Soft Point Bullets

Poorboyr

Just wondering how far you guys are stretching your soft point bullets out too. I was thinking a max range of around 700 before the bullet just deteriorated. Thanks

That would depend on the exact bullet and loading. Some soft points are fast opening with thin jackets, others are slower opening with thicker jackets. Some have better BC's than others. Most soft lead tipped bullets are ballistic garbage so even in magnums, much beyond 600m is really pushing it as a matter of generality.

For my money, as long as it's still supersonic it's fine but I don't push my hunting distances past my personal chip shot distance. Beyond 300m is starting to get into my "get closer" territory despite being extremely comfortable shooting in competition settings to whatever distance my bullets will get to and still be supersonic.

I think it depends on what speed the manufacturer designed the given bullet to be effective, intended use, and validation on your part, I don't know if your considering the hornady interlocks, Speer hot cors btsp bullets "soft points" or not, psp by name is pointed soft point, but I've had good luck out to a 1000 on steel, which is about as far as I've gotten to so far, and I'm not quite sure what you mean by deterioration, are you referring to velocity or the bullet itself ... I have found bullets at long distances pretty much as they left the barrel as they had a soft landing in loose dirt

Do the math. At what point does the soft point no longer have the energy? At what point is the soft point unable to be accurately place in the vital zone? All of these questions have answers you can figure out. Using a ballistic program will show most exposed lead tipped soft points have woeful drag coefficients. That will also prove itself out in the wind much closer than the actual energy drops below accepted levels. I shot quite a few 200grn partitions and Speer Hot cors at game at then longer distances when I was young. These were out of 300 mags. They killed well at the distances I used them but today these shots would be chip shots for far lesser cartridges.

Basically all I'm asking is at what distance do soft points pretty much break down and not do what they are designed to do. (Kill distance). I've never shot a deer beyond 350 yards with a soft point, so just seeing if anyone else gotten farther than that. I'm just looking for a general number.

Help us help you what kind of ammunition are you using in what caliber gun, there's no basic answer for your question without basic input on your part, it's a long range forum and you can acquire good information but we need more details at distance it matters

Basically all I'm asking is at what distance do soft points pretty much break down and not do what they are designed to do. (Kill distance). I've never shot a deer beyond 350 yards with a soft point, so just seeing if anyone else gotten farther than that. I'm just looking for a general number.
It will depend on the numbers. Drive it with a 30-30 will be different than driving it with a 300 Weatherby. In high speed footage you can see the lead tip melting. This will create a larger cross sectional nose slowing the bullet faster than the original profile. Some programs can show this. Some bullets will have very poor bc numbers to reflect this. Shooting them on a range for drops will also show this.
Point being figure out what the game your pursuing requires for energy to cleanly kill. Then match that with the size of the vital zone. Now you have an energy level and an accuracy level you must meet to ethically attempt to take that animal. Will the bullet you choose do this? What bullets are suited? are they better bullets ballistically? Are there better bullets terminally?
Soft points kill game well when used within the envelope in which they are designed to be used. Most are designed for use in a maximum point blank range for a given sized animal. They will kill game much further when properly place with the right amount of energy for the intended species.
Range time shooting targets with a soft point will tell you how far you can hunt with it. Take a 10" round peice of steel and where you can't hit 100% of the time is where the accuracy limit is. Then run it through a ballistics solver to determine what the energy is at that range? Is that adequate for the species?
100% of the time is in any weather wind no wind rain snow etc. I can hit that with my 308 at 800 at about 85%. For that rifle I can hit it 100 percent at 650 when set up prone. If I'm not prone but off a tripod I still can make that shot 100%. Standing off hand nope 65% maybe 75% in a no wind situation slung.
This is with match bullets and proven load work with verified drops to 1100 yds. The bullet of choice here is the 168 vld hunting from berger. I just finished my load map yesterday with a 150 match bullet that is more accurate but being a solid it has no purpose in the hunting field.

Capt RB, thank you for the response. Mainly I'm talking about a 100 Sierra game king in a 243 and a 165 Sierra game king in a 308.

Take you a stack of paper plates out, start at 200 yds keep moving back in 50 yd increments when you no longer can consistently hit the plate you have your answer for your abilities with each gun, based on your replys I think 700 yards may prove difficult, good luck

Don't mean to avoid the distance number question you asked for in your original post, and the bullets you mentioned your using are quality hunting bullets, but "your" ability determines the effectiveness at distance of those bullets and thats only something you can determine

Thank you all for the replies. I appreciate everyone's response but this isn't a question of accuracy. My shooting ability is not my concern. I'm merely asking a question as to when soft point bullets lose their ability for what they were designed for. I've taken game changers and match kings out past 1300 yards. I'm going to begin to load soft points and was just curious before I started shooting. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.