TC Impact trigger, free floating, and bedding

bowhunter1661

good morning, this is my first post here so please forgive me if this topic has been addressed elsewhere. I have been looking everywhere online to find info on the impact for accurizing. I would really like to bed/pillar bed the butt stock and forend. The only problem is I have seen elsewhere that the receiver area is supposed to be free floated, not bedded like a regular rifle stock. Not sure if this is good info or not. Also the other issue is the screw locations for pillar bedding is very thin. It is approximately an 1/8th to a 1/4" thick in 3 of the 4 screw locations. I am not sure if this is enough surface area for the pillars to properly adhere and hold up to the vibrations. I also plan on free floating the forend and performing a trigger job. However I may leave the trigger job to a professional if anyone here has had difficulty getting the proper angle on the sear. Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated! This little gun is very accurate for what it is and I would like to make any improvements I can to make it that much better. My last trip to the range I was managing 1.5" groups at 100yds. Thank you!

First, welcome :)

I've had a lot of T/C's and have never heard of what you're attempting to do to an Impact, being done by another shooter. Encores, yes. That doesn't mean it can't be done though. Also you didn't mention the load or bullets you were shooting?

Try talking to Jim Hendershot: Index.htm

Although Mike doesn't work with Impacts, try Mike or Kurt: Home

Good luck with your attempt. Please post your results.

Thank for the reply!

My last trip I was shooting 110 gr BH209, harvester black crushed rib sabots, and 250 gr hornady FTX 450 bushmaster bullets. That was my best setup yet. I did however just receive a free sample of red harvester crushed ribs and their 300 gr PT GOLD bullets. They fit pretty tight but I think that they will seal better than the black. I have shot 90, 100, 110, and 120. I spoke with a gunsmith in town and he said that it is not possible to perform a full trigger job on this gun, but rather just "clean it up". I think I will do that myself due to the fact he has a 6 week lead time.

Also I have found the products I will be using for my pillar bedding project. I will be using 3/8" bronze bushings, 1/4" internal diameter and I will be bedding it with original JB WELD. That will be started tomorrow and I will update and post pics as I go! This is sort of a low budget build, but I am hoping all will work out well.

I am not totally sure just yet how to download pics on my iPhone so if anyone knows how to do this it would be greatly appreciated!

I apologize if this shows twice. I was having issues with getting messages to send yesterday. Thank you for your reply! I was shooting 100 gr BH209, harvester black crushed rib sabot, and hornady 250 gr FTX 450 bushmaster bullets. That is was I was able to get 1.5" with. However there was about a 20 mph cross wind. I have also shot 90, 110, and 120 with my best being 100 gr Bh209. I just received a sample of red crushed rib harvester sabots that fit much more snug, as well as their PT GOLD 300 gr bullets. I will be trying these out as soon as I get all these little projects done.

I also spoke to a gunsmith. He informed me a full trigger job is not possible on this gun but rather just a clean up is necessary. I may do this myself since his lead time is 6 weeks. If anyone would be able to give some advise on what areas to "clean up" that would be greatly appreciated!

I also started my pillar bedding this morning. I am using 3/8" OD 1/4" ID bronze bushings as my pillars. They fit perfectly in the recessed areas for the screws. I cannot figure out how to post pics off of my I phone though to show everyone. I would like to document this for others! Still haven't figured out wether to free float the receiver area or bed it.. If I can figure out how to post pics I will show you guys my progress so far.

Thank you!!!

With a break action, I don't see you gaining any improvements. I did a cva optima a few years back where I spent 3 hours carefully inletting the forearm to remove excess material, bedded the single screw that attached the forearm and after I was done, she still shot beautifully LOL.

Now the trigger part on the impact can be improved but most likely a job for a gunsmith that knows how to put all those springs and such back into place.

Although he's trying to get an Impact's frame and trigger modified, he may be better off to step up to a higher quality rifle. I think that if an Impact could be customized enough to make it shoot "that" much better, someone would have it posted someplace. I've searched all my sites and exhausted Google. Of course there always has to be a first.

I hate seeing shooters keep sending good money after bad. By the time a smith is involved and any other possible work, it may end up being better off to sell the rifle and purchase one of the top brands. A T/C Pro Hunter (easily modified) or a CVA Apex, and for production rifles, you've about topped out. Depending on the shooter's capabilities, those rifles may not shoot any better. Then of course the new Remington should be in the shops about any day now.

If you're shooting 1.5" groups at 100yds, that's darn good shoot'n. If you can keep that consistently, it may be necessary to work on the load slightly or your form.

I appreciate all the good advice fellas. I am somewhat of a tinkerer and enjoy doing these kinds of things. I may never get any more out of this gun but for little money it's worth a shot in my opinion. With the proper load, proper form, and these things done you never know it might shoot lights out. Then y'all may be buying impacts LOL! Like someone mentioned before, there always has to be a first. I will keep you guys updated on the results.

Just thought i would give a little update to my build. I finished pillar bedding and free floating the barrel this weekend.
gun2.jpg

gun3.jpg

gun4.jpg

gun5.jpg

gun6.jpg

gun9.jpg

In the second to last photo i filed down the guides for the ram rod as well. I will be seperating the forend from the barrel tomorrow. After that is done I will post pics of the pillars. Also I plan on starting the pillar bedding and reciever bedding this week and will get that posted when it is started.

Well I finished the pillar bedding on the forearm this weekend. Thankfully it seperated LOL! I think it turned out pretty good, not exactly the most pretty job in the world I'm sure but it function very well. The pillars are perfectly molded to the pillar on the barrel. When the forearm is installed it sets perfectly in place with no barrel contact, other than the pillars. The only one that I worry about is the one in the rear which turned out slighty thin on the edges (see second photo).

Also I began prep for pillar bedding the reciever and bedding. See rest of photos!
Let me know what you guys think thus far! Good or bad, I'll take it!
Front forearm pillar
gun1.JPG
Rear forearm pillar
gun2.JPG
Cutting my pillar out of 3/8" round bar.
gun3.JPG
I drilled out the previous screw hole to fit the pillar that I made. (Bottom)
gun4.JPG
Pillar hole (Top)
gun5.JPG
Pillar mocked up
gun6.JPG

Reciever area with mocked up pillar
gun7.JPG
Pillar
gun8.JPG

Luckily the recoil lug is already bedding in with steel tubing so that sould be good! The only thing left is to have the pillar drilled then epoxy the pillar and bed the action.

Finished free floating the barrel last night where it sits in the butt stock.
photo 3.JPG

photo 4-3.JPG

photo 5.JPG
Best group yet. 100yd, 100gr BH209, Hornady FTX BUSHMASTER 450 BULLET, BLACK CRUSHED RIB HARVESTER SABOTS, CCI MAGNUM SHOTGUN
photo 2.JPG

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 207
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts