Newer Truck vs. Low Mileage Old Truck

I was just listening to the automotive repair guy on the radio yesterday and they were discussing transmission service. He agreed with most of the service issues with flush, drop and fill etc. but also said there is a newer fluid transfer that can be done now. Nut a flush but a low velocity transfer that replaces all the fluid and doesnt knock all the garbage loose on higher mile transmissions. Makes sense.
I havent had a car payment in 20 years or so, always pay cash. I may not drive as new of vehicles but they still have never left me sit along the road. My current truck is a 2002 Silverado with about 220k on it. Bought it at around 100k and have only had to change brakes. I do have a small rear main leak but just hate doing that stuff anymore as I broke my back and am usually fighting cancer but will do it some time.
My son spends about $900 a month on truck payment and Insurance which he is tired of. It seems like used truck prices have dropped back a bit so he is going to sell his and buy a much cheaper truck for cash or very low payment. These newer trucks are beautiful but when they have a problem it can be so hard to work on.

I was just listening to the automotive repair guy on the radio yesterday and they were discussing transmission service. He agreed with most of the service issues with flush, drop and fill etc. but also said there is a newer fluid transfer that can be done now. Nut a flush but a low velocity transfer that replaces all the fluid and doesnt knock all the garbage loose on higher mile transmissions. Makes sense.
I havent had a car payment in 20 years or so, always pay cash. I may not drive as new of vehicles but they still have never left me sit along the road. My current truck is a 2002 Silverado with about 220k on it. Bought it at around 100k and have only had to change brakes. I do have a small rear main leak but just hate doing that stuff anymore as I broke my back and am usually fighting cancer but will do it some time.
My son spends about $900 a month on truck payment and Insurance which he is tired of. It seems like used truck prices have dropped back a bit so he is going to sell his and buy a much cheaper truck for cash or very low payment. These newer trucks are beautiful but when they have a problem it can be so hard to work on.
On the fluid transfer how do they get the fluid out of the converter? No way to do it unless it’s running. Don’t believe everything you hear.

Best thing is to drop the pan and filter, replace the filter reinstall the pan and refill with proper fluid.

I had a 1982 Toyota SR5 4x4 that I bought used in 1984.
I loved that truck, it was a Billy goat of a 4x4.
I had until I got tired of people pulling up wanting to buy it, so 3 years ago a young man that I practically raised as my own asked if I would let him have it so he drives it now 😂 and he has to put up with people trying to buy it
I have a little fun with people that keep asking to buy something I don’t wanna sell. I give them an outlandish price like the 1982 Toyota tell them $45,000, then you get the typical response it’s not worth that. I say it is to me and did you see a for sale sign on it? Usually that gets them to quit asking lol.

Just be sure you ask enough 30 years ago I worked at a dealership ( I'll never do that again ) where one of the managers built himself a Harley and painted it purple, one guy kept pestering him to sell it he finally said $16,000 and the guy said ok. He made some money but had to start all over again. lol
Yep, I know a guy that used to own a used car lot (prior to covid, it went under during covid). He had a Vette he really liked and one guy in the neighborhood asked him weekly about buying it (it appeared from the guys looks he could not afford it). After about a year of him asking, he gave him an outrageous price and the guy said “I’ll take it” and came with cash. Turns out he had just won a lawsuit. The price he gave he made up and did not want to sell the vette but he never expected the guy to have the money either.

Number years ago I had a single cab 1998 ford f350 with the 7.3 diesel and standard transmission. I had dressed it up quite a bit. A young man that was the son of a friend kept asking, how much we'd take for it. This went on for quite a while. Finally I put a somewhat ridiculous price on it. The next thing I know is I get a call from a banker wanting to know if I could bring the title in. This was 2 weeks before start of hunting season. My wife was not real happy with me. Anyway way we took the money down and purchased a brand new 2001 dodge 2500 double cab (suicide doors) with diesel and standard transmission. Went hunting and I was out of trouble.

Yep, I know a guy that used to own a used car lot (prior to covid, it went under during covid). He had a Vette he really liked and one guy in the neighborhood asked him weekly about buying it (it appeared from the guys looks he could not afford it). After about a year of him asking, he gave him an outrageous price and the guy said "I'll take it" and came with cash. Turns out he had just won a lawsuit. The price he gave he made up and did not want to sell the vette but he never expected the guy to have the money either.
Just goes to show. You should never judge a book by its cover. lol

We have a 2005 Nissan Frontier 4x4 that we bought on 01-01-05. It currently has 160,000 miles. Over the years I did most all the maintenance with exception of changing the trans fluid, that was done at a shop. At 120,000 miles my last big repair was putting all four Cats on with new oxy sensors. I put new plugs, coils, fuel injectors, belt & tension pully, Brake pads & Rotars, changed all the gear oil, vacuumed out the air con freon and replaced with new freon and new Mich Tires.
Right after the engine light came on and I did a diagnostic on it and it was the NEW OXY Sensors. If you don't use "NISSAN" Oxy Sensors the computer will not work correctly. Well Nissan garage wants $1,500 to change the sensors out.
Yesterday I bought new NGK/NTK Oxy Sensors for $450.00 with a Socket. I read all the reviews and they all said that after putting them in it is just like Nissan Sensors and worked with the computer. I also put a new Nissan computer in around 80K miles.

Trying to get another 100K miles out of this truck. Don't want/can/t spend $70K on a new Truck. I do need a NEW Tractor. I will sell our older Tractor FEL/BH and get a new one. We have a lot of work on the property I figure $30K to have the work done by a contractor so buy a new Tractor and do it myself.
Back to the truck. I also need new tires. Was supposed to get 70K miles out of these tires but only got about 50K. Might get a rebate from Mich.
Would like to get another 100K miles out of a 19 1/2 year old truck.