Smallest caliber for Montana Mule Deer Rifle

It is sad to see “real” hunters disparaging the stand hunters. Aren’t we all just hunters? I lived in Colorado for 14 years, I live in Florida now. In Colorado I used a, wait for it, 30-30. All shots 200 yards or less of course. In Florida a 6.5 Grendel or 308 for distance - 200 - 400 yards. I am not a long range hunter, yet. But I respect my fellow hunters, now I hunt with a crossbow, am I still a hunter? I use an inline muzzle loader am I still a hunter? I use stationary and climbing tree stands? Am I still a hunter? We are our own worst enemies. I read this forum to learn and to live vicariously through you guys. But the hate is stupid.

It is sad to see “real” hunters disparaging the stand hunters. Aren’t we all just hunters? I lived in Colorado for 14 years, I live in Florida now. In Colorado I used a, wait for it, 30-30. All shots 200 yards or less of course. In Florida a 6.5 Grendel or 308 for distance - 200 - 400 yards. I am not a long range hunter, yet. But I respect my fellow hunters, now I hunt with a crossbow, am I still a hunter? I use an inline muzzle loader am I still a hunter? I use stationary and climbing tree stands? Am I still a hunter? We are our own worst enemies. I read this forum to learn and to live vicariously through you guys. But the hate is stupid.
You define the word "Hunter". Adaptable and changing with age to accommodate yourself. Kudos

It's a funny subject when some people define themselves as hunters then criticize those that don't meet that same criteria. I love LR shooting and even more hunting. My backstory is, I've been an archery hunter for decades using a compound bow killing deer out to 60,70 plus yards on occasion. Mostly 20-25 yards are my typical shots. Started using a crossbow for December hunting so I can sit in a heated blind just to enjoy the hunt and maybe put some venison in the freezer filling a doe tag or two. Decided to go to the stick and string version having a custom hybrid flatbow built for my archery season weapon. Wanted to get close (within 15 yards) for all shots on deer and bear. Very challenging and satisfying for sure. Been hunting this way for several years successfully. To me, this up close and personal hunting is much like LR hunting. Many think it's easy killing game at half mile or more ranges. They don't consider wind or environmental conditions. Considering all these factors and shooting targets in these conditions will humble most. Of all animals I've had in my cross hairs at 800 yards plus, I'll bet I've only touched the trigger on 10% of those animals. Too many factors took the opportunity away from me. Wind, shot acquisition, rest or the animals body language play the bigger role in this success. Same with shooting deer up close with primitive gear. Pick the challenge you prefer but don't pick on those that chose which challenge they prefer.

In rethinking my MT mule deer rifle. No elk, just deer. Out to 600ish.

What is the smallest caliber you would build for this purpose?
Gosh smallest is so arguable. Best even more so. Maybe most comfortable cartridge for this task is how I personally will respond. For me, it's a mid case capacity 6.5 cartridge. This isn't to say that a .257 in the same case capacity couldn't easily do the job as easy because it could. This is just my personal choice. Having a 25-284 that shoots the 131-135 grain bullets superbly out to 1200 yards and has killed deer out to 660 DRT, it's not the issue. For me its just my preference due to the bullet selection offered up to 150 grain bullets. Flat, accurate and excellent heavy for caliber ballistics. 6.5 PRC, 6.5-284 or 26 Nosler are good options but the 6.5 CM or 260 are as good if I'm deciding on what I'd take for the task.

For me after living there for 25+ years, I would build it around the 6mm Creed, only because it is a little more than the .243, not that the .243 is not good but I would want to use the longest action that it will feed out of and it would wear a 1/7 twist for those very long sleek bullets that excel at 1000 yards. I would get the most non sensitive powder I cold and start playing. I used a .Rem 600 in .243 back in 69 to take a very nice Muley ,2 shots as fast as I could displaced that race horse at about 45 yds, running full tilt out of the Junipers from probably a predator that was hungry. It is mounted on my wall along side my Antelope that was taken with my bow in 1984 at ...........................you wouldn't believe how far, those are the only 2 mounts I have on the wall as they are the most remembered for special reasons Pete p.s. I'd try something along the side of a 108 - 115 gr. and a strong dose of 6.5 STABALL

I posted the RS .223/ 77gr TMK thread on here. And though I think that combination is interesting and deserves to be put into my toolbox I'd reach for my 260 AI or 7mm RM. Just a personal choice out of my arsenal.

I shot my first Deer at the age of 12 with a 243 Remington rifle and that was 60 years ago.
Seen then I have own at some time every thing from a 6mm to 338 Norma of all these caliber
for me I like the 6.5 bullet, my rifle is chamber in 6.5/300 Norma and the bullets weights I
use are 130g. 140g. 150g. 156g. and160g. I can use these on White Tail to Elk. I like 3,000
per second for velocity for all rounds and at that speed with high BC I get lest wind drift

ddc5fb19-1cbe-4881-8412-3d8e2f240022.jpg

IMHO - If you are shooting out to 600 yards on any of our edible wildlife with any caliber you are casting and not hunting and stalking your intended game. I myself wouldn’t hunt deer sized game with anything smaller then .244 caliber and actually prefer my 6.5x55 Swede for such as a task.

Well this thread has done what usually happens here on LRH when an “opinion” question is asked. Will just make one comment, if you can not read others opinions that may differ from yours without having an uncontrollable urge to discredit that opinion, perhaps our confidence levels need a bit of improving. Most of us have some experience, some have very little, some have a load, some of us have done this professionally for decades and had the ability to test theory and opinion and see what actually happens on the real world when bullets leave the muzzle and hit the target.

Reading through all these posts there is not a single post hardly that i could not find something to agree with, AS WELL AS disagree with. I feel i have been fortunate and blessed in my life to gain more knowledge and wisdom in this sport then most have been able to but also with that wisdom and experience comes the confidence to share my thoughts based on decades of real world testing and also read others comments and opinions that i may or may not agree with and feel no reason to challenge those comments as long as there is no risk to those reading the opinions shared.

We all need to settle down a bit. The OP asked an opinion question, if you do not understand that will result in a wide range of opinions, most of which may not be inline with your own, maybe we need to take ourselves a bit less serious……. We all have our experiences, share and let others share. If dangerous opinions are shared then respectfully bring up concerns. However, this thread really is not that type of thread…..

share your opinion and have the confidence to leave it at that, or make sure your replies are respectful. I have killed deer with 221 FB handguns, i have killed deer with 50 bmg rifles and with most calibers in between these. i have killed deer at 5 yards, i have killed deer at 1600 yards and at almost every 100 yards between these two, hundreds of them. I shared my recommendation and the fact that someone else recommends a 223 with a 77 gr SMK gives me no reason to fire back at them, agreeing with them or not. Just another example of what these threads usually devolve into often here on LRH.com. Been happening for longer then most on this thread have been members on this site…. I know that because i have been witnessing this exact thing since almost day one then Len started this site……. We can do better. Do not mind lively debate, just keep it fact based, share your info and let it go.