Smallest caliber for Montana Mule Deer Rifle

Probably shouldn't talk about the elk I've killed with a 223 or 22-250. They seemed to die rather quick with their lungs popped just like the deer!
Bigngreen you'd absolutely love my 84M with a Lilja 8 twist on it. Cut to 23", .62" at the muzzle "all up" it weighs 6.5 lbs with a 3-10 Leo and M1 on top, in Talley's and one of Scenar's Montana gun slings.

Absolute drill!

Bigngreen you'd absolutely love my 84M with a Lilja 8 twist on it. Cut to 23", .62" at the muzzle "all up" it weighs 6.5 lbs with a 3-10 Leo and M1 on top, in Talley's and one of Scenar's Montana gun slings.

Absolute drill!
My problem is I still love big stuff with long barrels, everytime I build a rifle the barrel ends up staying long.

In rethinking my MT mule deer rifle. No elk, just deer. Out to 600ish.

What is the smallest caliber you would build for this purpose?
Such a simple question and anyone who answers it honestly has the correct answer. "What is the smallest caliber YOU would build for this purpose." Always amazes me that Karen won't let you do you without a fight. I have not killed a mule deer past 505 yards and I have only killed 2 Montana mule deer at any distance so I have no first hand experience. If you practice enough to hit deer vitals at 600 consistently and can do math you can probably pick one of the countless cartridge/bullet combos to get this done from 22 cal. on up without 30 pages of strangers arguing. I guess it passes the time until there are tags to fill again. Carry on.

Recent Posts