This was posted by a gate on the two track in area in WY where we were Prairie dog hunting

Baker Alvin

NE Lancaster Co look North N see Berks Co
1718675284234.png

This was not there last year! We hunt several miles beyond this sign and several miles before. Please respect the gates!

View attachment 579730
This was not there last year! We hunt several miles beyond this sign and several miles before. Please respect the gates!
People always ruin things for others, that's why despite numerous pm's by members here asking if they could hunt my gh spots I have to respectively decline, it took years of cultivating trust with the landowner and I can't risk losing it. Acquiring over 5000 acres in Ohio is no small undertaking.

I’m sure it was put up by the rancher who leases the grazing rights. Nothing ****es off ranchers more than people leaving gates open that are keeping in cattle.

Some people just plain suck. I also think there are a lot of people who just don’t have a clue about ranching and the problems leaving gates open causes.

I was fishing a prairie lake that has a narrow launch off an old gravel road on Monday. Some MN a-hole parked their rig just off the launch so you could barely get your boat in or out. All they had to do was drive 50 yards further to make it easier for everyone. It was pretty obvious but they just don’t care.

I am a gen x guy that grew up in Michigan. I worked on the neighbors dairy farm. I learned that if the gate is open leave it open if it is closed keep it close that is the rule of thumb but most people today never work around livestock operations never had to chase and herd them back in you learn your lesson fast. Most people now days are in subdivision houses not at all I am generalize that. Not making excuses but what people do not know they don't know. I like the note it gives people a reminder of what is needed to be done .

Personally I don't think public land should be locked up. Nor should an individual be able to bar access to other users.

These lands are to be leased to people/groups that support neither hunting or grazing. Would we be OK with this?
I'm assuming, based on my experience hunting PDs on Wyoming public land, it's not locked just fenced. Lots of public land (BLM, national grassland, stuff like that) has fences to keep the cattle grazing there in but not locks keeping other users out. It's probably a few pieces of fence wire between two poles with a couple of loops of wire to act as a latch. Basically something like this:

1718759425666.png

I see gates like this on a lot of two tracks.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the sign was posted by another hunter who's sick of seeing the gate left open risking the area becoming closed to vehicles.

I'm assuming, based on my experience hunting PDs on Wyoming public land, it's not locked just fenced. Lots of public land (BLM, national grassland, stuff like that) has fences to keep the cattle grazing there in but not locks keeping other users out. It's probably a few pieces of fence wire between two poles with a couple of loops of wire to act as a latch. Basically something like this:

View attachment 579991

I see gates like this on a lot of two tracks.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the sign was posted by another hunter who's sick of seeing the gate left open risking the area becoming closed to vehicles.
I was speaking of the threat not the gate itself. Unsigned it could be anyone.

Recent Posts