Surprise - surprise - surprise

This is why I clean carbon every 50-100 I don't usually have to mess with copper on a custom barrel that has been hand lapped but veto on is something I chase. I have and had mutism's 6.5-284's and they developed rings.

drill and a ss brush
I cringe whenever I hear of someone using this method of cleaning on a rifle bore. In general it's not a good idea to use stainless steel on a drill to clean a rifle barrel. While stainless steel is somewhat softer than carbon steel the rotary motion of it moving down the barrel has a tendency to eventually knock the sharp edges off of the rifling which will degrade accuracy. Stainless steel brushes, which are stiffer than bronze seem to work well when used in a conventional method to help break up carbon and copper fouling, on the end of a cleaning rod and pushed back and forth through the barrel.

Varmint Hunter, you are a good friend to clean that 20 year old rifle for your buddy!!! I will never understand why guys buy a rifle and then treat it as if they hate it. I have friends that went to that school as well. Except mine tell me "If miss a deer, its your fault." Pray for me !!

I cringe whenever I hear of someone using this method of cleaning on a rifle bore. In general it's not a good idea to use stainless steel on a drill to clean a rifle barrel. While stainless steel is somewhat softer than carbon steel the rotary motion of it moving down the barrel has a tendency to eventually knock the sharp edges off of the rifling which will degrade accuracy. Stainless steel brushes, which are stiffer than bronze seem to work well when used in a conventional method to help break up carbon and copper fouling, on the end of a cleaning rod and pushed back and forth through the barrel.
I have never tried using a brush in a drill on a rifle bore. I've always treated them like they were made of glass. That being said, I've always used a drill to clean my Skeet gun and so does everyone else that shoots competition. These things can cost $50k or more. They have aluminum barrels for the sub gauges. We clean them all with a bronze brush and a drill. Doesn't hurt the aluminum barrels at all. We use plenty of solvent for lube and cleaning. They get so much plastic built up in them it is amazing. I let them go and clean before we go to a big shoot. All that being said, Makes me wonder if we are just following tradition. Wish someone would be willing to sacrifice a barrel that had the equipment to actually find out the true effects. I suspect, like Isso, etc, it would be fine if not overdone. As for the SS brush, I would never try it in a shotgun with a drill, or a rifle.

Recent Posts