17 WSM ammo

I picked up a couple cases off gunbroker pre-covid for around $65-80, I wish I would have bought a pallet at those prices. The case I got this winter was around $220 to the door. Ruger also finally made a run of rifles after about 5 years of waiting. I got the 20 inch blued barrel with the wood stock.
Where did you get your Ruger ? Was it a special order ?

Where did you get your Ruger ? Was it a special order ?
I have had both the 18.5 and 20 inch barrel on order from the local gunshop for 5 plus years. Neither one has come in yet, I called and said he still couldn't get them. So I have been keeping an eye on gunbroker. Ended getting the 7222 model for $919, which I thought was very fair considering most places are asking 1500-2000. There are 1 of each model there now for under 1200 if anyone is interested.

Will he ship?
I doubt it but will ask. Larry is retired and owns the rural store. He and our pal Al operating the store are also gunsmiths. They are both retired and the store is open only 3 days per week, Friday, Saturday, and Monday. Al is my former boss at the Army installation where I work. He was our Provost Marshall.
I have a Savage Sporter A17 .17 WSM backordered there since two years ago. My Savage BMAG .17 WSM has had to fill the bill.

Last edited:
I think those rifles are fine built but I had read where some have not so good accuracy. Winchester has a new nice new bolt action .17 WSM on the market.
I believe the Win you're talking about was the one I was referring too being less than the B MAG in quality. It may be a fine shooter. But when handling it in 22 lr. It sure did seem like CHEAP. The stock being the biggest downfall to me personally. https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/xpert/xpert-17-wsm.html

I shot one of the best groups of my life with my epoxy bedded stainless bmag threaded suppressed. Just over an inch at 300 yards on sand bags. It was on a Steele gong and the gong didn't move or make noise at that distance just knocked the paint off. Wasn't sure all were hits until we walked up on it. I sprayed it fresh before we started. I'll try to find the picture

I shot one of the best groups of my life with my epoxy bedded stainless bmag threaded suppressed. Just over an inch at 300 yards on sand bags. It was on a Steele gong and the gong didn't move or make noise at that distance just knocked the paint off. Wasn't sure all were hits until we walked up on it. I sprayed it fresh before we started. I'll try to find the picture
Aiming at the bolt, the three next to it are 17 wsm. The others are 6.5 grendle that was grouping much larger

Attachments

• IMG_20200806_195830798.jpg
    IMG_20200806_195830798.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 19
I doubt it but will ask. Larry is retired and owns the rural store. He and our pal Al operating the store are also gunsmiths. They are both retired and the store is open only 3 days per week, Friday, Saturday, and Monday. Al is my former boss at the Army installation where I work. He was our Provost Marshall.
I have a Savage Sporter A17 .17 WSM backordered there since two years ago. My Savage BMAG .17 WSM has had to fill the bill.
Thanks for the update. In another life I was a Marine Corps MP and Dog Handler.

Since it looks like a certain online retailer is no longer showing 17 WSM ammo, does that mean Winchester will finally release more 17 wsm ammo? What kinda deal did they have to get so much in the first place?
It's hard to say when they will do another run. Or who will have it. But if you see it. I suggest buy as much as you can. If you want to shoot.