edited:
Hey guys ,

I plumb forgot to add that I am offering a 100 ct. box of Lapua 308 brass to be added to the 308 rifle auction . Can you imagine how rich the individual auctions would be if all that were moved to do so added some goody to them ??

10 dollars for a chance at a 308 rifle , 300 rounds of brass , 20 lbs of powder , 1000 primers , rifle sling , accurizing by a good smith , a coupla thousand bullets ( from diff mfgs and in diff weights ) scope base , rings , rifle case , reloading dies , ..................................scope ? , rangefinder ?

If you think about it a bit you can see that this website can do a really ,really big thing and it not hurt anyone .

Fatten the pot in this manner and we will have folks flocking from everywhere to buy some tickets .

jimmba

Jim, great ideas except "accurizing by a good smith" may be an unintended insult to FC.

Gentlemen,

Greetings and good evening!

I've done several rifles for raffle for needy organizations over the years. Most charge $10.00 per ticket 6 for $50.00 bucks or $20.00 per ticket and 6 tickets for $100.00 bucks. They've sold tickets at gun shops, taxidermists, fairs, local gun clubs, tire stores etc. with great results!

Holland's Shooters Supply will dontate the following to help out. A Free shooting school tuition $1895.00 value to the 308 winner as well as cleaning supplies, solvents, brushes and a Holland field bag, plus a one year subscription to our News Letter.

The 308 and 22-250 are excellent choices, they will put meat on the table and provide hours of varmint pleasure to the lucky winner.

We give our sincerest condolences to Ian's wife in her time of need. Hopefully the proceeds will comfort her in her time of need.

Respectfully.

Darrell Holland

Holland's Shooter Supply

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.