This is whats wrong with hunting today

I'll say this to start with: That guy is a D-bag, talks too fast, and has effeminate mannerisms and vocal inflections that make him(?) very difficult/ annoying to listen to.

As others have pointed out, he compares apples to oranges, and focuses on cherry-picked data, much of which is irrelevant.

Now there is a point to be made, that smaller, heavy for caliber bullets at high velocities can cause very ugly wound channels and kill very well. See pics of 55grFMJ 5.56 performance on humans and deer-sized mammals..... if you can stomach it. Oof. It's not even an expanding bullet, and it's devastating.

But this dude's entire video is nothing but the ol' "Baffle 'em with BS" comedy routine. Except it ain't funny.

For me the issue is not about small calibers. I learned long before interwebs and I-Phones, that a well-built bullet in any caliber put in a good spot with adequate velocity to open the bullet kills effectively. There are alot of variables that make any bullet more or less viable and or desirable for a given task. That is where my rub starts with these tubers. They do not present the possible limitations of any of their components. Whatever they are selling is never a compromise. We all know, everything is a compromise one way or the other. For folks that are really into the weeds, experience has taught us enough to see these shows for what they are. For the guy just getting started, these shows sell a bill of goods that is setting them up for a very expensive fail, and probably on several levels.

Last edited:
That poor baby 😢

😂
You don’t need some super shoulder smasher magnum for big game hunting, but if a 7-08 (a much more appropriate hunting round) or something like that is still too much recoil…maybe collecting baseball cards would be a hobby better suited than big game hunting 🤣

Its just like when the 22 highpower a 3030 necked to .228 and the 220 swift came out .People thought that the speed of the bullet was the ultimate killer .Then they read where one guy shot a tiger or bear with one then everyone should do the same .I tried the 243 win on deer amd it was awrsome on deer to 120 pounds .I then shot two huge bucks and lost them both after drop like blood trails and one to a gut pile a mile away after using dogs .The guy that shot ot didnt even know it was hit .I put my 243 away and never used it for deer again .

Its just like when the 22 highpower a 3030 necked to .228 and the 220 swift came out .People thought that the speed of the bullet was the ultimate killer .Then they read where one guy shot a tiger or bear with one then everyone should do the same .I tried the 243 win on deer amd it was awrsome on deer to 120 pounds .I then shot two huge bucks and lost them both after drop like blood trails and one to a gut pile a mile away after using dogs .The guy that shot ot didnt even know it was hit .I put my 243 away and never used it for deer again .
I have seen that same exact performance from the 243. Kills deer up to 120-130 pounds like lightning. Throw in another 80-100 pounds of muscle and testosterone it's a lot different story. Kind of like shooting sows and pigs vs. shooting a mature boar hog with a thick shield. He's a different animal altogether.

He stated why he didn’t what to shoot bigger calibers. He’s recoil sensitive and doesn’t like the impact on his shoulder.

I'am turning the corner on 70 years old....have a bad right eye a wrecked right shoulder and have had to learn to shoot left handed....don't shoot as much as I did when younger but still use a approbate caliber for hunting usually larger than most people would use....I have alway liked a hole in and out on a animal leaving a lot of blood to follow to a animal....

I worked doing animal control shooting and have shot 1000's of deer with every thing from a 222 Remington to a 50 B&M SS they all will kill a deer....just some will do a better job and some only with a precise shots....
One caliber that really shined in my work has been the 243 Winchester using Sierra 85 gr. HPBT bullet....I tend to shoot under 200 yards and shooting relaxed deer in a field feeding but its very rare for a deer to run 50 yards most are DRT....
To fill my deer tags during hunting season mostly use my pre-64 Model 70 Winchester in 7 mm Rem. Mag.....much rather have more than I might need than to little during hunting season.....

Last edited:
Exactly i think i shot 20 smaller deer with the 243 no problem then one day i shot a little buck in his tracks then a big buck in the same place 5 mins later .It was huge and ran off wide open and i knew i shot it the same place behind the shoulder .I found it the next year in a gully 1/2 a mile away .I also got talked into 125 grain 3006 bullets because they were faster .I lost the first deer i shot a huge 10 pointer .I also had terrible trouble with serria 165 grain bt blowimg up on close deer too .I switched to the 338 win mag for all big game for 35 years no problems with it .

I'm not the manbun guy--I am also not an influencer. I will say I have shot a 22 creedmoor a good bit and some smaller calibers like 222, 223, 22-250,6 BR, 6 ARC 240 wby, 243, 25-06, 257 wby a lot, and at considered big game animals. With the right bullet they work. I'm not here to "measure up" to any one-- I am over 40 years old and hunted quite a few, game animals from varmints, wild sheep, to the largest game on earth.

