The Most DISSAPOINTING Bullet there ever was...

IMG_3589.jpg
..enough said.

Spot on Vince regarding the 150 NBT. I've been using them out of my various Big 7's for close to 40 years. IN my 7 Mashburn Super @ 3200 they're a wonderful open range killer of small big game (deer/lopes) and of elk. We've taken an ark full of game with them, to date we've not recovered one or had one stay inside a critter and that includes as I mentioned a ton load of elk.

I tend to rate my bullets based off how they work on elk, if they'll work on elk then they'll do just fine on the smaller critters.

No experience with them (150 BT) yet but I have read over and over that the 7mm 120 ballistic tip is a pretty remarkable killer in the 280 AI at around 3200 fps.

Last edited:
Early Barnes X were a joke (other than their MZ bullets, I’ve sworn them off). Also had bad luck with .338 250g Game King (did not expand on rib shot elk at 400-450yds). Early 200g .338 BT were way too soft even at 500yds on elk.

These days, I mostly shoot Accubonds, new manufacture Ballistic Tips and Hornady Spire Points. Partitions have always been dead reliable but a challenge to find MOA accuracy.

That amazes me about the 250 Sierra GK not opening. I've used that bullet a lot on elk out of my .340 Wby. Always worked well on elk and small big game like deer/lopes.

Did you recover the elk?

Can't speak to the early 200 NBT's but the one's made in the late 80's and 90's were incredible on elk be it out of my .340 or my 338/06.

Like I've always said, if one uses a bullet long enough sooner or later one will see something that makes you go hmm.........

That amazes me about the 250 Sierra GK not opening. I've used that bullet a lot on elk out of my .340 Wby. Always worked well on elk and small big game like deer/lopes.

Did you recover the elk?

Can't speak to the early 200 NBT's but the one's made in the late 80's and 90's were incredible on elk be it out of my .340 or my 338/06.

Like I've always said, if one uses a bullet long enough sooner or later one will see something that makes you go hmm.........
I was a slow learner…. I shot a couple through the lungs…only to have shoot again breaking down the shoulders…. No apparent expansion on the rib shots. This was out of a 338WM.

Interestingly, the same rifle has complete blow ups in two shots into the ribs with the 200g BT…. It required an anchoring shot in the neck .

Funny how bullets can perform so differently.

The early model was more explosive hands down.
Between .257, .277 and .284 it wasn't a problem on deer and pigs for us 4 Rizzo's.
Standard 25/06, 270 and 7RM.

The "Hunting" model produced now is more well behaved, for certain. And just as capable of BR type groups. I ran some 115's and 160's through doe last year, with awesome results. Probably 50% exits.
MV from 3000-3400+
May try some 6.5 140gr this year. Accubonds at high impact speed are impressive also, precision has been easy to obtain with them too. I'm just glad production ramped back up so they could be found.😁

Last edited:
With the MILLIONS of bullets produced in each Caliber, Brand, weight, & model there are bound to be failures in each.
All the companies do massive amounts of testing to produce a product that should work AS INTENDED
look at auto manufacturing. All make Lemons lmao especially Fords

A higher BC model BT, like the .277/170gr offering would be nice…for the very abundant .264 and .284 chamberings.!
Not to mention .257 and even .308!

I’m puzzled why they picked .277 but it’s lucky for those guys.

I have had great luck with Barnes TSX and TTSX in 243 and 338Fed. Plain jane Hornady Interlocks or Remington CoreLokts have always done great for me. The Interbond is a good bullet but can be a pain to get to shoot. Heck, I have had good luck with a patched round ball too! The only failures for me have been anything made by Speer. They were accurate enough but sometimes they would fragment or pencil. I just never knew.

I have killed two bull elk with the 7 Mag, 140g Nosler ballistic tip at a MV of 3250 fps, countless deer. 150g Nosler ballistic tips at 3150-3250 in 9Twist barrels are incredible killers. Here in the South, we get to kill a lot of deer, if the bullets are bad, we find out in a hurry. I don't shoot deer at distances less than 50 yards as a rule, but I did kill my largest buck in Alabama with a 270 A Bolt with 130g Nosler ballistic tips as I grunted and rattled him up during the rut at a distance of 10 yards.

IN my and brother's 7 Stw's, we shot the 140g Nosler combined technology bullet at 3550-3700(28"-11T, .020 Freebore) depending on the barrel, and the 120g Nosler ballistic tips at 3850 fps with such accuracy few can believe the small groups with IMR 7828 and R#22. My brother's tire store has 4 walls full of trophy deer shot from all over the country, all with the 140g Nosler Combined Technology bullets.

We have no control over manufacturing standards. I begin to wonder if alloy that Nosler draws the jackets from or possibly the lead core hardness can vary.

A couple of guys shot the 7 Mashburn Super with the 150g Nosler ballistic tips at 3350, killing elk.

Last edited: