This was posted by a gate on the two track in area in WY where we were Prairie dog hunting

Working in Gun shops in my youth I was able to hear many stories that were just plain wrong , based on complete inconsideration. It seems as though it is high time to make topics like this part of the class when the newbies take their three session Hunter Safety Classes. A dedicated 20 to 30 min discussion, with Q and A ,on Hunting /Shooting /Fence Climbing/ and going through Gates/Farmers Livestock ect . To many think the right to hunt also means it's their right to be irresponsible. NOT GOOD FOR OUR SPORT .
I totally agree. But I’m in no way being irresponsible IMHO . I contact the fwp officer in my area the rancher and respect fences , cattle etc . I spend 100 plus hrs a year doing land owner relations here in central Mt, I exercise my right to hunt and follow the law to the ‘t’ . I write my state officials and work a lot with hunter access groups. I used to help with hunter safety before Covid, wish more people would get involved

Nobody has hundreds of friends., people they know from face to face experiences. Most of us know enough about our "friends" to determine which are trust worthy and respectful. Why would any person even consider sending a PM to a person who they only know through a forum posting~?

I met Ted T in the late 90s. He is a real Eco Nut. He was a multi millionaire 10xs over. He would drive a old Ford Tempo with no Air Conditioning in HOT Atlanta. He would purchase large tracts of land out West and if there was an old home, buildings, roads, bridges, power lines he would have them removed and put back to natural state. I liked that about the land but he would not let anyone on the property. He hated Hunters!
Ted Turner does not hate hunters, he allows hunting on every one of his ranches.

Ted Turner does not hate hunters, he allows hunting on every one of his ranches.
My mistake then. The Truner Ranches are now Commercialized with Outfitting services for hunting and Fishing.
Back in 1997-98-99 my X worked for Ted and was in charge of all his Sports Teams finances so we did get to know him on a personal level. He was a total environmental excentric and didn't want anyone on his properties. He would sleep in a little apartment in the Braves Stadium and drive an old beat-up ford. with no air. He wanted the lands he owned to be back like before man ever touched it. He was also married to Jane Fonda at that time.
He must have changed his views and business models. His ranches have a combined 2 million acres with over 45,000 Bison.

Good morning Will. Is it legal use use helicopters for transporting your gear and hunting in MT? I understand that's off limits in WY.

We are not allowed to use aircraft of any kind down here in WY. In Alaska a plane was the hunter's taxi service, but no helos were allowed. I am a little jealous, but glad for you.
According to the Wyoming BLM office, helicopter's are 100% legal to access blm land. 24 hour rule .
This is a quote from the blm official I spoke with…..

“It’s time for more hunters to do this to teach the jackass ranchers that they don’t own and control public land”.

He also said to have a conversation with the local game warden before the hunt. That we would need to be in a first name basis because the rancher would be ****ed and try to have us arrested.

My mistake then. The Truner Ranches are now Commercialized with Outfitting services for hunting and Fishing.
Back in 1997-98-99 my X worked for Ted and was in charge of all his Sports Teams finances so we did get to know him on a personal level. He was a total environmental excentric and didn't want anyone on his properties. He would sleep in a little apartment in the Braves Stadium and drive an old beat-up ford. with no air. He wanted the lands he owned to be back like before man ever touched it. He was also married to Jane Fonda at that time.
He must have changed his views and business models. His ranches have a combined 2 million acres with over 45,000 Bison.
He may have seen the light, hunting as a conservation tool is good and waking up next to Hanoi Jane every morning was bad!

According to the Wyoming BLM office, helicopter's are 100% legal to access blm land. 24 hour rule .

"It's time for more hunters to do this to teach the jackass ranchers that they don't own and control public land".

He also said to have a conversation with the local game warden before the hunt. That we would need to be in a first name basis because the rancher would be ****ed and try to have us arrested.
Amen brother I’ll go with you!! I do it here in central Mt.

"It's time for more hunters to do this to teach the jackass ranchers that they don't own and control public land".

Accessing BLM land is legal. Helicopters were not legal to transport hunters or their game, here in Wyoming. That was twenty years ago. It sure could have changed.

Last edited:
Why does it matter....who....all they are doing is asking for common courtesy....the next step....may not be Walk In....it may be...Stay the Hellllllo out!
Courtesy up until the threat. Pretty reasonable to ask who, and what their authority regarding closing access to public ground is.

Maybe its a hunter trying to get one over, maybe its an anti hunter trying to be disruptive. Meth cooker??????

There are already millions of public acres in the west lacking access, much of it by adjacent private land owners.

No access, no hunting. Many from across the country come west to experience their Public Lands under a multi use philosophy that is threatened on a regular basis. Currently changing rules may allow environmental groups to lease lands. Substitute anti hunter, for rancher is it now a problem??????

What we need to fight for below.

Recent Posts