Most people shoot better with a smaller caliber that kick and "bark" less--do I suggest someone go on a hunt with a subpar caliber--no--but I'll take a guy on a deer hunt shooting a 22-250 that shoots it well and accurately than a guy shooting a 300 win that has a terrible flinch.

Don't hate if you have not used a fast twisted larger capacity 22 with good bullets--it does good things when you put the bullets in the right place.

If you don't want to use one don't. I will say they are not for everyone---and not every situation, but my 11 year old is deadly with one--and my daughter has killed quite a few big game animals with a 22 creedmoor and 240 wby. So I guess only kids under 16 can kill animals with calibers 25 and less.
Yep. Don’t discount high horsepower 22 caliber cartridges and performance on game with heavy for caliber bullets.

Here is a verified drop chart for my 22-250AI shooting 90 grain ATips with a muzzle velocity of ~3000fps.

IMG_1905.png

Supersonic to almost a mile and carries 1800fps to 1000 yards. Plenty for expansion at that distance.

I’ve killed a few whitetail and a lots of pigs with devastating terminal performance to 600 yards. Easily spot shots at almost any distance and magnification.

I worked doing animal control shooting and have shot 1000's of deer with every thing from a 222 Remington to a 50 B&M SS they all will kill a deer....just some will do a better job and some only with a precise shots....
One caliber that really shined in my work has been the 243 Winchester using Sierra 85 gr. HPBT bullet....I tend to shoot under 200 yards and shooting relaxed deer in a field feeding but it's very rare for a deer to run 50 yards most are DRT....
That same combo, and the 243 with a 95 grain SST, is used alot in my neck of the woods for the exact same job and it excels at it. I prefer 6.5 Grendel or my AR 10 in 308 with thermal but that's neither here nor there. Where it gets you into trouble is the heavier, tougher bucks. Which we do not shoot during depredation. The 243, It kills these heavier bucks, eventually. But can you find them afterwards. That is the problem. A 50 yard run may put you in water up to your neck. They don't have to run far to make your night a living h-ll. You need blood to follow too. For my serious buck hunting either the 6.5-06, 270, or 308 come out and high shoulder shots are the norm. No tracking necessary.

22 is the new 338, or is that the creed, and why does he naturally assume everyone can’t handle or shoot well the larger calibers, especially considering most today shoot breaks or suppressors. To many speak for others when they should be speaking for themselves, and many times with little to no experience to make a quick vid. I say that because if they did these ignorant vids wouldn’t be made in the first place.

He goes on to boast to the advantage of the prc’s high bc, of course comparing an 80 gr vs a 50 gr, yet then turns around and has an excuse of why the 22250 is 3-400 fps faster only because it uses a 50 grain not an 80. Clearly he want the sell with the apples to oranges.

I use to think many played dumb for views or just as a salesman to push something, but I’m beginning to think it’s not an act and people are actually that dumb.

That same combo, and the 243 with a 95 grain SST, is used alot in my neck of the woods for the exact same job and it excels at it. I prefer 6.5 Grendel or my AR 10 in 308 with thermal but that's neither here nor there. Where it gets you into trouble is the heavier, tougher bucks. Which we do not shoot during depredation. The 243, It kills these heavier bucks, eventually. But can you find them afterwards. That is the problem. A 50 yard run may put you in water up to your neck. They don't have to run far to make your night a living h-ll. You need blood to follow too. For my serious buck hunting either the 6.5-06, 270, or 308 come out and high shoulder shots are the norm. No tracking necessary.

I've killed a few heavy and "tougher" deer with various 6mm's at various ranges (over 800yds with 6mmRem-AI), and around here, we have people who have been killing "elk" with 243's for decades.

"Bullet" selection and placement........

Just for viewing pleasure and at 260yds. There are many more vids of people using 243's on elk, and some are large bulls.

Last edited:
22 is the new 338, or is that the creed, and why does he naturally assume everyone can’t handle or shoot well the larger calibers, especially considering most today shoot breaks or suppressors. To many speak for others when they should be speaking for themselves, and many times with little to no experience to make a quick vid. I say that because if they did these ignorant vids wouldn’t be made in the first place.

He goes on to boast to the advantage of the prc’s high bc, of course comparing an 80 gr vs a 50 gr, yet then turns around and has an excuse of why the 22250 is 3-400 fps faster only because it uses a 50 grain not an 80. Clearly he want the sell with the apples to oranges.

I use to think many played dumb for views or just as a salesman to push something, but I’m beginning to think it’s not an act and people are actually that dumb.
Your last sentence pretty much nailed it!