Soft Point Bullets

That would depend on the exact bullet and loading. Some soft points are fast opening with thin jackets, others are slower opening with thicker jackets. Some have better BC's than others. Most soft lead tipped bullets are ballistic garbage so even in magnums, much beyond 600m is really pushing it as a matter of generality.

For my money, as long as it's still supersonic it's fine but I don't push my hunting distances past my personal chip shot distance. Beyond 300m is starting to get into my "get closer" territory despite being extremely comfortable shooting in competition settings to whatever distance my bullets will get to and still be supersonic.

This is what I was asking for. Thank you. I figured 700 yards would be about the max.

Capt RB, thank you for the response. Mainly I'm talking about a 100 Sierra game king in a 243 and a 165 Sierra game king in a 308.
How far can you hit a paper plate every shot from both? In the 243 try the 95tmk bc .500 and 90 game changer .490. Both have much higher bc's. The Ballistic coefficient for the 100gmk is .43 Above 2800fps and .419 2800-2200fps In the 308 The 168 was designed for a 600yd target bullet. The 165 is similar in shape but even less aerodynamic. With a .409 BC @ 2650 your at 1000# of energy at 500yds. The berger I shoot in my solver is corrected to .496 @ 2882fps and proven out to 1100yds @ 35 degrees 1300ft elevation. It has 957# of energy @ 850 where I hunt. If I were you I would look at these bullets the 165 gamechanger the berger 168 175 elite hunter and 180 all have good shape . The ELD X and 178 eldm Both are in the .530and up range. These will go through the wind better and deliver more energy on target. They are hardly the only bullets that do this. Nosler makes some good game bullets that are also good in the wind. However you need to shoot them because what the box says and what the bullet actually drops isn't even remotely the same in alot of cases.
Hammer bullets are also a good option especially in the 243.

Depending on caliber and bullet speed and coefficient.

My Hornady custom 165 gr 308 can stretch out to 450 500 and still be over a 1000 #s of energy.

I also believe Soft Point reduces bullet velocity(travel time) as well, if the tooltip is anything to go by.

So it is extremely situational, to the point I'd say it's impractical and actually a downright downgrade that costs 100 certs.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts