The Facebook crazies

That's actually very possible. Being a 257 ackley can exceed 25-06 speeds. With a 115 grain Berger at 3200fps. It would be flatter than a 6.5 with a 140 at 2800 and probably have as much or less drift.
It would be slightly flatter but it would be a negative on less wind drift as well as energy.

It would be slightly flatter but it would be a negative on less wind drift as well as energy.
By about a inch with a 5 mph wind. It would also have about 25 less inches of drop. Which is quite a bit. To say that a 257AI wouldn't be able to beat a Creedmoor at 800 yards is ridiculous. Because it's very possible. Yeah it might not have as much energy but it will have a lot less drop and wind drift is literally a wash. Just think if that guy had a fast twist barrel and was driving a 130 grain VLD style bullet at 3000 it wouldn't even be close. It's obvious your a Creedmoor fan boy. But unless you've actually shot both cartridges at range don't assume. Nothing wrong with 1/4 bores I own as may of them as I own 6.5's. They will get the job done just as good.

I'd also say if your shooting game at 800 yards hopefully it's small game. Or hopefully your going to use something bigger than a 257 cartridge or a 6.5 Creedmoor or similar sized cases 6.5. Can you kill a deer size animal at that range with either yeah. But I wouldn't recommend it.

Wow. Some body didn't get their coffee this morning. Ok so here we go. I'll run some numbers for you. 800 yards in a 10 mph wind.

115 berger at 3200. 16.5 moa of come up, 5.4 moa windage, velocity 1787, energy 815.

140 eld-match at 2850. 18.8 moa of come up, 4.5 moa of drift, 1824 fps 1034 ftlbs.

This was ran at 1000 ft elevation. I ran 2850 for the 6.5 because that's what manuals list it at and that's actually slower than my loads but for arguements sake I ran 2850. As you can see, the 257 does not "spank" a 6.5 at 800 yards. I don't know what else to tell you.

I ran the very best 257 bullet available. So to make it fair, i would have to run the very best 6.5mm bullet available which is the 147 eld-maych and the 150 smk. Sierra lists their 150 at 2800 with a 24in barrel. So I'll run that number for you with a .710 bc.

18.9 moa come up, 4.1 moa come up, 1866 fps, 1160 ftlbs of energy.

You can THINK I'm a supporter if you'd like. I stay 100% as completely honest as I can. I just proved my arguement what have you done other than just spew off at the mouth? It's clear your on a mission against the 6.5 creed because of your hate for the supporters or whatever it may be.

I shoot both a 257wby and a 6.5 creed. Out to 4-500 yds the 257 does well in the wind with the extra speed but once it sheds that velocity then higher bc bullets of the 6.5 really start to shine. As a traditional deer hunting rifle the 257 wby can't be beat in my opinion, especially if you don't have a range finder, but at long range there just isn't the bullet selection available and that's just how it is.

Wow. Some body didn't get their coffee this morning. Ok so here we go. I'll run some numbers for you. 800 yards in a 10 mph wind.

115 berger at 3200. 16.5 moa of come up, 5.4 moa windage, velocity 1787, energy 815.

140 eld-match at 2850. 18.8 moa of come up, 4.5 moa of drift, 1824 fps 1034 ftlbs.

This was ran at 1000 ft elevation. I ran 2850 for the 6.5 because that's what manuals list it at and that's actually slower than my loads but for arguements sake I ran 2850. As you can see, the 257 does not "spank" a 6.5 at 800 yards. I don't know what else to tell you.

I ran the very best 257 bullet available. So to make it fair, i would have to run the very best 6.5mm bullet available which is the 147 eld-maych and the 150 smk. Sierra lists their 150 at 2800 with a 24in barrel. So I'll run that number for you with a .710 bc.

18.9 moa come up, 4.1 moa come up, 1866 fps, 1160 ftlbs of energy.

You can THINK I'm a supporter if you'd like. I stay 100% as completely honest as I can. I just proved my arguement what have you done other than just spew off at the mouth? It's clear your on a mission against the 6.5 creed because of your hate for the supporters or whatever it may be.
It's obvious your a fan boy by your name. I never said it will spank a Creedmoor. I said it's possible than it could beat it. Which it is. I also ran the numbers. And according to my sterlok app it's flatter and the wind drift in a 5mph wind is about the same. If you weren't such a fan boy you'd understand this and not have to go to such great lengths to defend the SUPER CREEDMOOR. All I'm saying is it's possible that it could do better at 800 yards and you just can't accept it. I dunno if it's because you think that there is no reason for 25 calibers or what. I suppose if Ruger decides to make a fast twist RPR 25creedmoor then it would be ok to keep the 1/4 bores around. I can also tell you that my 25-06 with 115 Bergers at 3300 is much flatter shooting to 1000 yards than my Creedmoor and in a 10mph wind it's only about a half MOA different. Yeah it doesn't have as much energy left but big whoop. If I'm worried about energy at that range I'll grab my 264

IMG_2051.JPG
Lee don't stir the pot! The thread was back on track with funny memes and posts!
Like this one???

It's obvious your a fan boy by your name. I never said it will spank a Creedmoor. I said it's possible than it could beat it. Which it is. I also ran the numbers. And according to my sterlok app it's flatter and the wind drift in a 5mph wind is about the same. If you weren't such a fan boy you'd understand this and not have to go to such great lengths to defend the SUPER CREEDMOOR. All I'm saying is it's possible that it could do better at 800 yards and you just can't accept it. I dunno if it's because you think that there is no reason for 25 calibers or what. I suppose if Ruger decides to make a fast twist RPR 25creedmoor then it would be ok to keep the 1/4 bores around. I can also tell you that my 25-06 with 115 Bergers at 3300 is much flatter shooting to 1000 yards than my Creedmoor and in a 10mph wind it's only about a half MOA different. Yeah it doesn't have as much energy left but big whoop. If I'm worried about energy at that range I'll grab my 264
Look guy, ill admit i used to be one. Hence the name. I've been apart of this forum for quite some time. I just never bothered to change my name. I didn't go through any great lengths to prove anything. That literally took me 2min. If you like 25 cal then fine shoot it. I'm not going to belittle you for it. (Unlike yourself). I also never said a 25 cal couldn't beat a 6.5. It boils down to the shooter. I was only referring to what some idiot told me nothing more. But to say the 257 is a superior cartridge is ignorance.

I don't claim to be some super duper long range shooter. I shoot 1k on a regular basis in the summer but never shot any game past 300. If you don't have anything decent to say then kindly go bark up a different tree. No need for this stupid crap.

Look guy, ill admit i used to be one. Hence the name. I've been apart of this forum for quite some time. I just never bothered to change my name. I didn't go through any great lengths to prove anything. That literally took me 2min. If you like 25 cal then fine shoot it. I'm not going to belittle you for it. (Unlike yourself). I also never said a 25 cal couldn't beat a 6.5. It boils down to the shooter. I was only referring to what some idiot told me nothing more. But to say the 257 is a superior cartridge is ignorance.

I don't claim to be some super duper long range shooter. I shoot 1k on a regular basis in the summer but never shot any game past 300. If you don't have anything decent to say then kindly go bark up a different tree. No need for this stupid crap.
Your taking it all wrong bud. I simply showed you some facts that it can is very possible. Maybe your reading between the lines? All I said is it's possible and it is. I like 1/4 bores as much as I like my 6.5/264s I have 3 of each. I don't know how I said anything mean or something that wasn't nice. Don't let words hurt you. Just having a little debate. Your not a millennial are you?? That last one is supposed to be funny because millennial sherd all upset when people use words that they don't agree with.

Lee don't stir the pot! The thread was back on track with funny memes and posts!
I have a good story for you. This was about 15 years ago. I was at the local range with my uncle and some of his buddies. They were getting ready to head out west. Anyways there was this older guy there not with our group. He was trying to sight in his new super duper 300 WBY Mag. He insisted on telling us how much better it was than our 264 win mags 7mm STW's and 300 win mag. This guy couldn't shoot that 300Roy for ****. I mean couldn't keep 3 shots on a paper plate at 100 yards. Anyhows we had a some clay pigeons set up on the sand bank about 225 yards away. We had shot all but two of them. The 300wby shooter ask us if he can shoot them and we say sure. Well this is the part of the story that I still can't believe I saw that day. He pulls out a 357 open sighted revolver props it on the sand bag. My uncle his buddies and myself are looking at each other like this guy can't be serious. He couldn't hit one of those with his scoped rifle now he's gonna try a pistol. On his first shot he smokes the clay pigeon. Looks at us says man I love my short guns. Packs up his stuffs and leaves. We pretty much stood there in disbelief. After the guy left my uncles buddy pulled out his 44 and couldn't even come with 40 yards of those pigeons.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts