The Most DISSAPOINTING Bullet there ever was...

Back when I did not know any better, I had a bullet failure on a large buck around 300 yards. 150g Match king out of a 7 Rem mag at 3150 fps, bullet splashed on the shoulder, but knocked him down. He got up and was never found till the next year.
That the problem with Match King and others like that. They are for target shooting, not hunting bullets. They mint to hold there shape to punch paper.

Live and learn, eh Mike? That was a shore nuff wall hanger that I lost. We get hooked on accuracy at times. 150g Sierra btsp is money in the bank, but no one shoots them. I have some 150g eld x to try, but after reading this thread, I figure all my bullets are crap, especially the 162 ELD-X.

I did have great luck with the 308 Win shooting sierra 168g MK seconds on jack rabbits and coyotes.

The sierra BTSP and nosler BT….
Capable of beautiful precision, for Me it was usually .005 off the lands to touching.
Absolute murder on deer, pig size stuff out to the moderate max ranges most animals are taken.
Cheaper, simpler, effective performance.
Just not sexy enough for a lot of guys today. I've always thought if a gun won't group with those 2 bullets, it's got issues…
Disappointing bullet? I haven't come across one yet 🤞.
I'm trying some new monos this year, hopefully they don't become the one….

I hope I am not out of line jumping in on this one, since it was directed at Calvin. I have shot a half dozen deer and antelope with the Hornady 150 Grain flat base interlock from my old Remington .270. One ran 30 yards, all the others buckled up knees and dropped. All were shot behind the shoulder. I would consider a shoulder shot with this bullet to be a shooter error, due to the design. I don't do shoulder shots where I hunt deer or pronghorn since they could run 300 yards and still get out of sight. If I hunt in the timbered mountain ridges, I switch to Partitions or a bonded or Hot core.
Not out of line at all.
This is very similar to my experience with the interlock bullets. I used to use the 139 grain interlock from my 7-08 and it worked well for behind the shoulder shots on whitetail. I wasn't pushing them very hard, maybe 2750 fps which is probably somewhat close to velocity you were getting in the 270 with 150 grain bullets.
I'm sure many animals larger than deer have fallen to the interlock through the years but I feel that it's a excellent deer bullet for behind the shoulder shots.
I never had a problem with them but switched to the 140 BT for the 7-08 and never loaded another interlock.

The flat base Interlocks are tougher than the Boat Tail versions, you can take that to the bank. The Hornady 154g SP out of a 7 Mag shoots holes through both shoulders of a 350 lb hog with ease. My cousin has shot the 139g Flat base on deer and hogs out of his Rem 7 Mag for over 20 years, hot load of IMR 4350, accuracy is great.

The 162g SST is a MUCH tougher bullet than most would ever think, none of that super explosive crap on this bullet. Two friends went to Africa with them loaded in a 7 STW at 3150 and they dropped 12 Plains game between them including two eland and two Kudu, all DRT.

Another tough bullet is the 150g Nosler ballistic tip. My brother did not believe me when I told him this, so it was show and tell time using quartering shots on hogs out of a 7 Mag with MV of 3150.

Another tough bullet is the 150g Nosler ballistic tip. My brother did not believe me when I told him this, so it was show and tell time using quartering shots on hogs out of a 7 Mag with MV of 3150.
Glad to hear this. I've got some of the 150 ballistic tips that I've been pondering on working up a load for my 280 AI and should be in the 3000-3050 fps range.

The flat base Interlocks are tougher than the Boat Tail versions, you can take that to the bank. The Hornady 154g SP out of a 7 Mag shoots holes through both shoulders of a 350 lb hog with ease. My cousin has shot the 139g Flat base on deer and hogs out of his Rem 7 Mag for over 20 years, hot load of IMR 4350, accuracy is great.

The 162g SST is a MUCH tougher bullet than most would ever think, none of that super explosive crap on this bullet. Two friends went to Africa with them loaded in a 7 STW at 3150 and they dropped 12 Plains game between them including two eland and two Kudu, all DRT.

I just started into my Browning Stainless Stalker 7mag with 162SST's & it loves them!
My 7-08's @ 2800 with 139 SST's work well on Mn whitetails
Meanwhile, my 2506 doesn't like Accubonds very well

I have watch possible 150 deer in S. Cal go down with 270 with 130gr Sierra boattails years go by. As many angles as possible. Never seen large blood shot area. They had them bumped up some too. No velocity ever taken. Shot were taken from 10yds to about 300yds. They were using open sights. They are all gone now. I learn a lot from them over the years. Some in determining where the animalwas hit and how they reacted. They were dead didn't know it. Deer and antelope hit in the liver. Run 20 to 50 yards. Stop drope nose to the ground an back up laborly. Run but don't bouchs, with the head even with their head even with their back. Yards varies. A lot of the time they kick like mule with their hind feet. Watch if they go straight down. Maybe gute shoot. Watch for several minutes out 5+ minutes. I had one get up and take off. I spent the entire afternoon tracking it. Across one Fwy. Almost walked into Rattlesnake too. It let me know that I was in the wrong place😅. Lost the deer. 😣**** I don't like that at all. Generally somebody else deer or elk wounded.

without a doubt the are extremely accurate BUT in velocities 3000fps they are worthless for hunting..
Interesting that you have different results than others

Recent Posts