smokeless shot wait/cooling time ???

JeffB1961

sooooo ..... FWIU using sabot loads i should give a few to several minutes to cool the barrel before reloading when shooting paper or targets so the sabots don't melt in the rifling. if i'm shooting full bore or bore riders AND they are sized correctly for my woodman patriot .45 brux and using a wad .... is a cooling period still necessary ? i'm thinking i could in no way load and shoot faster than someone with a 45-70 bolt or lever gun and that it should apply . but i don't know that for a fact , so i thought i would ask you folks . i only use 4198 and n110 currently but i plan on getting some n120 when i find it .

@JeffB1961
Unless I’m shooting a 500 yard ladder developing a load or shooting a competition (up to 5 shots per relay) I don’t shoot more than 3 shots in a string. I’m shooting smooth sized bullets, no wad and anywhere from 91 to 105 grains of smokeless powder depending on the load (my barrel has a 1.25” for 5” shank by the way). In the summertime, trust me…my barrel gets hot….even with the time it takes to load it up again. I’ve never shot sabots and I’m not familiar with what the ‘Woodman Patriot’ rifle can handle. I’d suggest letting her cool down a little if the barrel is hot to the touch….just like a Centerfire rifle.
Maybe @ENCORE can chime in here a little as well. 😎

sooooo ..... FWIU using sabot loads i should give a few to several minutes to cool the barrel before reloading when shooting paper or targets so the sabots don't melt in the rifling. if i'm shooting full bore or bore riders AND they are sized correctly for my woodman patriot .45 brux and using a wad .... is a cooling period still necessary ? i'm thinking i could in no way load and shoot faster than someone with a 45-70 bolt or lever gun and that it should apply . but i don't know that for a fact , so i thought i would ask you folks . i only use 4198 and n110 currently but i plan on getting some n120 when i find it .
This is what barrel heat will do to a sabot, and this was when shooting BH209. When shooting sabots, you need to let the barrel cool, especially when its warm/hot out.

Sabot and heat.jpg

With bullet to bore, you completely eliminate this issue. I wouldn't recommend you shoot like this though:
big-machine-gun.gif

Bullet to bore you can shoot one right after the other. We shoot to 1,000yds at Camp Atterbury under a strict time limit, and while shooting prone. You have 30min to send all your sighters and 10 rounds for score.
It's something you couldn't do while using sabots in the June heat, or even September for that fact.

Yup. With my Smokless muzzleloader I do no more then 5 shots before I take a break. It heats up but bullet to bore is the best and eliminates any sabots. Mine heats up but it's not the same as a center fire rifle. But in theory you absolutely can shoot one after another over like a 15 minute period. But I am sure accuracy would degrade a bit.
5 shots one after another is no issue at all and can easily maintain sub .5 groups. Never pushed myself to do a bunch of shots without a break of some kind.