This is whats wrong with hunting today

I remember way back in the day if you had a Redfield 3X9, the one with the ocular ring that had the shape of a TV you were in “high cotton”.
Widefield?
When I as about 8-10yrs old I remember adults telling me they were made for “running” shots.
Perhaps if they held zero better, and didn’t require 3 taps or firing to get the desired movement that would have been the case!

Last edited:
I remember way back in the day if you had a Redfield 3X9, the one with the ocular ring that had the shape of a TV you were in “high cotton”.
That is what I used to top the first hunting rifle I bought myself (LH R700 BDL in 7mm RM). Mine also had the built in “rangefinder”.

Internet image:

IMG_2152.jpeg

I've still got one, bought it in 1977 when I bought my new model 70 30-06, I was 16. It's a metallic silhouette and move something like 5/8" per click. I've killed a bunch of deer and groundhogs using it.

Widefield?
When I as about 8-10yrs old I remember adults telling me they were made for “running” shots.
Perhaps if they held zero better, and didn’t require 3 taps or firing to get the desired movement that would have been the case!
All that ridiculous eyepiece did was to obstruct the top and bottom of a perfectly marginal quality scope.

Sounds like one guy here has actual experience with 22cm and is quite happy with it.

A lot of others are saying what can’t be done, with something they haven't experienced.

Bullet construction > bullet diameter

launching a heavy-for-caliber 70-90gr bullet (typical 6mm weights), with high BC, at over 3k muzzle velocity, doesn’t sound too benign to me.

After reading most of the RS .223 thread, and seeing dozens of animals with fist sized holes in them, from 22 cal bullets, the extra capacity of the 22cm looks quite capable.

Wolf Precision uses 22cm for their long range shooting school, with no issues out to 1,000yds.

I’m not saying it’s a 1k hunting round, but 500-600, it should do just fine. A 88gr ELDM will be above minimum expansion velocity past 700yds.

I think the term they are using these days is " deep fakes " . I'm waiting for the golf challenge with an 8 handicap . I hope hunting season starts up soon , these treads are taking up all of my time . Guess I will go trim some trees . Anyone wanna start an argument about what saw I should use ? Spoiler , its gonna be the Stihl lol !

I'm partially posting this in response to the wonderful discussion @Huntnful started about smaller calibers. This is not a bash on small caliber hunters or anyone else for that matter (including the man in the video). Flash to the 5:50 mark and indulge. Please tell me that I'm not the only one who is shaking my head in disbelief that guys like this are presenting info to people as if the round is actually the "Ultimate hunting round" IMO this is preposterous, with highly inaccurate and incomplete comparisons. This is what's wrong with hunting and especially long range hunting these days. Wondering if I'm not the only one here?

This guy doesn’t have a clue.