This was posted by a gate on the two track in area in WY where we were Prairie dog hunting

So, think of it this way, some idiot leaves a gate open, cattle get out on the road after dark and here comes Mother bringing her kids home from playing ball or something. Cows, especially if black are very hard to see in the dark. Smack!!! Right into the middle of them. Not a good outcome. Just because some idiot failed to shut the gate.

I'm assuming, based on my experience hunting PDs on Wyoming public land, it's not locked just fenced. Lots of public land (BLM, national grassland, stuff like that) has fences to keep the cattle grazing there in but not locks keeping other users out. It's probably a few pieces of fence wire between two poles with a couple of loops of wire to act as a latch. Basically something like this:

View attachment 579991

I see gates like this on a lot of two tracks.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the sign was posted by another hunter who's sick of seeing the gate left open risking the area becoming closed to vehicles.
That would surprise me since the sign was posted with fence staples.

I'm assuming, based on my experience hunting PDs on Wyoming public land, it's not locked just fenced. Lots of public land (BLM, national grassland, stuff like that) has fences to keep the cattle grazing there in but not locks keeping other users out. It's probably a few pieces of fence wire between two poles with a couple of loops of wire to act as a latch. Basically something like this:

View attachment 579991

I see gates like this on a lot of two tracks.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the sign was posted by another hunter who's sick of seeing the gate left open risking the area becoming closed to vehicles.
We call them Taranaki gates, here in NZ. The Aussies have a different name for them.

At 70 years old I have seen and heard all the BS. My policy is plain and simple! If the gate is closed , close it! If It's open close it, because some dumb s...t didn't close it. It's easier for me to go open it than spend the day getting the livestock back in because some dumb SOB was to lazy to close the gate. For that reason we decided several years ago to close our ranch to public entry and go a different direction. our focus now is on youth hunters. Depending on deer numbers and winter survival I'll take up to 3 youth hunters out for a day or more if needed. They get a chance to harvest a deer and don't have to worry about other hunters.
we can spot a buck and plan a stalk to get them in the right place to make a one shot kill. Nothing nicer than a happy kid with their first deer and nothing but the perfect experience. The interesting is I get more enjoyment guiding girls than boys , they ask a lot of questions, pay more attention.

I've hunted lots of BLM land and the rule way back when was if it's closed.. close it. If it's open leave it open. The problem was if some one left it open because they were just plain lazy. Cattle grazing on one section may have the gate open on purpose by the rancher he wants the cattle to migrate thru to greener pastures. Being a good Samaritan and closing it just screws things up and no one has time to play gate keeper and having to check on a gate daily. I did some thinking and figured the sign was OK but why not have the rancher just post an 'O' card for open and a 'C' card for closed. Then he could change the card as need. And if you come across an open gate with a C card.. close it. And visa versa. My 2cents

I've hunted lots of BLM land and the rule way back when was if it's closed.. close it. If it's open leave it open. The problem was if some one left it open because they were just plain lazy. Cattle grazing on one section may have the gate open on purpose by the rancher he wants the cattle to migrate thru to greener pastures. Being a good Samaritan and closing it just screws things up and no one has time to play gate keeper and having to check on a gate daily. I did some thinking and figured the sign was OK but why not have the rancher just post an 'O' card for open and a 'C' card for closed. Then he could change the card as need. And if you come across an open gate with a C card.. close it. And visa versa. My 2cents
A good system if everyone was honest. Sounds like a system where some jackA teens would flip the signs.

I couldn’t agree more, and yet this almost never happens. Certainly not on public ground.
I have personally had hunting " honey holes" absolutely destroyed by livestock overgrazing on multiple occasions.

I have seen sheep graze (one of my favorite places to hunt) the land down to bare dirt. This was five years ago and the ground has never recovered.

We see overgrazing of public land as the norm in many areas, destroying habitat and leaving nothing for the native wildlife.

Last edited:
That would surprise me since the sign was posted with fence staples.
I noticed that too. I saw those staples and figured that was only put there by someone who worked fences, and therefore had a vested interest in a gate being closed...

I also sensed that it wasnt an idle threat. That they would lock that gate (whether or not they had the legal right too, thats a different argument)

I was fishing a prairie lake that has a narrow launch off an old gravel road on Monday. Some MN a-hole parked their rig just off the launch so you could barely get your boat in or out. All they had to do was drive 50 yards further to make it easier for everyone. It was pretty obvious but they just don’t care.
Jeez. Don’t get me started on boat ramp etiquette!

On a lake close to me, on a three lane boat ramp. I was putting in on a weekday evening next to another guy. No problems.

I fished and came back at sunset. He had left his truck parked on the ramp the entire three hours to make it easier to load up.

Talk about inconsiderate.

Jeez. Don’t get me started on boat ramp etiquette!

On a lake close to me, on a three lane boat ramp. I was putting in on a weekday evening next to another guy. No problems.

I fished and came back at sunset. He had left his truck parked on the ramp the entire three hours to make it easier to load up.

Talk about inconsiderate.
Fail Black And White GIF

I’m sure it was put up by the rancher who leases the grazing rights. Nothing ****es off ranchers more than people leaving gates open that are keeping in cattle.

Some people just plain suck. I also think there are a lot of people who just don’t have a clue about ranching and the problems leaving gates open causes.

I was fishing a prairie lake that has a narrow launch off an old gravel road on Monday. Some MN a-hole parked their rig just off the launch so you could barely get your boat in or out. All they had to do was drive 50 yards further to make it easier for everyone. It was pretty obvious but they just don’t care.
Time to employ the valve-stem tool…