Barrel not straight in stock.

Chris71404

Hey guys. Just a little background. Had a Remington 700 LA trued and barrel replaced with a carbon 6 Sendero. Ordered a pure precision altitude stock. When I drop in the barreled action the barre sits off to the left. Even with action screws tightened it does not fix the issue. Opened up the barrel just a bit to see if it helped but again still off to the left.

Any recommendations?

Was planning on bedding the stock and saw that some guys wrap tape around the barrel ahead of the recoil lug.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hey guys. Just a little background. Had a Remington 700 LA trued and barrel replaced with a carbon 6 Sendero. Ordered a pure precision altitude stock. When I drop in the barreled action the barre sits off to the left. Even with action screws tightened it does not fix the issue. Opened up the barrel just a bit to see if it helped but again still off to the left.

Any recommendations?

Was planning on bedding the stock and saw that some guys wrap tape around the barrel ahead of the recoil lug.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.
If you’re near your GS, have him determine if it is a stock issue.

Is the barrel gradually angling off to the side- or is it consistent from the lug forward?
Assuming your smith did the work (correctly) you paid him to do, it can't be anything other than the stock inletting.
There is no actual definition of a "trued" receiver- it can include any or all of: face receiver ring, true lug abutments, true bolt lugs, bore internal threads and true/cut oversize...

At minimum, whether "trued" or not, the receiver ring should always be faced/trued to the bolt raceway as part of the rebarreling process (at least I do, anyway) when dealing with a factory M700 receiver, though the new ones are quite a bit better than the old ones in my experience.

With a trued receiver ring, and a shoulder that is perpendicular to the bore- the bore can't be anything but perfectly concentric to the receiver boltway; and unless your barrel is effed, the OD of the barrel should be within a few thousandths of concentric to the bore.

Sounds like it is time to bed. If you are not confident in bedding, take it to a nearby smith. Advice on specifics without much detail can be tough. I have successfully bedded several rifles where I had to machine-out/relieve interference in the space contacting the recoil lug and then insert several strategically placed spacers to get the assembly to setup true. I also agree with the comment on seeing Pure Precision's take on the issue.

If you are going to bed it you can center the barrel in the channel using tape like you mentioned.

However, there may be a mis-alignment problem between the barrel and receiver. This could cause your next headache of the scope mounting screw holes not being inline with the barrel.

If you have a straightedge you could align over the screw holes, see if the barrel seems to be in the same direction. (I have an aluminum yardstick that works well for this.)

I would start with the stock checking it for an obstruction in the recoil lug mortise then check the stock for straightness relative to the takedown screw holes. Set the barreled action back in without the trigger, bolt and mag box and see if that changes the fit.
You would need some way of checking the straightness of the barreled action. Can't recall if you could set the action into the stock upside down (lug up) to see if the interference at the barrel switches sides? Never tried it before....
Sometimes things go bad but without a smith or someone with experience in troubleshooting bedding, it might be a good learning curve to find out what it is yourself.

Before you go crazy, remove the trigger then replace the barreled action in the stock. Some inlets do not account for changes in trigger parts so the inlet is too narrow, pushing the barreled action off to one side.

Be sure to check the recoil lug inlet for a flat bottom and perpendicularity to the action and barrel.

Enjoy!

:)

Might be stock not straight around barrel. Take a photo then contact Precision Altitude.

Ordinarily opening up recoil lug recess and bedding with epoxy resin then scraping out barrel channel would fix it but this problem should have not occurred with this type of high price stock.

The Rem 700 has a receiver that looks like a cylinder and the recoil lug is a flat piece fixed between barrel & receiver face. Iif the recoil lug is absolutely flat & receiver face true, the recoil lug will be at right angle to axis of barrel & receiver. Any projecting parts contacting stock like triggers will be jammed into the surrounding stock by action screw tension - like over 750 pounds with 40 inch pounds of torque with a .25 X 20 receiver screw/bolt.

Often epoxy resins will not permanently bond to some plastics so a mechanical type lockup is desired, like bigger/wider at bottom & smaller/narrower at top.

The receiver & back of recoil lug should tightly contact inside stock & be held in position by front receiver screw/bolt tension.

I’m gathering you sent the action to be trued? Or, did you buy it that way? If so,Ii’d call the smith who did the true job.

Before you start grinding on anything. I’d make sure there’s not a defect on that stock. Potentially, you have a warranty case with the stock.

Do you have pics you can share with the group?