Suppressors Shorten Barrel Life?

Autorotate19

I was watching a show the other day on the outdoor channel and they said that suppressors shorten barrel life around 25%. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Nope. First I've heard of it. Why they would make the statement and then provide no explanation? Guess they're experts and don't need to explain themselves.

Don't own any, but been a lingering shopper/researcher for a good while.

If they extend hearing by 25%, they'd be worth it?

Never heard that before in my life, and been [independently] studying (not building) suppressors and baffle designs for years. Never once heard that it shortens barrel life. My guess is they're either misinformed, morons, or paid shills for the left, who want to keep suppressor sales down.

Last edited:
for a bolt action 308 which typically uses H380 for the full power 175gr stuff, I shoot 8.6 gr of N310 for suppressed. so obviously, its a much smaller powder charge and faster burn time. But unless I shot ONLY subs in the rifle, and had 2 identical barrels to perform tests, I wouldn't know about the 25% less claim. Ithink Hillary said that crime would go up 25 percent if silencers were taken off the NFA list though....

Barrels usually die from throat erosion due to extreme heat and pressure. When shooting suppressed my cases eject cool to the touch and I would think it more likely you will clean your barrel to death before you erode it out. Think about a .22 LR compared to a .223.

I saw it on Long Range Reality which follows the Riflemans Team Challenge Competitors and it was said by one of the shooters on there. The only thing I have been able to find in my search is that a can traps more heat and keeps it in the barrel longer. It also said that most of this info comes from gas guns but bolt actions they didn't have as much data.

for a bolt action 308 which typically uses H380 for the full power 175gr stuff, I shoot 8.6 gr of N310 for suppressed. so obviously, its a much smaller powder charge and faster burn time. But unless I shot ONLY subs in the rifle, and had 2 identical barrels to perform tests, I wouldn't know about the 25% less claim. Ithink Hillary said that crime would go up 25 percent if silencers were taken off the NFA list though....

I'm talking about running full power supersonic loads with a can. I don't shoot subsonic much.

I appreciate all the replies!

I saw it on Long Range Reality which follows the Riflemans Team Challenge Competitors and it was said by one of the shooters on there. The only thing I have been able to find in my search is that a can traps more heat and keeps it in the barrel longer. It also said that most of this info comes from gas guns but bolt actions they didn't have as much data.
That was the only explanation I could think of, but didn't mention it because I didn't think it plausible.
Who burns out enough barrels, one suppressed and one never suppressed to know? Not the average gun owner.
Maybe myth busters.
Hard to understand how this would ever affect me one way or the other unless I suppressed my AR. I don't shoot my bolt rifles fast enough that it could possibly ever make a difference in elevated bore temps.

It makes sense to me that it wouldn't shorten barrel life. Iv never noticed any extra barrel heat running my can. The can gets really hot but barrel heat doesn't seem to be any different.

The added heat should be in the can not the barrel.

Theoretically and rhetorically. If the can is kept hot hot hot the heat will flow to what ever is colder by the easiest means. It's a physics thing, heat flows to cold.

If you let everything heat up to the same temperatures as rapid continuous fire without a can then both rifles will burn at the same rate. It could take a few less rounds less with a rifle with a can but not much and you sort of have to get the barrel hot on purpose.

All that is theoretical and just for grins sayin'. In reality if the same rules are used with a can as without. Specifically stop shooting when the barrel is to hot to hold you hand around, there would be negligible difference.

Hey, the below is copied and pasted from Barlein Barrels web site. Don't shoot me! I'm just the lowly messenger! :) I was shopping for a new barrel when I came across this in their FAQs section...

Do shooting suppressors have an effect on barrel life?

Yes they do. On a gas gun it can shorten barrel life as much as 50%. It does shorten bolt gun barrel life but we don't have hard numbers on that. What happens is the suppressor is keeping more of the fouling inside the bore of the barrel and with this happening it shortens the barrel life. On the gas guns it also accelerates the wear of the gas port. Which will also lead to bullet failure and damage to the suppressor.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.